Sign in to follow this  
bailojnr

Ratings

Just got back from the game and was delighted with the performance! I know it''s only a friendly but Wigan still put a strong team out that cost more than our club. They weren''t exactly in our faces but will have far more athleticism and ability than anyone we''ll play in the league this year. My ratings are below. Bring on next Sat!

Theo: 6/10 - Not a lot to do. At no fault for the goals. Seems to have a good boot on him and I could hear his calls from the back of the Jarrold.

Drury: 6/10 - Looked like the old Drury today, Mr Dependable may be back.

Spillane: 7/10 - Hadn''t seen a huge amount of Spillane before today, but was quite impressed. Looked good in the air and tried to play it out of defence if he could. Having seen Askou last week I''d be inclined to go with him next week but wouldn''t be concerned if Spillane is on the teamsheet.

Doc: 7/10 - I''m not Docs biggest fan generally but did nothing wrong today. Will be fine in League 1.

Otsemobor: 9/10 - Got the MOTM and you can''t argue too much with the decision. Looked superb today. Set up Martins 1st with a great birst of speed and an accurate pass. Has to start at right back next week. I don''t know if anyone else noticed but both full backs were pushing high up the pitch from goal kicks, leaving three at the back. Wasn''t sure about the logic initially but it gave midfielders options if we picked up the ball and made winning the second ball more probable. Otsemobor was more involved today than I''ve seen him in a long time as a result. Well done Gunny.

Hoolahan: 9/10 - My MOTM. The bloke is class! He ran the show today and he seems to thrive in his ''free'' role. Praying nobody bids for him cos he''s capable of being the spark that can ignite our title challenge.

OTJ: 8/10 - For me this guy is our best midfielder. He has the natural attributes without doubt, also has the ability to get a toe in when most wouldn''t reach. Will brake-up play and give a simple ball whenever possible. Will probably get a few goal from set pieces too with any luck.

Hughes: 7/10 - Took a while to get into his flow but I personally saw enough to be convinced he should start next week. Looked composed on the ball and got stuck-in when required. Got his head up and played intelligently. V.happy without OTJ and Hughes as our starting CM partnership.

Whaley: 7/10 - Took his goal very very well and had Wigans left back in trouble on more than one occasion. Him and Otsemobor looked like the real deal today, 2 players out of the same mould physically and the interchange was a pleasure to watch. Held his width (with Hooolahan drifting this will be v.important) and delivered consistantly good crosses.

Martin: 8/10 - Scored two, which gives Gunn a hard decision to make for next week. Some nice touches and interplay with those around him. Tracked back very well, which is nice to see from someone whose temprament has been questioned in the past. Some nice runs, which created space for those around him and I was particularly impressed with his quick feet for his second goal. On merit he deserves to start for me, their may be better strikers but if you score two you deserve to start!

Holt: 8/10 - Solid Solid Solid. Finally a target man of genuine quality. Works hard and will put his body on the line. Will also by us precious time this year as he won''t be nudged off the ball easily. Has to start next week.

Subs:

Gill & Adeyemi: 6/10 - Did nothing wrong and showed what strength in depth and competition we now have in CM. The team did not look any weaker when they came on, which is a great sign.

McDonald: 6/10 - Looked lively, as you would expect, but did not see enough of him with Holt to judge how they may play together. He has pace, which may be important with Holt, Martin and Maric not having a great deal.

Cureton: 5/10 - Did not deserve the boos from some sections of the crowd when he came on - I''m sorry but to boo an NCFC player with the current feel good factor is just plain stupid! It''s not like he doesn''t give his all either - I want him to do well for us but does look past his best and off the pace. Sorry, but wouldn''t currently make the bench for me.

I was really impressed with Theo''s control and command of his area today. Constantly making VERY loud, VERY clear calls for the ball and for crosses.

I must say, Adayemi really looks promising. When he lost the ball on the odd occasion he sprinted back and won it straight back off the wigan player with no hesitation. Crucial header in the second half to Holt who started the GLORIOUS move resulting in Whaley''s goal.

Our closing down overall was a joy to see today. In recent years we tended to sit back and let opposition run onto us but not today... and boy did it prove to be such a useful asset to the squad.

If we play anywhere near like we did today against Colchester... bloody good luck to them... they won''t know what''s hit them!

Cheers bailo[Y].Booing Curo at this time is wrong.We all know he''s not the best,but to crush any remaining confidence out of him is counter-productive at the least.

Good to hear that Semmy had a blinder.He must have some real competition for his place!

Very good write up and report mate, and I will only differ with one, Spillane a 6 for me, at times he lost concentration and as a result position, which ultimately led to poor clearances. I think he will struggle to make even the bench when we start for real....there are too many good players in front of him.

[quote user="bailojnr"]

Cureton: 5/10 - Did not deserve the boos from some sections of the crowd when he came on - I''m sorry but to boo an NCFC player with the current feel good factor is just plain stupid! It''s not like he doesn''t give his all either - I want him to do well for us but does look past his best and off the pace. Sorry, but wouldn''t currently make the bench for me.

[/quote]100% agree with this. I''m no massive fan of Jamie-Lad, but FFS if people are not going to get behind the team now, before a ball is kicked in anger, then when are they? Anyone who was booing, hang your head in shame!

I saw the game today and must say Norwich played well even though they sat a little deep at times. Wigan had a lot of the ball but with the system we used the counter attack was always on. We used this to good effect especially the third goal. Agreed that Hoolahan,Whalley,OTJ ans Semmy looked very good today but my main concern was the goalkeeper. He looked glued to his line and did not seem to want to get involved when crosses were flying around the box. Also his distribution was a little slow as players wanted the ball early but he just wanted to boot the ball up field. This is not a slating of Theo but an honest observation. There is no doubt he is not fully up to speed due to the Hip injury but i am a little concerned that he may not be good enough. lets hope I am wrong

[quote user="porkyp"]Very good write up and report mate, and I will only differ with one, Spillane a 6 for me, at times he lost concentration and as a result position, which ultimately led to poor clearances. I think he will struggle to make even the bench when we start for real....there are too many good players in front of him.[/quote]Dunno about that! He was extremely convincing against Palace the other day I''d say (judging by the Semmy reports here and his contribution at Palace) that right back has genuine competition for the 1st time in ages.

Great report and thanks for that.

I think all of last year''s players deserve a fresh start this year, Curo included. Semmy was man of the match, so give him a fresh start as well.

I see Spillane giving competition to Semmy at RB rather than CB (which he prefers). Great that he can also play as holding midfielder if required.

I think that Theoklitos will need more game time before being judged as well.

[quote user="porkyp"]Very good write up and report mate, and I will only differ with one, Spillane a 6 for me, at times he lost concentration and as a result position, which ultimately led to poor clearances. I think he will struggle to make even the bench when we start for real....there are too many good players in front of him.[/quote]

Glad I''m not the only one who wasn''t that impressed by him.

Defensively I thought he was weak and some of his passing was a bit loose. Had Wigan had a bit more punch upfront I think he''d have struggled.

I really can''t see him being any more than a backup player, maybe coming on for the last few minutes if we''re holding on to a lead. Maybe he''ll get a start in the cups but as far as the league goes I don''t think he''ll do much.

i don''t agree with whaley''s crosses, in the first half were quite bad a few didn''t get off the floor and beat the first man some weren''t too bad they improved in the 2nd half but i thought he generally looked quite good