Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Team for Colchester

I know we have done this before, but with the big kick off only 10 days away now.

Also I can''t see us adding to the squad past Askou and Maric.

Therefore here is my team:

Theo

Spillane Nelson Doherty(C) Drury

Whaley Gill Hughes

Hoolahan

Holt Cureton

Subs:

Alnwick (G)

Askou

Adeyemi

Maric

Tudur -Jones

Martin

McVeigh

I don''t think I''ll be alone in saying that Cureton shouldn''t be in the team.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I know we have done this before, but with the big kick off only 10 days away now. Also I can''t see us adding to the squad past Askou and Maric. Therefore here is my team: Theo Spillane Nelson Doherty(C) Drury Whaley Gill Hughes Hoolahan Holt Cureton Subs: Alnwick (G) Askou Adeyemi Maric Tudur -Jones Martin McVeigh[/quote]change Curo for Maric [Y] or Cody mac if he,s fit

I agree with the back four, but I think you need Tudur- Jones presence in midfield as Gill and Hughes are too much alike, particularly if Hoolahan plays in the hole. How on earth do you justify Cureton, particularly if Maric signs? He''s done sod all in pre-season (two goals against a poor Ridgeons One side hardly count) other than prove that he''s past it.

Seriously Jim, Cureton!!!!!!!!!

You are having a laugh.  If Maric signs, Cureton will hardly feature this season as he will be fifth in line for a starting place behind Maric, Holt, Martin, Cody.

For me....Same team as last night with possibly Maric instead of Martin. 

I think Adeyemi has done more than enough to warrant a start....meaning there is a REAL headache in the centre of the park as I want to see all the others played...poor old fatty Patty he will be cutting oranges

[quote user="Canary in Enemy Territory"]Theo

Spillane Nelson Doc Drury

Whaley Tudor-Jones Gill Hoolahan

Holt Maric

Subs:

Alnwick

Askou

Wiggins

Semmy

Adeyemi

Mcveigh

Macdonald[/quote]That''s the one. Right there. I might be inclined to have curo on bench but otherwise....

Theolopodopodus

Semmi            Nelson         Doc               Drury

Whaley            Gill              OTJ               Hoolahan

Maric          Holt

Err do you want us to lose? Because including Cureton would seriously add to that threat, i wouldn''t even have him on the bench.                  TheoSpillane  Doc    Nelson  Drury (Wiggins when fit)Whaley  TJ    Hughes    Hoolahan            Holt    MartinAskou, Alnwick, Maric, Mcdonald, Gill, Otsemobor, Adeyemi.

[quote user="Canary in Enemy Territory"]Theo

Spillane Nelson Doc Drury

Whaley Tudor-Jones Gill Hoolahan

Holt Maric

Subs:

Alnwick

Askou

Wiggins

Semmy

Adeyemi

Mcveigh

Macdonald[/quote]I think Martin will be included.

I haven''t got to any friendlies yet so I haven''t seen some of the new lads but I''d expect something like this:

Theo

Semmy     Doc  Nelson (if he''s ok)   Drury

Whaley    OTJ   ???     Hoolahan

Holt    Martin (if nobody else arrives)

I guess if it''s true about how much they''re paying Hughes then he''s likely to start in midfield if he''s fit. If not I think it''ll be Gill.

GK - Theoklitos
DL - Drury (Wiggins needs more time)
DR - Spillaine (excellent last night)
DC - Doherty
DC - Nelson
ML - Hoolahan
MR - Whaley
MC - Gill
MC - Tudor-Jones (harsh on Hughes, but these two formed a good partnership)
S     - Holt
S     - Maric

Subs: Alnwick, Otsemobor (for his pace), Askou, Martin, McVeigh, Hughes, Lappin/McDonald

Pattison, Adeyemi, Stefanovic, Wiggins, Rudd, Cureton, Russel all not making the squad. The last two shouldn''t make the squad ever again in my opinion, but superb depth is shown by the first 5! If we got another striker in I''d lose Askou from the bench and go with him instead, as Otsemobor could cover RB with Spillaine shifting to CB in an emergency.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]

GK - Theoklitos
DL - Drury (Wiggins needs more time)
DR - Spillaine (excellent last night)
DC - Doherty
DC - Nelson
ML - Hoolahan
MR - Whaley
MC - Gill
MC - Tudor-Jones (harsh on Hughes, but these two formed a good partnership)
S     - Holt
S     - Maric

Subs: Alnwick, Otsemobor (for his pace), Askou, Martin, McVeigh, Hughes, Lappin/McDonald

Pattison, Adeyemi, Stefanovic, Wiggins, Rudd, Cureton, Russel all not making the squad. The last two shouldn''t make the squad ever again in my opinion, but superb depth is shown by the first 5! If we got another striker in I''d lose Askou from the bench and go with him instead, as Otsemobor could cover RB with Spillaine shifting to CB in an emergency.

[/quote]

Cody should never make the squad again... WTF??????

