Sign in to follow this  
LQ

Stupid omens and superstitions

Well I have to say, people, things are looking up. How do I know this? Here''s my omen for the coming season...In the summer of 2006 my brother bought me a piece of Highbury turf (as you all know my family are avid AFC fans and my introduction to football was in the East Stand there as a little kid with my Dad) when they sold it off before moving to the Emirates.That early part of the summer saw the grass grow, but not prosper exactly. It was ''ok''. After a harsh winter nearly all the grass had died off and I thought "what could be better than to replant it with proper Carrow Road seed?" So I asked the groundsman and popped a donation in to the Tactic Zone in return for a little paper bag full of hallowed glory!It sprouted in the Spring of 2007 but again just survived rather than flourished despite my tender care and lots of snipping and feeding. Things went from bad to worse over the next two seasons and in May I decided to pull out all the old stuff by the roots and start afresh.My miniature lawn (12" x 8") is now lush and green beyond recognition compared to the previous seasons of moss-filled sparsity. And that provides me with a good omen for the coming season on the pitch.So, there''s mine. Some of you must have omens you can look to or daft superstitions that you can''t let go of?[;)]

[quote user="LQ"]Well I have to say, people, things are looking up. How do I know this? Here''s my omen for the coming season...So, there''s mine. Some of you must have omens you can look to or daft superstitions that you can''t let go of?[;)][/quote]None. I don''t believe in b*llocks like that. [:P]

I believe that listening to a live commentary on the radio of a Norwich game is bad luck. I foolishly broke my superstition last season and listened to Donny Rovers away game. Not only did I walk about 5 miles pacing up and down in the kitchen during the second half, I somehow walked into the clothes horse and fell over in a embarrassing heap and had to be disentangled by the wife, ( thats the nearest I ever came to doing any ironing ). Err.......we were also relegated of course. NEVER AGAIN !!! [:$]

My granddad had a superstition,  every home match at the ''Rud'' he''d say a little prayer to himself,  one week he missed his train took the next which made him miss the kick off, therefore he didn''t say his little prayer.  Did you know, over the next 50 years all his teeth fell out.

Signing not one, but two strikers before the season has even begun could be considered an omen, but its been so long since it happened that its hard to say which way it will go... the last time it happened the striker was Peter Thorne, I believe? Ho hum...Similar to CP, I found last season that if I went anywhere near SSN on match-day, I would tune in just at the moment the club went behind... if I ignored the game altogether I would inevitable log onto Pinkun or BBC to find out we''d won!  In previous years though, I had a pretty good spell of Norwich never losing in any game I saw at Carrow Road - it was something like 15 games over 2 seasons or so! Hopefully, with me being able to see more games this season (Stockport Away, woop woop), the latter ''omen'' will return...Oh, and I''ve also just gotten Norwich promoted to the Prem on FM08... [:)]

A few years ago City were on a really poor run, four of us decided to go in The Murderers for a meal and a pint before the match, [B][:D]

I had one of their omelettes which must have been made with about ten eggs. I waddled down to the match afterwards fully stuffed and of course they won for the first time in weeks ! [I]So obviously I decided to do the same before every match until they lost, they went on a ten match unbeaten run ! Eggsasperating ![:@]

Never have been able to look an omelette in the eye since ![:$]

This sounds highly stupid, but last season i covered in goal for my Sunday league team on a number of occasions. When i did cover in goal, i wrapped a piece of blue tape around the middle finger on each glove. Why, i do not know. But, those games were a 3-2 win, a 5-4 loss and a 5-2 loss. May sound a bit hefty but my they were cracking games!

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]I believe that listening to a live commentary on the radio of a Norwich game is bad luck. I foolishly broke my superstition last season and listened to Donny Rovers away game. Not only did I walk about 5 miles pacing up and down in the kitchen during the second half, I somehow walked into the clothes horse and fell over in a embarrassing heap and had to be disentangled by the wife, ( thats the nearest I ever came to doing any ironing ). Err.......we were also relegated of course. NEVER AGAIN !!! [:$][/quote]I rather enjoy an away game on a Saturday.  Watch Saturday kitchen, potter about, make some soup (great when it''s freezing cold outside), then turn on the radio for around 2ish for the start.  Usually open a can of decent beer for the second half, listen to Canary Call after the game (another beverage is a prerequisite at this point) then off to the pub to talk about the game around 6:30ish.  Bliss!

I always have to park at Jubilee Park if I drive, then walk to the pub on the same route, then walk from the pub to the ground on the same route, then enter the same turnstile each game.

Stupid i know

I think I''ve run out of lucky things to wear/combinations, so just go with it now! I did sometimes go for one yellow and one green sock, but that only started last season, so think I might just go back to wearing black socks come next Saturday!

[quote user="Matt Juler"]

I think I''ve run out of lucky things to wear/combinations, so just go with it now! I did sometimes go for one yellow and one green sock, but that only started last season, so think I might just go back to wearing black socks come next Saturday!

[/quote]A black armband would have been more appropriate last season, Matt!

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]I believe that listening to a live commentary on the radio of a Norwich game is bad luck.[/quote]

Same here, which proved rather unavoidable for last season when I had to work....

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]I believe that listening to a live commentary on the radio of a Norwich game is bad luck.[/quote]

Same here, which proved rather unavoidable for last season when I had to work....

[/quote]See!!!It was all your fault![:P]

[quote user="LQ"][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[/quote]

See!!!

It was all your fault!

[:P]

[/quote]

I take full responsibility, I can handle the criticism (which comes from moderating this forum from Day One)

A mate always had to wear the womens next doors undies at each home game.

So friday nights he would nip over the fence and "borrow" a pair.

Well that''s what I he told the judge anyway!![:D]

Usually i have my hair really short. This summer for some reason i was either too busy or too lazy to get it cut. The same thing happened with a work colleague and it became a bit of a competition to see who would last the longest. My mate had his cut after the Fakenham game. He then asked me when i was going to get mine cut ... i said, " Not until Norwich lose." Now i have an unruly mop ... could be a hippie by October [;)].

[quote user="Matt Juler"]

[/quote]I used to wear one yellow and one green sock on match days - until Grant''s boys dumped a match horribly at the Valley a couple of years ago (I even think that Dion took the bait and got sent off in that one). Sitting at the front I put my feet up on the rail. As I watched a really dull Charlton side take the michael out of us, framed beautifully by my socks I vowed to pair them back up and never try that combo again. If I remember rightly I was cushioned by a toxic green punky towelling pair during our Championship wining season so maybe I''ll invest in another pair of those before Colchester...

The night before a game I cover myself in lard and run naked through the village at two am.  Every single week....

[quote user="ACE"]The night before a game I cover myself in lard and run naked through the village at two am.  Every single week....
[/quote]

Always thought you seemed a slippery customer.

Has the lard been used for frying chips or is that a new man type deoderent?

Whenever i''ve worn my shirt to a game we havent lost... shame really that i turned up in normal clothes most of last season lol.