Sign in to follow this  
scrimmage

A Quote from Harry Redknapp (On topic)

"You cannot have two many good players. Competition for places is what

it is all about. Look at Manchester United, you could pick two teams

from their squad last year."This is from the BBC article about Darren Bent''s twitter. We have seen a number of threads which seem to suggest we could have two different teams and it would be difficult to tell which would be the first team. I think Gunny has done a great job this transfer season and he can''t have spent much over £1.5m, and surely if we''d had to pay for the frees we would have had to pay £5m plus. We are now in the same position as Manchester United, how good does that sound? Not many teams in League 1 will have the strength in depth we have this season. Let''s see:GK: Theoklitos / Alnwick / RuddRB: Spillane / OtsemoborCB: Doherty / Nelson / Askou / Stefanovic / Dumic / StephensLB: Drury / Wiggins / HaberghamRM: Whaley / SmithCM: Gill / Tudur Jones / Adeyemi / Hughes / Pattison / [Lathrope] / (Russell)LM: Hoolahan / LappinST: Holt / Maric / McDonald / Martin / Cureton / Daley / [Kelly / Renton](Likely to leave)[Unlikely to feature this season]So, our least equipped position to me seems to be RM, where we only really have Korey Smith as back up to Whaley. Players such as Pattison can play here as can Stephen Hughes, although I would like to see Smith get some first team action this season. As long as Whaley keeps fit I''m very happy with the squad, in my opinion we are now ready for the new season and I''m especially happy with our strikers, Gunn has done an especially good job in this department. The introduction of a number of academy players to the first team has, of course, boosted the squad numbers, but are these players ready to make the jump. Well, we have seen Dumic play centre back in Scotland very competently. He''s massive and built like a brick house. Adeyemi had a fantastic match against Manchester United and rumours are flying round that both Man U and Arsenal are tracking him, but I would like to think at 17 he would stay here in Norwich and play for us this season. Overall, I think the depth of our squad will prepare us for the eventualities of League 1, both from the physical aspects and cover for knocks and injuries but also suspensions. We can have two, maybe three separate teams from all of these players, considering around 14 players returned to their parent clubs at the end of last season and we now have just 1 loan, a keeper, I don''t think another manager could have done a better job this close season. Roll on August 8th. OTBC!

whoops. Obviously McVeigh is a winger and can cover for Whaley, but maybe only as an impact sub, I don''t think he will be the same class act he used to be.

I think McVeigh is going to surprise a few people this season.  Gunn has offered him the chance to resurrect his career and he will know that this is the last chance saloon.  Think he will be pulling out all the stops to make sure he plays at this level or higher for another few years.

I can see two good teams out of the first and second choices at each position (not always easy to choose). I have McVeigh as back up to Whaley and Smith after that. I have even managed a good reserve team almost totally out of young contracted players (thus a third team out of the present squad). Obviously senior players will need to play in the reserves for fitness etc., but this is the deepest squad I can remember in the last 40 or so years.

Gunn, the 2 Ians, Deehan and McNally have done a great job to make this happen, and let''s just hope they can now make it happen on the pitch!

[quote user="scrimmage"]"You cannot have two many good players. Competition for places is what

it is all about. Look at Manchester United, you could pick two teams

from their squad last year."This is from the BBC article about Darren Bent''s twitter. We have seen a number of threads which seem to suggest we could have two different teams and it would be difficult to tell which would be the first team. I think Gunny has done a great job this transfer season and he can''t have spent much over £1.5m, and surely if we''d had to pay for the frees we would have had to pay £5m plus. We are now in the same position as Manchester United, how good does that sound? Not many teams in League 1 will have the strength in depth we have this season. Let''s see:GK: Theoklitos / Alnwick / RuddRB: Spillane / OtsemoborCB: Doherty / Nelson / Askou / Stefanovic / Dumic / StephensLB: Drury / Wiggins / HaberghamRM: Whaley / SmithCM: Gill / Tudur Jones / Adeyemi / Hughes / Pattison / [Lathrope] / (Russell)LM: Hoolahan / LappinST: Holt / Maric / McDonald / Martin / Cureton / Daley / [Kelly / Renton](Likely to leave)[Unlikely to feature this season]So, our least equipped position to me seems to be RM, where we only really have Korey Smith as back up to Whaley. Players such as Pattison can play here as can Stephen Hughes, although I would like to see Smith get some first team action this season. As long as Whaley keeps fit I''m very happy with the squad, in my opinion we are now ready for the new season and I''m especially happy with our strikers, Gunn has done an especially good job in this department. The introduction of a number of academy players to the first team has, of course, boosted the squad numbers, but are these players ready to make the jump. Well, we have seen Dumic play centre back in Scotland very competently. He''s massive and built like a brick house. Adeyemi had a fantastic match against Manchester United and rumours are flying round that both Man U and Arsenal are tracking him, but I would like to think at 17 he would stay here in Norwich and play for us this season. Overall, I think the depth of our squad will prepare us for the eventualities of League 1, both from the physical aspects and cover for knocks and injuries but also suspensions. We can have two, maybe three separate teams from all of these players, considering around 14 players returned to their parent clubs at the end of last season and we now have just 1 loan, a keeper, I don''t think another manager could have done a better job this close season. Roll on August 8th. OTBC![/quote]scrimmage, just like me you''ve forgotten McVeigh on the right! I totally agree with what you''re saying here. Competition for places is a good thing. We have players on contracts who know they can play at a higher level so will (hopefully) pull their finger out and do all they can to get City back in the Championship... Honestly the first time in a long time i have looked at a norwich squad and felt quite pleased with who we have. Re Right mid, Daley can play there as can Pattison and i think you will also see Otsemobor playing there with spillane at right back from time to time if needs be. I also think Gunn has money set aside for Jan which is smart thinking. Furthermore, I honestly think Fergie will do us and Gunny a favour this season and loan us a player or two. Ferguson has said many a time he likes Norwich as a club, the way they like to play... and on top of that he and Bryan are pals... Honestly think we are set to have a decent season. Not saying we''ll get promotion first time round as i am under no illusion that L1 is a walkover, but i feel we have a decent chance to do something this season.Another point (sorry) but how exciting is it to finally have some decent youngsters coming through!? It''s the Norwich way and about time too!