Nooooooooo...I mean Cureton and Russel! Neither are good enough, yet Russel at least believes he''s good enough to be playing far higher.

Cody will be a useful player this year. Off the bench at first, then possibly coming into it more as the season draws on, and the "big" defenders tire.

With Lappin, I think he''ll be a solid (if not spectacular) back-up to Hoolahan, and it''s depth like this that will help this year.

No doubt in my mind that the team that started last night is what gunn regards as his stringest team at present. The only areas up for debate my be Maric/Cody instead of Martin and whether Hughes can force his way in. If so i think Gunn may be tempted (espeacially away from home) to play Hoolahan behind Holt and play Hughes as one of the wide midfielders.

Suspect though Hughes may have to be content with the bench against Col U, Cody may not be fit enough so Maric for Martin the only possible change if he signs.

Mine would be:

GK - Theo

DR - Spillane

DL - Drury if Wiggins is not fit

DC - Doc

DC - Nelson

MR - Whaley

ML - Hoolahan

DMC - OTJ

CM - Gill

ST - Holt

ST - Mcdonald - Would change this to Maric if he signs

Subs

1. Alnwick (gk) 2. Askou (DC) 3. Lappin (DL, ML) 4. Hughes (MC) 5. Semi (DR) 6. McSmall (MR, ML, ST) 7. Martin (ST) or Mcdonald if Maric has signed,

With that bench every position is covered if we get any injuries etc,

Would have Gill in instead of Hughes for now as he and OTJ seem to be getting better at playing together and I feel hughes needs to prove himself a little bit

Theo

Nelson                      Doherty

Ostemobor                                                        Wiggans

Tuder-jones   Adeyemi 

Hughes

Whaley                                                         Hoolahan

Holt

subs: alnwick spillain dury pattison gill macdonald martin

My starting 11 wth current squad would have liked them to try this formation in the friendlies. When defending it can be a 4 5 1 formation then on attack 4 3 3 most  clubs use this formation since mourhino stumbled across it at chelsea after injuries..?

GK - Theo

RB - Spillane

CB - Doc

CB - Nelson

LB - Drury

RM - Whaley

CM - OTJ

CM - Gill

LM - Hoolahan

ST - Holt

ST - Cody Mac

Subs:

Alnwick, Hughes, Wiggins, Askou, Maric, Adeyemi, WLY.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

No doubt in my mind that the team that started last night is what gunn regards as his stringest team at present. The only areas up for debate my be Maric/Cody

[/quote]

I think you might find that Semmy is still just ahead of Spillane for the right back spot.

Might be wrong but my gut feeling is that he''ll start the season as first choice.

Based on the squad we''ve got and without the two contracts that have been offered not actually signed od go for:

Theoklitos

Otsemebor (give him a couple of games and if he ends up pants then replace him with spillane)

Doc

Nelson

Drury

Whaley

Gill

OTJ

Hoolahoop (With free reign on the pitch)

Holt

Cody

Subs: Alnwick, Adeyemi, Martin, Spillane, Stephens, Hughes, Cureton

but if wiggins is fit then him on the bench rather then curo...or even mcveigh instead of curo

So you would put an untried left back recovering from injury ahead of Lappin, and you would put an unfit and untried MacDonald ahead of Martin?  Bloody glad you are not the manager![quote user="Butterbean_Canary"]

Mine would be:

GK - Theo

DR - Spillane

DL - Drury if Wiggins is not fit

DC - Doc

DC - Nelson

MR - Whaley

ML - Hoolahan

DMC - OTJ

CM - Gill

ST - Holt

ST - Mcdonald - Would change this to Maric if he signs

Subs

1. Alnwick (gk) 2. Askou (DC) 3. Lappin (DL, ML) 4. Hughes (MC) 5. Semi (DR) 6. McSmall (MR, ML, ST) 7. Martin (ST) or Mcdonald if Maric has signed,

With that bench every position is covered if we get any injuries etc,

Would have Gill in instead of Hughes for now as he and OTJ seem to be getting better at playing together and I feel hughes needs to prove himself a little bit

[/quote]

WLY should be ahead of Curo.

WLY wouldn''t be a bad bet for the striker spot alongside Holt if Maric hasn''t signed.

I do so hope that "most  clubs use this formation since mourhino stumbled across it at chelsea after injuries..?" is being silly?No most clubs do not use it, only those with quality, pacey full backs and an exceptional defensive midfielder!

GK - Theo

RB - Otsemebor

CB - Doherty

CB - Askou

LB - Drury

RM - Whaley

CM - Adeyemi

CM - Tudor Jones

LM - Hoolahan

ST - Holt

ST - McDonald

SUBS - Alnwick, Spillane, Nelson, Gill, Hughes, Maric, Martin

[quote user="Lambo"]WLY should be ahead of Curo. WLY wouldn''t be a bad bet for the striker spot alongside Holt if Maric hasn''t signed.[/quote]

I agree.

If it was the last minute of the game, we needed a goal and a chance fell kindly to us I would feel much more confident if it fell to McVeigh than I would Cureton.