Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

The team that WILL start this season

I know there have been a few threads on this but I fully believe, current fitness considerations included, last minute injuries permitting, the team that will open the campain will be:-------------Theo------------Semmy - Doc - Nelson - DruryWhaley - OTJ - Gill - Wes--------Holt - ???Holt''s neighbour is the only one I''m unsure of. I think Cody was being lined up for it, but will he be fit enough to start the campaign? I believe he''ll get the game against Wigan to prove himself. The only other possible change could be Hughes for Gill, but, as with Cody, I wonder if Colchester will come too soon for him. Askou will be fighting Nelson I think but the combination of Doc and Nelson has showed good early promise, and that''ll count in their favour. The same can be said of the combination of OTJ and Gill. Gill''s corner delivery may come into consideration also. I think once Wiggins is fit, he''ll be pressing Drury all the way, and might well edge him out.One last point, I know we have a good squad now, and think maybe we''ll wait till January to see if we can use the Clingan (and Russell) money to strengthen further. The two area''s I wouldn''t mind seeing further reinforcements are further competition up front, to partner Holt/Maric, and right wing incase Whaley is crocked.

I disagree. Hughes will start, I think he will be one of our best players this season - really pleased with that signing.

I''d agree with that, and your point about Cody also.

Only bit i dis-agree with is the bit about RM, i think McVeigh is more than adequate there as cover for Whaley.

I''d rather see us sign another RB.

I agree with most of that crazy.  I think Hughes will partner Tudor Jones in the middle and have a funny feeling Cureton will start up front.

[quote user="Dan-NCFC"]

CURETON!

[/quote]Hmm, through circustance, he might just get that opening game. Few will be backing him long term though, I feel.

[quote user="Yella7"]I agree with most of that crazy.  I think Hughes will partner Tudor Jones in the middle and have a funny feeling Cureton will start up front.[/quote]

Cureton - what makes you think that? - can''t be based on his ability, skill, pace or goalscoring ability - he has none of these attributes!

[quote user="Lambo"]I''d agree with that, and your point about Cody also.

Only bit i dis-agree with is the bit about RM, i think McVeigh is more than adequate there as cover for Whaley.

I''d rather see us sign another RB.[/quote]Fair point re McVeigh, although I feel he perhaps better deputises Wes. Lappin''s delivery shouldn''t be overlooked either, it''s just a shame there''s not that little bit more to his game. I can see a loan coming in at RB

I think Cureton has come in for some unfair critisicm (sp?) 

Admittedly he made a right hash of last season, but is a proven goalscorer in previous seasons and we''ve seen players turn it around before, not to mention the fact we''re playing in a league where Cureton has flourished in his career.

Plus the fact he hasn''t had a big striker to play with regular since Chris Iwelumo he now has a chance to form a partnership with either Holt or Maric, there are two or three positives that is against the one negative which may mean Cureton is in for a decent season!

Plus if you look at the other options of Cody McDonald and Chris Martin, I don''t think either are ready yet, McDonald could benefit from a run of games, but I don''t think this is going to happen, and Martin although Luton''s top goalscorer last season, still needs to prove himself after his ''big I am'' routine 2 seasons back.

So opening day? I would go with Holt and Cureton, lets not forget the last time Jamie played against Colchester? He scored a hattrick, anything like a repeat of that Saturday week would surely prove all the doubters wrong.  

[quote user="refjezhitchin"]

I think Cureton has come in for some unfair critisicm (sp?) 

Admittedly he made a right hash of last season, but is a proven goalscorer in previous seasons and we''ve seen players turn it around before, not to mention the fact we''re playing in a league where Cureton has flourished in his career.

Plus the fact he hasn''t had a big striker to play with regular since Chris Iwelumo he now has a chance to form a partnership with either Holt or Maric, there are two or three positives that is against the one negative which may mean Cureton is in for a decent season!

Plus if you look at the other options of Cody McDonald and Chris Martin, I don''t think either are ready yet, McDonald could benefit from a run of games, but I don''t think this is going to happen, and Martin although Luton''s top goalscorer last season, still needs to prove himself after his ''big I am'' routine 2 seasons back.

So opening day? I would go with Holt and Cureton, lets not forget the last time Jamie played against Colchester? He scored a hattrick, anything like a repeat of that Saturday week would surely prove all the doubters wrong.  

[/quote]Yes and no. I agree Cureton has shown some ability at this level before, but this does not mean he will automatically flourish at this level again. Yes, he may get more chances, aided by having a Holt/Maric to play beside, but, as I believe has been pointed out before, his problem has not just been the amount of chances being provided, but what he has done with the ball when those chances have been presented to him. The goal frame is no bigger in this league.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]

[quote user="Yella7"]I agree with most of that crazy.  I think Hughes will partner Tudor Jones in the middle and have a funny feeling Cureton will start up front.[/quote]

Cureton - what makes you think that? - can''t be based on his ability, skill, pace or goalscoring ability - he has none of these attributes!

[/quote]

Zzzzzzzzzz.... Cureton, barn door ...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................Cureton, Row Z  .............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......... Gunn, tactically clueless  .............. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Agree with the post before the one above.