he might not have a high fitness level at the moment but he has still got ability, think he can still produce the goods

Danny Simpson or Danny Welbeck, think either might be asking a bit much!

Expect if we get anyone from Man U it will be from the youth team.

sorry... ONE more point i would like to add... Gunn has done a top job putting this squad together. This squad is good enough to get promotion. If Gunn isn''t the right man to get us up and goes, I hope fans at least give him credit for being the first manager in a long time to address a lot of weaknesses in our team.Gunny''s done the ground work and built us the foundation of a strong team which I think will grow and go from strength to strength. Whatever happens this season I hope people remember this. *I am such a member of the Gunn club aren''t I?!?*

RB is our only weak link, spillane can do a job but it isn''t his strongest position, need someone in definitely

[quote user="rjwc22"]

[/quote]

Simpson could be done, he''s not going to get near United''s first team with Neville, Rafael Da Silva, O''Shea and Wes Brown all able to play at RB.

Not sure how much he will want to drop down to League 1 though, am sure some Champ clubs would take him on loan.

I agree with you Chirp that the old boys have done a great job restoring a bit of pride in the NCFC squad.  However they still need to be tested in league matches so I am reserving judgement until the end of August.

[quote user="Lambo"][quote user="rjwc22"]

[/quote] Simpson could be done, he''s not going to get near United''s first team with Neville, Rafael Da Silva, O''Shea and Wes Brown all able to play at RB.[/quote]

If simpson comes availible for loan, i can''t see him being in league one. teams like burnley n wolves are more likely to look at him if not everyone in the championship would be cueing up for him.

Depends mate, i don''t think he set the championship alight when Ipswich had him, you never know your luck.

Plus as mentioned Gunn is friendly with Fergie, who knows, if we can''t get Simpson i''d take Cleverly also.

Just to get the topic back on thread ( as this has somehow developed into a different subject entirely, AGAIN!)

The squad is too thin, nowhere near good enough, we''re going down, Gunn is crap, sack the board.........

Ooooops, changed sides there for a sec.  Must''ve been all the pessimistic garbage I''ve been reading all summer (no need to role call the usual suspects).

I have to agree whole heartedly with you there Scrimmage, bloody good post!  I too think Gunny has done a very good job with meagre resources.  Obviously wearing his "scout" hat has stood him in good stead as I think he has unearthed some talent even to the extent of convincing players to step down a league to join us.  Together with a couple of foreigners and some excellent youth/academy prospects he has assembled a very solid looking squad with more depth than you''ll see just about anywhere else in league 1.  Lest we forget 2 of our biggest problems last season were (as moaned about just about everywhere) the lack of contracted players putting their hearts into the shirt and the large amount of injuries to key players with no decent back up.  As has been rightly pointed out Gunny seems to have addressed both issues well in time for the season to start.

With all this solid ground work in place there remains just one thing left to see.  Can they gel and play as a team?  A true Norwich City team.

Can I interest anyone in a dose of optimism???

I also agree, having a big squad is essential at all levels but sets you above the rest in the lower leagues

[quote user="The Chirp"]sorry... ONE more point i would like to add... Gunn has done a top job putting this squad together. This squad is good enough to get promotion. If Gunn isn''t the right man to get us up and goes, I hope fans at least give him credit for being the first manager in a long time to address a lot of weaknesses in our team.Gunny''s done the ground work and built us the foundation of a strong team which I think will grow and go from strength to strength. Whatever happens this season I hope people remember this. *I am such a member of the Gunn club aren''t I?!?*[/quote]

It''s not about Gunn As a man its Gunn as a manager,he proved he was tactically nieive last season. I do hope he gets it right,to say at this  stage he has put  a promotion squad together is rubbish!!We dont know what these players can do.....strange saying he has a promotion squad? But i hope you do turnout to be right, and i feel  he has moved in the right direction!but im holding my breath................We have been he before!

We''ve seen in pre season that we have a team capable of outplaying and beating a side which finished mid table last season. This basically means we''ve assembled a squad with greater quality than last season, but I''m not sure about that. I get the impression we''re winning as our confidence is high. Confidence is the key here, keep winning and you will keep winning. Lose and the confidence goes.