Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Can a league one club sustain a 30 man squad?

, because I can''t recall a side at this level having so many senior first team squad players, which must be cumulatively on a pretty large wage for this division.(not a problem I thought I''d be discussing a week and a half and seven signings ago!)

If it doesn''t happen in the next week or so, after the first few games when it becomes apparant to everyone who is ''first choice'' and who isn''t I would expect a few to make way, Pattison,Cureton,Stefanovic - others?     

Who goes? - you decide!

LMAO thats one thing i love about this board.True to the analogy that football fans are so fickle.Not meant as a dig or insult, just an observation.6 months ago people were complaining about the LACK of first team players.Now we have to many ??

I can understand this view, as we all know that you lose income when you get relegated etc..

However, I think that some of our new players will be on fairly low wages, as some are trialists, so cant really demand top wage packets! Unless of course, the new board members have done a great job at reallocating our resources!!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

, because I can''t recall a side at this level having so many senior first team squad players, which must be cumulatively on a pretty large wage for this division.(not a problem I thought I''d be discussing a week and a half and seven signings ago!)

If it doesn''t happen in the next week or so, after the first few games when it becomes apparant to everyone who is ''first choice'' and who isn''t I would expect a few to make way, Pattison,Cureton,Stefanovic - others?     

Who goes? - you decide!

[/quote]

Its going to be a long season. We need 18 fit players on matchday alone with 7 subs.

I actually expect us to play 55+ games this year with 3 cup competitions...........

I do expect us to loan out a few players if we don''t have any major injuries.........

Its fair to assume that Pattison,Cureton and Stefanovic are 3 of the higher wage earners at the club so it would make sense to loan them if they are not playing.

Same goes with Russell if we don''t sell him.

The beauty of being the loaning club rather than the loanee club is that we can recall them if we need them.

Nelson will be high end average of this division and I would expect Gill to be reletively cheap wage wise too. Throw in Tudur-Jones as well as he will have been on average wage at this level. Holt possibly as well.Whaley may have accepted less wages in return for more games, Wiggins still being young would probably be the same. Theo may be on slightly more but maybe not considering.Hughes is rumoured to be on quite a bit but I think a lot less than that rediculous amount thrown around by silly newspapers.I would expect that the players have been given ''competetive'' contracts in other ways - more weighted towards bonuses such as wins, appearence and promotion.As I have mentioned before a lot of money was spent on wages for loan players last season - think Lita and Sibierski, they would have cost a lot for the reletively short time they were with us. And also the loss of Fotheringham who was one of our top earners.

At least it means are teams in the reserve league will contain seasoned pro''s and the games and tactics will be relevant the the first squad.  A return to being a proper football club I feel.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]LMAO thats one thing i love about this board.
True to the analogy that football fans are so fickle.
Not meant as a dig or insult, just an observation.

6 months ago people were complaining about the LACK of first team players.
Now we have to many ??

[/quote]

Don''t get me wrong, I''m certainly not complaining that we have a large squad!, I just wonder how many senior players would hang around if they aren''t involved?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Who goes? - you decide!

[/quote]Ah man, I''m pretty sure that the top brass at Carrow Road would in no way employ a bunch of people that they couldn''t afford for this up and coming season. I realise that they''ve made mistakes, hence the reason we''re in the situation that we are now. However, rebate money, Marshall, Clingan and (possibly) Russell money will go a long way to help pay wages. Plus, if we do well, we have a big supporter base that they can capitalise on. More people coming to games, more shirts etc sold.....You get my drift! I''m sure our new board will not let us go into financial meltdown. We are a massive club comparitively in League One.

The board can''t win.  Too small squad and people complain, too big people complain.  What do you suggest is the right number for a league 1 squad?  Surely it should depend on wages and not just numbers.

