Sign in to follow this  
knockin on heavens door

Bobby Robson - Ameobi/Carl Cort Story

Howard Wilkinson, chairman of the League Managers'' Association:

"My best memories of Bobby are the funny ones, all the more funny because he remained blissfully unaware, nor offended that his faux pas became a source of such fun.

"At one England Under-21 gathering, I selected Shola Ameobi who was a young striker at Newcastle under him. Bobby had also bought at great expense Carl Cort, a striker from Wimbledon.

"Shola had about six Christian names, most of them, to me, unpronounceable and in an attempt to put him at his ease on his debut performance, I called the lad over and asked him what Bobby called him when he was at the club.

"With absolutely no sense of resentment, rather more with a sense of love and understanding, Shola said, ''Carl Cort, mostly''.

I love the story regarding Bryan Robson and Sir Bobby Robson during his tenure as England manager. Apparently Sir Bobby saw Bryan walking towards him in the lobby where the England team was staying. Sir Bobby greets Bryan Robson with the immortal words: "Morning Bobby." No, said Bryan, "You''re Bobby, I''m Bryan." Classic.

Pity there''s no bloody edit facility. There were 3 vital words missing in my earlier post. Please read: "in the lobby OF THE HOTEL where the England team were staying." It makes more sense that way!

His ability to get players'' names wrong was legendary. I heard a lovely story from Russell Osman about how Sir Bobby could never get Eric Gates'' name right. I can''t recall what he used to call him but what struck me most was that the story gave the clear impression that this weakness with names endeared him to his players rather than caused any resentment.

[quote user="crafty canary"]His ability to get players'' names wrong was legendary. I heard a lovely story from Russell Osman about how Sir Bobby could never get Eric Gates'' name right. I can''t recall what he used to call him but what struck me most was that the story gave the clear impression that this weakness with names endeared him to his players rather than caused any resentment.[/quote]

The most apt name would be short-arsed tosser. I remember we all used to delight in trying to wind EG up when ever he played at Carrow Road.