Sign in to follow this  
GB1902

The Gary Holt Conspiracy

Before I start I just wanna say this isn''t a thread knocking Gary. I like him as much as any other Norwich City player, but I also understand that when a player plays badly he is usually dropped from the team. Which brings me to my point. When was the last time Gary Holt was dropped from a Norwich City side? He was woeful today along with many other players, however his performance more than anyones stood out for being bad. Even worse was the fact that Safri gets substitued at half time to bring Bentley on (who should have been on at the beginning) when in my opinion although he put a few passes astray was having a decent game. I just don''t understand what Holty has done to get in Worthy''s permanent good books. It seems like he can have the game from hell and still be one of the first names down on the team sheet for the next game.

Even more worrying is the diamond formation. It looked to all from the Spurs game when this was first employed that Worthy had used it to counter the way spurs played and try and get us something from the game. It worked! So surely when we move on to the next game we should employ different tactics to counter the team we played next. Apparently not according to Worthington. So why is Worthy playing this formation then? The Spurs game also coincided with Safri''s full debut for us. After having a decent period when he came on for the Arsenal game Worthy knew he couldnt drop him, but for some reason this need to have Gary Holt in the team has forced us into playing the diamond formation. Now it''s either drop Safri or play the diamond to accomodate Gary Holt. Why??? Why is there the need to accomodate him? This if continued is gonna cost us our place! We simply don''t have enough attacking width to get at opposistion teams. We may have the ''easier'' games coming up, but if we continue with the diamond we won''t win many of them either.

Come on Worthy! Make the brave decision and get Holt out of the team and revert back to 442 with Francis And Safri in the middle and 2 wingers. If they start playing badly and Holt does well in training and the reserve games then bring him back in. Don''t put him in the side because his name is Gary Holt! That is going to cost us big time!!!

I''ve said this all along about Holt, for nearly a year now, but usually just get barracked for saying it. But now I think people are finally beginning to notice that Holt is not upto the Premiership and not worthy to be the first name on the team sheet, he''s had his ''time to settle'' (much more so than the others who aren''t getting a go) Why Worthy persists with this I will never know, but the end result is we will go down - no question - if he does not dump his favoured players (i.e - just Gary Holt) and try out some others who are itching to get a game before it is too late. Sorry to be negative, and im not a moaner usually, but i will moan about Gary Holt''s ability to stay in the team somehow! Managers should not have favoutires anyway, players should be in the team on merit - and judging by some of Holt''s performances, he is not in the team on merit. Come on Worthy, do the sensible thing.

Fully agree with the 2 messages above.  Gary Holt has been fantastic for Norwich City, superb in the play-off season and superb in our promotion season.  However, Youssef Safri and Damien Francis are simply better central midfielders.  Holt is being found out in the Premiership as a player with limited ability.  While hard work will go a long way in Division 1, you need something more than that in the Prem.

I''m not sure why Worthington is reluctant to drop him, he obviously feel he adds to the team, and he is the manager so we have to respect those decisions.  That, or Holt has a photo of Worthington in a comprimising position that he doesn''t want anyone to know about!