Sign in to follow this  
TheCardinal

Full Time Report

So, after my hastily written report on my phone at half time, I can give you the more in depth full time report.Second half was as encouraging as the first, some good play from a good overall team performance. Defensively, we looked solid. Doherty and Spillane performed admirably as a central defensive unit, and really marked their men well. Otsemobor was at fault for their first goal, leaving the man unmarked on the set piece. However, offensively he was very good, providing a real threat down the right a longside Whaley. Drury looked really solid and was, IMO, one of two picks for MotM. He was strong, good offensively and excellent defensively. Wigan''s wingers had real trouble getting by him. All four who started the match finished it.In midfield, we started with a midfield five of Martin on left, Whaley on right, Tudur Jones and Hughes in middle with Hoolahan roaming. Martin on left doesn''t really work for me. He doesn''t have the control skills to really work as a winger. He needs to be up front getting himself in dangerous positions to score goals. With Holt alongside him, I think that would work well. When he was pushed a bit further forward, he did very well indeed. A very encouraging performance from him. Whaley on the right drifted in and out of the game a bit, but when in the game looked really quite dangerous. He proved he could really trouble his full back and produced some neat passes. The midfield two I felt looked solid and very good. Hughes was a bit less static in the second half and showed some good running, but much more impressive was his excellent passing. Some very neat, encouraging stuff. Tudur Jones who was also excellent. Solid as a rock, sharp tackles and constantly pressing the opposition. I like that in a player and I think I''ll like Tudur Jones the more I see him. Finally, Hoolahan. What a player - the pass for Whaley''s winner was simply sublime. He was a constant thorn in Wigan''s side, and Wigan ended up just fouling him constantly. I think Hoolahan will be a big player for us - and he was my other choice for MotM. Gill came on for Tudur Jones and did well; reminded me a bit of Clingan with his tracking back, tackling and passing game. Adeyemi looked solid when he came on as well, using his strength against some accomplished opposition. But he does need to learn where to stand to win headers.Up front, Holt ran his heart out, but looked isolated and a little unfit. Some very nice touches, and his ability to pick a pass was also encouraging. Cody came on for Martin and looked sharp, some good running and challenged the Wigan defence well. Cureton came on for Holt later on, and didn''t really have much impact for me.So, next week will be Colchester and the start of our season in League One. It''ll be interesting to see what happens next week, and what team he plays. Gunny now has a squad with a number of good options and I personally don''t think eleven players stand out above anyone else. I think the squad we have here is good enough to get us back into the Championship - but we must get off to a good start next week.

Not sure if you can blame Semi for first goal, Doc just threw himself at Nzogbia and got completely done!

[quote user="missing in action"]hoolahan lost the ball about 30yds out for the first goal.im pretty sure...then doc lunged in (missed) and n''zogbia finished well. [/quote]That is true but other than that Hoolahan was absolutely fantastic. He''s got to stop this or surely a higher-division club will come in for him...

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="missing in action"]hoolahan lost the ball about 30yds out for the first goal.
im pretty sure...
then doc lunged in (missed) and n''zogbia finished well.
[/quote]
That is true but other than that Hoolahan was absolutely fantastic. He''s got to stop this or surely a higher-division club will come in for him...
[/quote]

That''s what I fear. Either now or in January.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="missing in action"]hoolahan lost the ball about 30yds out for the first goal.im pretty sure...then doc lunged in (missed) and n''zogbia finished well. [/quote]That is true but other than that Hoolahan was absolutely fantastic. He''s got to stop this or surely a higher-division club will come in for him...[/quote]

That''s what I fear. Either now or in January.

[/quote]Then it''s up to us fans to show him the kind of appreciation we showed Hucks so that he is less tempted to move on if an offer comes in.

Yeah, Hoolahan did lose the ball for our first goal, but the defenders also got done far too easily. As has been said, Wesley was absolutely fantastic today and at times it looked like Wigan did not know what to do with him. I said in a different thread a while back, I hope we don''t lose him in January. Sometimes I worry if us SIGNING Rhoys Wiggins, which was originally toted as a loan, was a makeweight in a potential Hoolahan deal. As Warnock is already a confirmed admirer. We were fantastic today and Semmy fully deserved his MOtM award. Always worried Wigan going forward, showed some spectacular skill and touches to beat players and got back well when needed. Let''s just hope he keeps this up and doesn''t start losing concentration. Playing in League One will have undoubtedly given some of these players, who know they''re better than that, massive confidence. I was also impressed with the way Spillane brought the ball out of defence, lookin confident with it too and picking a good pass most of the time. The Doc organised well and looks fit and ready to go. He''s gonna be handing out some "bad medicine" this season!I agree with what has been said about Holt. Wigan seemed to put two men on him, as I guess they saw him as a threat, and although my friends seemed to think he "lumbered about" I was saying that he drew the defenders attention and freed up space for Martin. He worked hard too, and tracked back well, along with taking his two goals very aptly.For me, Hughes was a bit of a let down. There is undoubted skill and potential, maybe he isn''t entirely fit. I saw some nice touches, but he''s a total bean pole and gets battered around easily. Guess I should have listened to the Scottish. However, I can see him being an important player in terms of his creativity.....but he could do with putting on a few pounds!All in all I was massively pleased to see a committed Norwich City team, who have great heart and will NOT let their heads drop as in previous seasons!I''m excited!!![<:o)]OTBC!!

Thanks for the report.  It will be interesting to see the size of the crowd next Saturday, the preseason will probably have a lot to help get bums on seats against Colchester. It will  be interesting to see how all these guys perform when they are under real pressure and not playing in a nothing to lose friendly.