Sign in to follow this  
Earlsfield

Maric 1 year contract..

suggests to me he is extremely confident of bagging a hatful this season, hoping to get notcied by a bigger club next.  Thoughts?

Or maybe the board has learnt about signing foreign strikers on long deals. Didn''t Dave the Striker end up costing us nearly one million?

Perhaps he would have been more comitted to a longer term contract if we had been Championship.If he can score enough goals this season then good on him. If we go up I would imagine he would stay unless a prem club came in for him. Maybe there is more to the deal we do not know about? Either way if he bangs them in and gets us back to the Champs although it would be gutting to loose him I would take it. He is a gamble and could be well paid too - perhaps best for both parties.

At least we have him for a year rather than on loan.  Definite improvement on last season.

I don''t need to.  This is clearly demonstrated by giving Askou a 2 year deal.  The same risk applies in this instance.

[quote user="leedscanary"]Or maybe the board has learnt about signing foreign strikers on long deals. Didn''t Dave the Striker end up costing us nearly one million?[/quote]£300k actually, we had an option to pay an extra million and get him for 3 more years if he was any good, was a strange deal

I just hope that if he has banged in 20 by january, we don''t end up losing him for free abroad, i presume we''ll quickly be extending that contract if he does do well for a few months tho

[quote user="Earlsfield"]I don''t need to.  This is clearly demonstrated by giving Askou a 2 year deal.  The same risk applies in this instance.[/quote]not really. Askou is well known from his time in denmark (Steen Nedergaard app gave him a glowing ref) and is a centre back. - Danes are more suited to playing in English football also. A year on Maric makes sense for all concerned.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]A year is fine, it would be nice if he had the option for a further year though.[/quote]Meant we, not he.

Rubbish.  Fact is both Maric and Askou are both unknown quantities in English football.  To suggest danes are more suited to english football than serbs is the loosest generalisation of the highest order.  Fergie spent nearly £20mm on serbs last season.

Agree a one year option would be best for the club.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]A year is fine, it would be nice if he had the option for a further year though.
[/quote]

Thats what i thought, if we have that second year option we would then get a fee if he does bang in the goals and the big boys come calling.

Who cares!! If he scores a ''hatful'' hopefully we''ll have won the league and he can either sign a new contract to play championship football or go......who''s to say he''d make it in the championship anyway?

[quote user="Earlsfield"]

Rubbish.  Fact is both Maric and Askou are both unknown quantities in English football.  To suggest danes are more suited to english football than serbs is the loosest generalisation of the highest order.  Fergie spent nearly £20mm on serbs last season.

[/quote]Pretty sure I know what I am talking about when it comes to football but there you go. There are a lot more successful Danes/Scands'' in our league than there has been Serbs. Dare I say it but that is a fact. It comes down to the style of football they play over there. It is very similar to our own.  Steeno knows how the Canaries play, knows English football and knows Askou. Askou as a centre back is in a position where you can get away with having an okay game. Strikers are rated on their goals/assists. We will agree to disagree Earlsfield. .

If he was that good he wouldn''t have been playing for Barca B and Palace or someone higher up the league than us would have snapped him up. We''re not that desperate that we have to offer a long contract to an unknown to get him to sign - which is nice!

[quote user="Earlsfield"]Think my suggestion is more viable.[/quote]

I dont think so.

He might he horrible, why would we want that 2,3,4,5 yrs?

[quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="Earlsfield"]

[/quote]

Pretty sure I know what I am talking about when it comes to football but there you go.

There are a lot more successful Danes/Scands'' in our league than there has been Serbs. Dare I say it but that is a fact.

It comes down to the style of football they play over there. It is very similar to our own.  Steeno knows how the Canaries play, knows English football and knows Askou.

Askou as a centre back is in a position where you can get away with having an okay game. Strikers are rated on their goals/assists.

We will agree to disagree Earlsfield.

[/quote]HOW DARE YOU COME ON THE MESSAGE BOARD SPOUTTING ACTUAL FACTS!!!![;)]

[quote user="Earlsfield"]

[/quote]

Hmmm, this poster''s style seems familiar to me . . . . . . .[;)]

[quote user="chicken"]Perhaps he would have been more comitted to a longer term contract if we had been Championship.

If he can score enough goals this season then good on him. If we go up I would imagine he would stay unless a prem club came in for him. Maybe there is more to the deal we do not know about? Either way if he bangs them in and gets us back to the Champs although it would be gutting to loose him I would take it. He is a gamble and could be well paid too - perhaps best for both parties.
[/quote]

This is exactly how i''m reading it.

What planet are you on meerkat man?

He isnt contacted to any club. If thing mutually work out we can offer him a deal for next season,

A loan, they go back to their parent club.

1. Earth obviously, space travel beyond the moon is not possible yet.2. He is here for a year (going by the info of his contract).  OK no fee has been paid to a parent club, but freebies aren''t free, you still pay agents etc.  If he does do any good he could easily jump ship to join another club.  Also similar to a loan, is a foreign player able to settle with only a year''s contract.  Well I can see similarities  and I''m not from Uranus either.

[quote user="Shake n Vac the basd meerkat up"]Isn''t a one year deal practically the same as a year''s loan?
[/quote]

No, because he cannot be recalled by the loaning club!

Plus we have the right to sell him midseason if we got a silly offer. 

It also would not suprise me if we had some kind of "option" on the contract.

Meaning its 1 year but we might have the option of a further year at an improved figure if he does well.

I also wonder if the 1 year deal is about Maric seeing how well he adapts to the English game. I understand he doesn''t speak any English and this must be quite daunting coming into a new club in a new league. Perhaps he just wants a get out clause if things don''t work out?

If everything is OK on both sides, he signs on for a further 1-2 years... just an idea.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="Shake n Vac the basd meerkat up"]Isn''t a one year deal practically the same as a year''s loan?[/quote]

No, because he cannot be recalled by the loaning club!

Plus we have the right to sell him midseason if we got a silly offer. 

It also would not suprise me if we had some kind of "option" on the contract.

Meaning its 1 year but we might have the option of a further year at an improved figure if he does well.

[/quote]That''s a whole load of ifs...Plastic was here for two season loans and no recallWhat''s the chances really of selling on a player mid season in this situation?There could be an option, but we don''t know for certain.I didn''t make the original comment to be negative, it was looking at the whole thing without ifs and buts and thought there''s not much difference from a season''s loan.