Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Sir Bobby Robson, 1933-2009

I don''t think this is the thread Andy to be fair to be starting topics like that.  Let''s let things lie for a while and show the man some respect.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]Just found out that he had passed away, very saddening news. A truly great passionate man who knew how to be nothing but a sincere gentleman. Its nice to see that everybody on this board is remaining respectful, I know that many Sunderland fans have not been on another forum which is a disgrace. Even Craig Bellamy got on like a house on fire with him, he is one of only a few men with no enemys. Bobby RIP[/quote]

I have just been listening to one of many several Sunderland fans who I have listened to on TalkSport today who have not had a bad word to say about Sir Bobby.

Also several Sunderland scarves left at the gates with flowers at St James Park (shown on Sky Sports News).

I have also heard from Wolves fans paying tribute, despite the fact that he played for WBA.

Your above comments are pretty wide of the mark in my opinion.

I myself even considered travelling over to Portman Road this afternoon to pay my respects.  Decided against it as would not want to stir up feelings if there was somebody there who would not want a Norwich fan on their turf.

I think for most people though, Sir Bobby is held above all football rivalries... many Scots also calling in TalkSport to pay tribute.

[/quote]You would have been most welcome.

Watched the end of the tribute to Bobby Robson on ITV 4, and he truly was a remarkable manager and man. They may be the scum, but seeing the sights of Ipswich as they parade the uefa cup makes you wish Norwich could have a manager like Sir Bobby. It''s always sad when football loses a legend, and Robson was inspirational in football. R.I.P.

I think it very much shows you what a great man the guy was when you see so many people paying respect to him. Just saw the documentary they had about him on bbc1. Found it sad as they show him just a few years ago when he was still at newcastle looking so active and well back then and to see him in his last few months in such a frail condition is very sad. 

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]I don''t think this is the thread Andy to be fair to be starting topics like that.  Let''s let things lie for a while and show the man some respect.[/quote]I think it''s a reasonable question WAY49. I was too young to get all uptight about things when he stumbled off to Italia 90 under a cloud of negative publicity (I met him just before they went out there but I just saw him as a superhero). But Andy raises an interesting point about how we change our stance on someone''s character / abilities with the benefit of perspective or logic. I think that Sir Bobby''s passing gives us all an opportunity to guage how the game works - as I said in an earlier post - he stood for something which football has tended to evolve away from recently. In his time he suffered his fair share of slings and arrows, it was his passion for the game, intelligence and humanity which geve him the strength to overcome such stuff. If what you mean is that we shouldn''t take the opportunity to point fingers or accuse then I agree wholeheartedly. But if Andy was asking rhetorically in the hope we''d consider our role in such campaigns then fair enough.

To some extent his passing represents the end of an era. His passion for the game itself always overcome everything else, and he could always see beyond the confines of his own club, something that most modern managers can''t. He will be sadly missed and I hope next week''s one minute''s applause will raise the roof.

Ipswich supporters NEVER turned against Bobby during tough times when he was with England and elsewhere, so it makes me very angry to hear the hypocrisy of some journalists (who vilified him), some Newcastle supporters (who spat at him) and the Newcastle directors (who sh@t on him) for them to be leading the praise of OUR Bobby.

[quote user="bluemike"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]Just found out that he had passed away, very saddening news. A truly great passionate man who knew how to be nothing but a sincere gentleman. Its nice to see that everybody on this board is remaining respectful, I know that many Sunderland fans have not been on another forum which is a disgrace. Even Craig Bellamy got on like a house on fire with him, he is one of only a few men with no enemys. Bobby RIP[/quote]

I have just been listening to one of many several Sunderland fans who I have listened to on TalkSport today who have not had a bad word to say about Sir Bobby.

Also several Sunderland scarves left at the gates with flowers at St James Park (shown on Sky Sports News).

I have also heard from Wolves fans paying tribute, despite the fact that he played for WBA.

Your above comments are pretty wide of the mark in my opinion.

I myself even considered travelling over to Portman Road this afternoon to pay my respects.  Decided against it as would not want to stir up feelings if there was somebody there who would not want a Norwich fan on their turf.

I think for most people though, Sir Bobby is held above all football rivalries... many Scots also calling in TalkSport to pay tribute.

[/quote]You would have been most welcome.
[/quote]

That is good to know MIKE and it was good to see that in the picture in this mornings EDP that one or 2 City fans had maybe had more courage than myself to show their dignity by placing City scarves and the like at Sir Bobby''s Statue the other day.

But it did make me wonder, pause and reflect prior to acting on Friday by allowing you Guys at Portman Road to have your moment.

Part of me would still like to maybe go over and take a look at the flowers and pay my respects ins some way etc.  As honestly I do not believe that I have ever been so moved by somebody dying who I have never really met.  My brother was the one who picked up todays paper and mentioned the City Scarves at Sir Bobby''s Statue and I said "good because I wanted to do exactly the same on Friday."

For anybody who would like to pay their respects, do you have any idea how long the tributes will be left by Sir Bobby''s Statue, what is happening at your first home game of the season against Leicester and how anything you may be arranging in Ipswich might tie in with events elsewhere?

Any info you could give us on this would be greatly appreciated Mike.