Sign in to follow this  
Theythinkitsallover

Bobby Robson/Bryan Gunn

After the very sad news yesterday and all the tributes to our great manager and ambassador of ITFC it got me thinking about the way football is today and how the greed and selfishness in football has ruined this once great game. When the tributes came in and people were talking about how Sir Bobby was prepared to raise millions for cancer even though he was seriously ill it made me also think of Bryan Gunn. Here is a man who has also faced great adversity in his life. To lose a child is unimaginable but to come out the other side and decide to do something to help others shows the measure of the man. I have never heard Sir Bobby moan,likewise Gunn. I have never heard Sir Bobby publically chastise people in the football profession, likewise Gunn. Yet here we have 2 men who could have quite easily,and rightly so, felt sorry for themselves but chose to stand up and be counted and start a charity purely to help others. We may not get on on the football pitch but one thing we can both be proud of is that in the greedy,corrupt world that is football today we have 2 men in East Anglian football we should be very very proud of.

Well I don''t know if football is the greedy, corrupt world that you claim (and I would much rather nations settled their differences on a football pitch rather than with guns and bombs) but for sure I am proud to have known someone who has shaken the hands of both Bryan Gunn and Bobby Robson.

Right on all counts. We had a few greedy, selfish players last year. If Gunn becomes half the manager Robson was, there should be good times ahead.

[quote user="Theythinkitsallover"]After the very sad news yesterday and all the tributes to our great manager and ambassador of ITFC it got me thinking about the way football is today and how the greed and selfishness in football has ruined this once great game. When the tributes came in and people were talking about how Sir Bobby was prepared to raise millions for cancer even though he was seriously ill it made me also think of Bryan Gunn. Here is a man who has also faced great adversity in his life. To lose a child is unimaginable but to come out the other side and decide to do something to help others shows the measure of the man. I have never heard Sir Bobby moan,likewise Gunn. I have never heard Sir Bobby publically chastise people in the football profession, likewise Gunn. Yet here we have 2 men who could have quite easily,and rightly so, felt sorry for themselves but chose to stand up and be counted and start a charity purely to help others. We may not get on on the football pitch but one thing we can both be proud of is that in the greedy,corrupt world that is football today we have 2 men in East Anglian football we should be very very proud of.[/quote]Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time on what was rightly an Ipswich centric day to post this. I''m sure Gunny would be flattered - even mortified at the comparison. He''d be the first to acknowledge that he has a long long way to go before he can lay claim to even half that type of legacy.That said - as regards personality you may be right. So many thanks on behalf of our gaffer for that. I hope that you felt compelled to pen this here as a result of our obvious respect for Uncle Bobby as posted in his thread on this very message board. If you haven''t seen it then take a peek.All the best for this season - don''t go getting promoted, we''ll be back in your face next year.

[quote user="Theythinkitsallover"]After the very sad news yesterday and all the tributes to our great manager and ambassador of ITFC it got me thinking about the way football is today and how the greed and selfishness in football has ruined this once great game. When the tributes came in and people were talking about how Sir Bobby was prepared to raise millions for cancer even though he was seriously ill it made me also think of Bryan Gunn. Here is a man who has also faced great adversity in his life. To lose a child is unimaginable but to come out the other side and decide to do something to help others shows the measure of the man. I have never heard Sir Bobby moan,likewise Gunn. I have never heard Sir Bobby publically chastise people in the football profession, likewise Gunn. Yet here we have 2 men who could have quite easily,and rightly so, felt sorry for themselves but chose to stand up and be counted and start a charity purely to help others. We may not get on on the football pitch but one thing we can both be proud of is that in the greedy,corrupt world that is football today we have 2 men in East Anglian football we should be very very proud of.[/quote]

gunn only moans at the ref!!