Another way of looking at it is, there are a total of 32 players including:

15 MF Michael Spillane
16 FW Chris Martin
17 MF Tom Adeyemi
18 MF Damon Lathrope
21 FW Kris Renton
23 DF Dario Dumic
25 FW Luke Daley
26 DF David Stephens
28 DF Sam Habergham
29 DF Danny Kelly
30 MF Korey Smith

Most of those 11 are promoted youth or young fringe players.  I doubt we can rely on any of them.  I guess most of them are on quite modest wages, the only one I think may be on a decent wage would be Martin.  So this would leave 21 first team players with the above trying to break through to the team. 

If you think the 32 is too many, would you suggest - cut back on the 21 first team squad and rely on the players above, or get rid of some of the youth?

New Chief Exec interviewed on Radio Norfolk this am, says aim was to have 24 senior pros available , not including youth players.

all youve got to remember is last season we were paying fotheringham (has he found himself new employees)£8000 a week the french sicknote sibeski £12.500 and leroy im to good to be here 15.000 soon frees up monies for those who want to die for the cause plus the fact that hucks will be back in nov and will probably play for next to nought

dunno really, depends on thier age and stage + how highly they rate themselves.I personally would love to see Curo, Rusty and Doc leave the club.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]LMAO thats one thing i love about this board.True to the analogy that football fans are so fickle.Not meant as a dig or insult, just an observation.6 months ago people were complaining about the LACK of first team players.Now we have to many ??

[/quote]people on this board are never happy! the squad size is fine. as someone mentioned there are a lot of first year pro''s in te team and then the likes off damon lathrope, kris renton and a couple of others who are quite frankly probably happy to be here and happy to fight to get a chance and to learn from the more senior pros.Russell will go and the likes off Patty and Curo prob won''t be too far behind.

[quote user="dhickl"]

The board can''t win.  Too small squad and people complain, too big people complain.  What do you suggest is the right number for a league 1 squad?  Surely it should depend on wages and not just numbers.

Another way of looking at it is, there are a total of 32 players including:

15 MF Michael Spillane
16 FW Chris Martin
17 MF Tom Adeyemi
18 MF Damon Lathrope
21 FW Kris Renton
23 DF Dario Dumic
25 FW Luke Daley
26 DF David Stephens
28 DF Sam Habergham
29 DF Danny Kelly
30 MF Korey Smith

Most of those 11 are promoted youth or young fringe players.  I doubt we can rely on any of them.  I guess most of them are on quite modest wages, the only one I think may be on a decent wage would be Martin.  So this would leave 21 first team players with the above trying to break through to the team. 

If you think the 32 is too many, would you suggest - cut back on the 21 first team squad and rely on the players above, or get rid of some of the youth?

[/quote]

Adeyemi will be very gud :P

[quote user="Jim Kent"]At the end of the day I would rather have a squad too big than too small.[/quote]

It is much easier to build a good team spirit with a smaller squad because they are involved all the time.

You can build continuity by putting out roughly the same side every week.

The trouble with big squads is that you have a lot of unhappy players because they are not playing.

Nigel Clough of Derby is looking to cut his first team squad down to about 20 pros.

I checked out the size of other squads from Wiki the other day - and we easily have the largest squad!

Having said that - many are youth and lack experience, but still see them being used.

Personally think we don''t need anymore players, maybe if we sold one or two and got another pacey mid/striker

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

[quote user="Jim Kent"]At the end of the day I would rather have a squad too big than too small.[/quote]

It is much easier to build a good team spirit with a smaller squad because they are involved all the time.

You can build continuity by putting out roughly the same side every week.

The trouble with big squads is that you have a lot of unhappy players because they are not playing.

Nigel Clough of Derby is looking to cut his first team squad down to about 20 pros.

[/quote]Our first team squad is effectively 21.  The rest are the youth that are breaking through. 

On their website there are 28 players listed.  I''m sure that they would be looking at about 20 ''first team'' players plus the youth.

Leeds United''s squad is 27 + 5 ''reserves''.  This is exactly the same size and Norwich''s squad.

