Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Predictions - who will be hit and miss signings...

Havent been to any friendlys so thoughts please. My miss would be Hughes from what i hear from scottish sources, and my hit will be good old Grant Holt. Over to you pinkuners...............

Its little to go by but I was impressed by what Askou was saying in the interview. Maric looks good too. Not convinced about Gill and know very little about Wiggins.

Holt looks a solid choice, as does Whaley.

I just hope it isn''t like the previous four seasons where everything was built up and turned out to be pish.I was very optimistic in those previous pre-seasons, but somehow, this does feel different. Or maybe I''m just deluding myself.Only time will tell...

I don''t think Whaley can fail to be a hit at this level, he''s too good for league one IMO and still can''t believe we persudaed him to drop a division.

Misses? Unfortunately I can see any Doherty-Nelson partnership being cruely exposed for pace , and therefore Nelson may just be the fall guy to allow Askou or Stefanovic in when he''s fit.

As for Maric , could be a Iwan Roberts or could as easily be a David Strihavka!

Have to agree with the Gill prediction I''m afraid. Obviously would love him to do well being a local lad and all but strikes me as another Cureton... trying TOO hard (if there''s such a thing).OTJ would be my guess for hit. The man is a mountain and looks like he can control the midfield and allow Hughes to do the fancy stuff, i.e. pick a 40 yard pass or that killer through ball.

Miss -  Grant Holt, i can''t see him getting the 20 + goals we need from one of our strikers :(

Hit - Tom Adeyemi,  I can see him as being one of our players of the season  BUT ... i can also see a top flight team snap him  up at the end of the season :(

The thing we have to realize is that when you sign 12 players not all of them are going to do well.

The manager/board does its best but some will do well and some won''t.......Thats a fact of football life.

The beauty is we have a large squad....... so poor form from one player can be another players gain with a spot in the team.

Of the players who will be hit and miss..........

I think McVeigh won''t play that much but I think he will do much better than expected.

I think Martin and Spillane will do well..........It''s easy to forget how young they still are.

I think the biggest question mark maybe against Maric.......... it''s hard to judge somone on a few games, hoping I am proved totally wrong and he scores for fun.

Going against the grain I think Gill will be the surprise hit. Biggest questions surround Maric but he seems to have handled well in pre season.

Paul McVeigh, I honestly think within 15 games he''ll be starting XI. Anyone remember when Cureton was a league 1 goal scoring machine? eh.. EH? - Lightning never strikes twice.. does it..?

I think Whaley, Holt and Askou will prove to be astute pieces of business for the club.

The rest, for me, will need a few league games for me to make a real opinion on, but the signs thus far show promise.

[quote user="Thai Canary"]
All 12 players Hits, No miss!!!!
[/quote]

Jeez,now that is optimism[:)]Like USAjr I am going with Adeyemi to be the big surprise,but i am worried about Cody.Hopefully i am wrong!

Also Im a bit worried about the ex Palace lad Rhys Wiggins and Matty Gill being a miss along with Hughes {just dont trust scottish football standards}, but hits hopefully will be, Holt, McVeigh, Maric, Askou, Tudar Jones, Whalley, Adeyemi, and Theo if Alnwick doesnt stay, but think Alnwick could do well in this league. Not sure about Nelson to be honest. Hopefully im proved wrong on Hughes, Gill and Wiggins.

It may be down to hope,but McVeigh could still be a big player for us!! (Not in stature[:P])What about our youth,apart from Adeyemi?

at the moment I am feeling that HUghes, Holt and Whaley will be ok, am worried about Nelson and Gill in particular. Maric, whiggins and Askou could be anything

quote user=Sir Arthur Whittle OBE, CBE, OAP.]Also Im a bit worried about the ex Palace lad Rhys Wiggins and Matty Gill being a miss along with Hughes just dont trust scottish football standards, but hits hopefully will be, Holt, McVeigh, Maric, Askou, Tudar Jones, Whalley, Adeyemi, and Theo if Alnwick doesnt stay, but think Alnwick could do well in this league. Not sure about Nelson to be honest. Hopefully im proved wrong on Hughes, Gill and Wiggins.

Just about spot on there Arthur, although I think Nelson is very solid.  Unfortunately I think Doc is the weak link in the CB department.  Young Tom is going to be the player of the season if he gets his chance, just hope we can keep im for a few years.  What price on a young mans loyalty?

The only signing I would be confident about predicting is one that hasn''t yet been announced - Huckerby later in the season, that one will make us all feel good and will be a spectacular miss!

Hits

OT-Jones, Korey Smith. At the training session at C.Road, Smith looked a million miles ahead of the other players from our youth ranks, looks better than some of our senior players too. Jones is a mountain, has a ferocious long range shot when he chooses to use it. Both should go down a treat with the fans :)

Miss

Sadly I''m going to say Maric. I hope his aggressive attitude doesn''t get the better of him, he stated he will get loads of yellow cards but no reds... I hope he doesn''t end up suspended all the time. May also struggle to adapt to English first team football after playing in a shoddy Barcelona B team (nothing like a competitive first team league at all) I really hope I am wrong though! :)

Agree with a previous poster, Cureton will miss everything! ;)

I have a good feeling about Paul McVeigh, Maric and Holt. I feel the others will be unspectacular apart from Gill who I think might turn out to be the new Neil Emblem.

Matty Gill will be the pick of the bunch for me, along with OTJ, i''m very excited about that midfield pairing and from the Palace game reports it sounds like i was right about them too.

Maric for me is very 50/50 and Wiggins is very unknown.

All supposition but Askou COULD be a good long-term acquisition. Having played in Turkey, which is not the weakest or most faint-hearted league in the world, may be a sign that he can adapt to English football. And he may have come with a recommendation from Steen, who presumably thinks he can cut it here.Added to that, the word seems to be that he can play a bit as well, and with Stefanovic (our one footballing central defender) being the wrong side of 30, then Askou could be his successor.

Hits: Whaley, Hughes, Askou.

Miss: Gill, Nelson, McVeigh.

I think Tudor-Jones, Holt, Maric and Theoklitos will be good enough to cement a place in the first team but will not stand out. Wiggins will prove a great signing as he is young and has a lot of potential but will not stand-out in his first season.

[quote user="Lambo"]Matty Gill will be the pick of the bunch for me, along with OTJ, i''m very excited about that midfield pairing and from the Palace game reports it sounds like i was right about them too. Maric for me is very 50/50 and Wiggins is very unknown.[/quote]

Stephen Hughes will play ahead of Gill though I suspect.