Sign in to follow this  
Tom the canary

Briggs released

Now that Keith Briggs has been released that makes 8 players out and 8 in.  So we still have a relatively small squad.

Out Crichton, Briggs, MacKay, Rivers, Sinclair, Easton, Rivers, Roberts & Abbey

In Ward, Gallagher, Helveg, Charlton, Saffri, Bentley, Jonson & Docherty

A bit of an improvement there methinks - not one of the "Outs" would make an impression on the Premiership.

OTBC

....there is one "out" missing that I would have included - Cooper, he played a decent part in the end of season run (I was disappointed we didn''t try harder to keep him to be honest, but suppose we have Jonson/Bentley instead); also two of the ''Ins'' are keepers (and only one ''out'')...this means the current outfield squad''s actually 2 players smaller than at the end of last season, a little scary if we get any injuries!!!   

I have to agree that I don''t think we will really miss the ''outs'' much this season - they would probably have not really be up to the Premier, but two in particular might have been able to do a job: Iwan - who would have done no worse than Sven (and Doc?) for a season/until Jan, and Malky - who might have been decent back-up when playing an aerial side (and would have given us an option currently lacking at corners!).  It is a bit of a shame they didn''t get a chance but then that''s football. 

It is worrying in that we have little backup in defence. If say, Fleming and Edworthy are out injured then it would leave us with Helveg at RB and ANother at CB. Shackell is the only possibity, and given that he hasn''t featured at all, we have to prey to stay injury free

And rivers has gone.

We are gonna need some more new faces in january, bit shocking that all the transfer budget has gone.  Worthys buys came to bout 3 mil or so. 

Ah well, time to dig deep again...

otbc

What with released players (Zema/Briggs) and Malky leaving we must be saving a fair bit of cash on salaries for the 3-4 months to Jan: 3 players less is the equivalent of one player for a season (c£250k+?), and this with the £300k fee for Malky gives us £500k+ extra in the kitty which will prove rather beneficial in Jan. 

I''ve actually wondered about this: £500k is equal to the difference between our "reported" £1.5m bid for and the £2m that West Ham wanted for Harewood  just before the transfer window closed.  I''m not meaning to start gossip/rumour but that does seem coincidental!!

[quote]What with released players (Zema/Briggs) and Malky leaving we must be saving a fair bit of cash on salaries for the 3-4 months to Jan: 3 players less is the equivalent of one player for a season (c£25...[/quote]

+£25K we got from cup match, (Mr.Doncaster says), + £50K(approx,pro rata) from next cup match and if we get through the following round that should have a total of £100K to add to the kitty. 

But of course all this financial head scratching will be academical if the much vaunted Greeno sale brings us £millions ! ! ! ! ! 

What surprises me is the timing of this release.  We knew that we had bought Helveg as a right back and had eddie who was in Briggs position all last season - why spend 3 months wages when he could have been offloaded earlier?

I have to agree though that all of the players allowed to leave were definitely surplus to requirements - none (Malky excepted) had any real impact last season and those remaining players all out performing the released players.

As I said on the "is any one satisfied" post the squad is certainly far stronger than the team that won the title last season and once the jockeying for formation is finished I am sure we wll do well again this season.

OTBC

[quote]Now that Keith Briggs has been released that makes 8 players out and 8 in. So we still have a relatively small squad. Out Crichton, Briggs, MacKay, Rivers, Sinclair, Easton, Rivers, Roberts & Ab...[/quote]

We should not released Iwan....

since we are lack of strikers....

Enough Iwan already!Iwans last two performances have merited a 4 and a 5 in the lowly div 1, in a side that if he had prem ability he would shine in. Please let go and remember him for the legend he was, not the player he has become.OTBC