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

I checked out the size of other squads from Wiki the other day - and we easily have the largest squad!

Having said that - many are youth and lack experience, but still see them being used.

Personally think we don''t need anymore players, maybe if we sold one or two and got another pacey mid/striker

[/quote]

Do we really need 12 midfielders?

MF Matthew Gill
MF Owain Tudur Jones 
MF Wes Hoolahan 
MF Michael Spillane
MF Simon Whaley
MF Simon Lappin
MF Darel Russell
MF Matty Pattison
MF Stephen Hughes
MF Paul McVeigh
MF Korey Smith
MF Tom Adeyemi

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Colchester Canary"]

[/quote]

MF Matthew Gill
MF Owain Tudur Jones 
MF Wes Hoolahan 
MF Michael Spillane
MF Simon Whaley
MF Simon Lappin
MF Darel Russell
MF Matty Pattison
MF Stephen Hughes
MF Paul McVeigh
MF Korey Smith
MF Tom Adeyemi

[/quote]

LM: Hoolahan, Lappin
RM: Whaley, McVeigh
CM: Hughes, Gill, Tudor-Jones, Pattison

With Adeyemi and Smith as back-up.

Russel likely to leave, and wouldn''t be amazed if Pattison did either. Spillane coutns primarily as a defender, so we''ve only got 8 seniors + 2 youth players in truth.

The midfield''s our strength atm!

or

can a championship team afford to go into a league one campaign without an adequate squad with cover for all positions without becoming a league one regular?

[quote user="CanaryJames"]

MF Matthew Gill
MF Owain Tudur Jones 
MF Wes Hoolahan 
MF Michael Spillane
MF Simon Whaley
MF Simon Lappin
MF Darel Russell
MF Matty Pattison
MF Stephen Hughes
MF Paul McVeigh
MF Korey Smith
MF Tom Adeyemi

[/quote]

Yes is the answer.  Adeyemi looks an exciting prospect who will add some viguour to the side at various times in the season (but only in flashes) while I doubt we will see much of pattision or Russell.   We will not see spillane in midfield - he was tried at this club in that position and failed,  its something he can do but not well,  he could be a v good defender for us though.

That then leaves us with a good core set of professionals knowing that they have to perform to play - and gives the managers a choice if things do not work out with one of the signings.

No more plodding performances from the likes of russell, fozzy or clingan because can assume the squad is thin - and that is a good thing. 

Our total squad is quite big, but our senior pro''s is not that large a total.  We have two players for every position and a decent reserve squad to develop.Who the hell can find anything to moan about in that?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="CanaryJames"]

MF Matthew Gill
MF Owain Tudur Jones 
MF Wes Hoolahan 
MF Michael Spillane
MF Simon Whaley
MF Simon Lappin
MF Darel Russell
MF Matty Pattison
MF Stephen Hughes
MF Paul McVeigh
MF Korey Smith
MF Tom Adeyemi

[/quote]

Yes is the answer.  Adeyemi looks an exciting prospect who will add some viguour to the side at various times in the season (but only in flashes) while I doubt we will see much of pattision or Russell.   We will not see spillane in midfield - he was tried at this club in that position and failed,  its something he can do but not well,  he could be a v good defender for us though.

That then leaves us with a good core set of professionals knowing that they have to perform to play - and gives the managers a choice if things do not work out with one of the signings.

No more plodding performances from the likes of russell, fozzy or clingan because can assume the squad is thin - and that is a good thing. 

[/quote]

I''m loving this post Zip. Midfield has been our biggest no show for a long time. Let''s hope the new players, and the competition for places, gives us a more positive midfield brave enough to go forwards instead of putting the defence under ridiculous pressure and hiding from the resulting flak.

There''s a few that are youth players just promoted that i wouldn''t expect to feature too much, only as cover for injuries.

Only youth players i''d expect near the first team are Adeyemi, Smith & Spillane. Then Rudd when Alnwick''s loan deal is up.