Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

The Pink 'Un.....RIP?

I used to get my mum and dad to save me the copies and get them to send it down. But since the advent of the tinterweb,have not bought it.

It is just changing times - there are very few football papers left.  Your Evening News will go, in time.  Down below 18,000 I believe.

As someone who used to work in newspapers (not editorial thankfully!), I understand the "changing times" conversation. The amusing thing, to me anyway, is that newspapers are still not understanding what the world is doing around them. They are still too busy managing falling circulation, infighting and throwing money at collaborations with other newspaper groups to actually take risks or provide even a spark of innovation.I''ve always been quite impressed with the way that Archant have moved in the online space. But ultimately, they are still just peddling the same content in a new medium. As a brand, the Pink Un will live on, but I can''t see that the ideas are there to actually keep it profitable. Which is a shame.This thread has brought back some good memories about the Pink Un. I still have a box of them in the attic, some cut up into scrap books. They must have been packed away, and moved between houses about 5 times now :) You can never throw away things like that :)On the ball city!

[quote user="Hucks 96"]I thought the decision to stop printing the Pink Un was made some time ago. However I think Archant are thinking of putting a sort of supplement in the Monday EDP - which they may even call the Pink Un.

I can fondly remember waiting in the the local newsagents (who stayed open late especially) for the Pink Un to arrive. The shop used to get quite full of chaps standing around waiting, chatting about the game. Those were the days before Radio Norfolk did commentary. So if it was an away game you really didn''t know how we had played until you read about it. We used to send our copy away to my uncle who moved about the UK a fair bit because of his job. He always looked forward to it arriving on Tuesday morning. I used to like reading about the local teams as well. It is a shame that Archant don''t cover as much local football as they used to.

I think it was called the Pink Un simply because it was printed on pink paper - why pink paper I am not sure. It''s a sad day if it goes. Another piece of football history lost. 
[/quote]

Now that would be a great idea....

The local leagues must be allowed a shop window somewhere and this could be the answer should the Pink Un disappear.

Any whispers Pete?

[quote user="Camuldonum"]It is just changing times - there are very few football papers left.  Your Evening News will go, in time.  Down below 18,000 I believe.[/quote]The trouble, it seems to me, is that no paper medium can ever produce actual news and definitely not scoops as it will already be known electronically through TV, Radio or Internet. As a result newspapers are news for people who don''t or can''t use the internet or in the cases of the broadsheets and Sundays as they can no longer be news mediums they actually have to be experts who retrospectively explain, discuss and predict what will happen next on each ''news'' story, more magazine or journal. However for me this has been replaced with huge amounts of news and information about everything online, although I do still enjoy reading a paper on Saturday and Sunday before the sports events of the day begins. 

I''ll be sad if it does go!

Always looked forward to going and getting it on a Sunday morn, win or lose.

Got loads of old copies in my loft!!!!!

For those that don''t remember, it used to be twice as big and printed on pink paper.

Do get fed up with some of the tat they print though!

OTBC!

[quote user="PKC"]

For about the first time ever I agree with Cluck, there is nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgic sentiment. I can well remember in the early seventies waiting outside the local newsagent for the pink-un to arrive. It was pink then and broadsheet.

[/quote]

Me too - ha ha [:D]

Well, actually, it''s not the first time ever but it''s pretty close [:)]

You guys always agree with me eventually.......

My "may as well say it as think it" policy in life isn''t always for the faint hearted... but you certainly you know where I stand!

You all love me really I''m sure......  [:$]

The net will kill traditional media, especially with the growth of things like Twitter offering instant information.Can the media adapt?  Probably not.

[quote user="St. Cluck"]

You guys always agree with me eventually.......

My "may as well say it as think it" policy in life isn''t always for the faint hearted... but you certainly you know where I stand!

You all love me really I''m sure......  [:$]

[/quote]

[:D]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

As a suscriber to the '' Pink ''Un '' for longer than I care to remember I''ve not had the usual subscription reminder so far this year.

I rang Archant and was told that talks are going on as to the future of the publication and we subscribers would be told of the paper''s fate very soon. It sounded to me that because of the internet sales have declined to the extent that it''s no longer viable to print a hard copy.

I don''t suppose for one minute that this will concern some on here who''ve probably never bought a copy but I think it will be a sad day to see the dear old '' Pink ''Un '' vanish from the newsagents after all these years.

Anyone else likely to shed a tear ?

[/quote]

Yep, sure as night follows day the letter of doom from Archant Towers plopped on the doormat yesterday morning.

As I suspected the dear old '' Pink ''Un '' Saturday paper is no more. Apparently , " Unfortunately due to economic conditions and a declining demand it is no longer possible to continue publishing  the Pink Un as a newspaper ".

The letter goes on to wax lyrical about all the wonderful alternative sources of all things NCFC which is all very lovely I''m sure, but naturally, after all these years of rain-or-shine solid continuity, there''s no mention at all of the history of the publication or the peculiar weekend habits that went with being a reader.History seems to be a dirty word in a world full of digitalia.

I''m not naive enough to think that everything lasts forever but I''m still sad to see it go.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]Next to go will be the "evening papers" at Norwich and Ipswich.[/quote]

....followed by the neighbourhood community gossip sheets at Colchester and Lincoln.