Jamie has missed sooo many easy chances that no matter what league he was in you''d expect a striker to score from.

It''s not a case of his all-round ability it''s if you give him the ball will he score?? On the basis of last season he won''t.

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]I know there have been a few threads on this but I fully believe, current fitness considerations included, last minute injuries permitting, the team that will open the campain will be:

-------------Theo------------

Semmy - Doc - Nelson - Drury

Whaley - OTJ - Gill - Wes

--------Holt - ???

Holt''s neighbour is the only one I''m unsure of. I think Cody was being lined up for it, but will he be fit enough to start the campaign? I believe he''ll get the game against Wigan to prove himself. The only other possible change could be Hughes for Gill, but, as with Cody, I wonder if Colchester will come too soon for him. Askou will be fighting Nelson I think but the combination of Doc and Nelson has showed good early promise, and that''ll count in their favour. The same can be said of the combination of OTJ and Gill. Gill''s corner delivery may come into consideration also. I think once Wiggins is fit, he''ll be pressing Drury all the way, and might well edge him out.

One last point, I know we have a good squad now, and think maybe we''ll wait till January to see if we can use the Clingan (and Russell) money to strengthen further. The two area''s I wouldn''t mind seeing further reinforcements are further competition up front, to partner Holt/Maric, and right wing incase Whaley is crocked.
[/quote]

add cureton and thats your team for colchester.

Sadly Curo is too much of a risk. I think he''s a big gamble in our current predicament. We need someone who can put away the majority of chances that are given to him. Strikers wins games at the end of the day. You can have the best wingers creating countless chances, but it''s pointless if your frontmen can''t convert them. Please prove me wrong though Jamie because I genuinely think your heart is in the right place!

Got the midfield wrong, without doubt Adeyemi is ahead in the pecking order of Tudor Jones, Gill and Hughes.Id go with Maric and Holt up front, seein as tho Maric is more of a target man and Holt more of a worker. I can see Maric staying central and Holt, Hoola and Whaley providing the ammunition.

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]Sadly Curo is too much of a risk. I think he''s a big gamble in our current predicament. We need someone who can put away the majority of chances that are given to him. Strikers wins games at the end of the day. You can have the best wingers creating countless chances, but it''s pointless if your frontmen can''t convert them. Please prove me wrong though Jamie because I genuinely think your heart is in the right place![/quote]

Good point but lets look at the other options taking into account its Holt plus one other:

Goran Maric - still unproven in English Football may not be seen as a good partner for Holt rather a good back up

Chris Martin - top scorer at Luton last season, but as i stated previously still has a lot to prove to the Carrow Road faithful after his antics before he was exiled

Cody McDonald - goalscoring pedigree at lower leagues, pace, still relatively unproven at this level though - expect him to be a bit/part player next season

Paul McVeigh - moving on

Youth players - obvious really

Not saying Cureton has anything over the above players, or he should be gauranteed a place in the starting line-up, or not saying that we''re not going to score any goals because potentially all the above mentioned minus McVeigh and youth are capable but I believe Cureton deserves a chance

True Refjez. He may well be our best option and he probably deserves a fresh start. Just think he''s got a big mountain to climb when you consider he''s the wrong side of 30 now and he''s pretty low on morale.

After today''s final warm-up, I think we have seen, on merit, who has done enough to fill that final piece of the jigsaw up front, and the creative Hughes'' set up a goal as well as being involved in another move resulting in a goal, therefore I present my final best (and, I feel, pretty accurate) guess for opening day:-------------Theo------------Semmy - Doc - Nelson - DruryWhaley - OTJ - Hughes - Wes--------Holt - Martin --------

Gill will be pushing Hughes ALL the way, however.OTBC

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]After today''s final warm-up, I think we have seen, on merit, who has done enough to fill that final piece of the jigsaw up front, and the creative Hughes'' set up a goal as well as being involved in another move resulting in a goal, therefore I present my final best (and, I feel, pretty accurate) guess for opening day:

-------------Theo------------

Semmy - Doc - Nelson - Drury

Whaley - OTJ - Hughes - Wes

--------Holt - Martin --------

Gill will be pushing Hughes ALL the way, however.

OTBC
[/quote]

100% agree on the team, unless we get injuries I think this is the team we will start the season with.

Spillane must count himself very very unlucky not to have a starting place somewhere...... Semi made the position his with todays performance.

He needs to keep it going.

Spillane, because he plays both CB and RB will be an automatic sub this year if he doesnt start.

Now for the 7 subs......... Alnwick, McDonald, Maric, Spillane, Adeyemi, Gill, Lappin

With so many players knocking on the door everyone who plays will have to perform.........

Most teams in LG will struggle to fill 18 places with any kind of quality......... We will be leaving decent players out.

I don''t want to get too carried away but I dont think pre-season could have gone any better in terms of performance and in terms of bringing in players.

Everything that was promised by Gunn and McNally has been delivered..............

I still think more players will arrive but a few will either leave or go out on loan (Cureton, Dejan, Pattison plus some youngsters)

I still think we havn''t seen the last of Hucks in a Norwich shirt.