Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Sir Bobby Robson, 1933-2009

What a true gentleman a real football man , Sadly we are unlikely to see the sort of man as Sir Bobby again.

Rest in peace.

R.I.P.Says a lot about the man that his Ipswich connections are irrelavent. He was bigger than club rivalries, however deep.I''m reminded of a fairly recent interview (certainly well into his battle) where he said how lucky he was to have had the life he has, in and out of football.I''m sure he didn''t spend a minute of his long battle feeling sorry for himself. Top bloke, don''t know if they make ''em like that any more.

spookily he has died on my Birthday, today... RIP sir Bobby... if theres a footy team in heaven its just found its manager...

jas :)

Sad news, a top man in football and more than that a top man in life. Local rivalry does not come into it despite Binner connections, nothing but respect for Sir Bobby. Farewell and thanks for it all, especially Italia 90.

RIPMen like Sir Bobby are like trees in a field of grass he will not be forgotton a true gent.Todays superstars I hope pause to think that they are cashing in the love/tradition of the game that people like Sir Bobby built.He never needed to be arrogant, or rude since when your really that good respect comes without asking for it.Thank you for the memories

Bobby Robson was not only a shining example for the wonderful game in all respects but, when the really tough challenge came that many of us may have to face, there he was again as a shining example. Once the grief passes for his family they will take comfort in the future from the knowledge of the enduring love that millions felt for Bobby Robson.

the world is a sad place today.  football is a little less now the sad demise of one of my heros.

Very sad news. Best England manager, will be greatly missed.

So nice to read so many tributes from our biggest rivals on this terribly sad day for ITFC and the world of football in general, it puts football rivalry in perspective. Thanks for your kind words people.

Condolences to Bobby''s family. A great player in his time and a colossus as a manager.

He created great footballing sides at Ipswich Town and we East Anglian fans had the pleasure of witnessing some memorable derby games.

Bobby was welcome at football clubs around the world and his death is a great loss to the beautiful game. He will be missed.

RIP Bobby Robson.

Deeply saddened by his death.

After seeing him on Sunday at the legends game he didn''t look like he was to good....but i never thought it would be that soon....RIP Bobby...LEGEND and GENTLEMAN!

Just been reading some tributes and stories on various websites. 2 really funny ones.

Shola Ameobi was being interviewed by local tv and the reporter had been primed by a joker in the Newcastle team to ask Shola what his new nickname was, being as it related to a recent embarrassing off-pitch incident.

"So Shola, what''s your nickname?"

Ameobi, sheepishly: "Errr, I don''t know really..."

Reporter, prompting: " Well, what does Sir Bobby call you?"

Ameobi, deadpan: "Carl Cort".

The other was recounted by a young Newcastle fan who attended a book signing where Sir Bobby was signing copies of his autobiography.

"I bet you''ve signed a lot of these today Bobby" said the youngster.

"Oh, hundreds son, hundreds..." replied Bobby.

They had a brief chat and the youngster happily took his signed book away. In the car on the way home he opened the book and the message inside read:

"All the best, Bobby Hundreds"

Lovely guy, and a real players and fans manager. RIP.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]Just found out that he had passed away, very saddening news. A truly great passionate man who knew how to be nothing but a sincere gentleman. Its nice to see that everybody on this board is remaining respectful, I know that many Sunderland fans have not been on another forum which is a disgrace. Even Craig Bellamy got on like a house on fire with him, he is one of only a few men with no enemys. Bobby RIP[/quote]

I have just been listening to one of many several Sunderland fans who I have listened to on TalkSport today who have not had a bad word to say about Sir Bobby.

Also several Sunderland scarves left at the gates with flowers at St James Park (shown on Sky Sports News).

I have also heard from Wolves fans paying tribute, despite the fact that he played for WBA.

Your above comments are pretty wide of the mark in my opinion.

I myself even considered travelling over to Portman Road this afternoon to pay my respects.  Decided against it as would not want to stir up feelings if there was somebody there who would not want a Norwich fan on their turf.

I think for most people though, Sir Bobby is held above all football rivalries... many Scots also calling in TalkSport to pay tribute.

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

Just been reading some tributes and stories on various websites. 2 really funny ones.

Shola Ameobi was being interviewed by local tv and the reporter had been primed by a joker in the Newcastle team to ask Shola what his new nickname was, being as it related to a recent embarrassing off-pitch incident.

The other was recounted by a young Newcastle fan who attended a book signing where Sir Bobby was signing copies of his autobiography.

They had a brief chat and the youngster happily took his signed book away. In the car on the way home he opened the book and the message inside read:

[/quote]

haha I heard the Shola/Carl Cort one... made me laugh too!

Also somebody who had the original story about Sir Bobby''s labelling of Gazza as "Daft as a brush!"  Apparently, this was due to the fact that Sir Bobby and Gazza were having a chat on a tour of Holland and were discussing how certain people could not be dutch because they never had clogs on.  Gazza then mentioned something about them having Edam in their hair... at which point Sir Bobby turned to Don Howe (or whoever it was) and labelled Gazza as daft as a brush.

Also how prior to Gazza''s debut for England at wembley a fan asked Sir Bobby as he got off the team bus "will Gazza be playing?"  Sir Bobby turned to him and said "do you think he''s good enough?"  The fan replied "yes" and Sir Bobby said "well that''s good enough for me then" and proceeded to put Gazza on the team sheet! 

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

[/quote]

Brilliant stuff...keep em coming, the man was a legend and a gent. RIP. This should be pinned to the top of the page.

Yup, very sad news, I read his autobiography last year which was a great read, I recommend it to anyone on here. He was a success story as he become a pro whilst working down the mines, he''s definately a good role model to anyone wanting to follow their dreams, his achievements were remarkable. What a life he led, and he was truely a humble gentleman which is rare in todays game.

RIP Sir Bobby.

Very saddened to hear this news this morning. A great club and international manager, a great ambassador for the game and a great man too. This is a great loss not just to his family and closest friends, but to all those lives he had touched throughout the world of football, at Fulham, at Ipswich, for England, for Barcelona, for PSV Eindhoven, for Sporting Lisbon, for Newcastle (his native land of course) - have I missed anyone out?

This loss is up there with the losses of Sir Matt Busby, Bill Shankly and Brian Clough. A true battler, a true fighter and a true gentleman who will be sorely missed.

RIP Sir Bobby.

Very saddened too to hear this news when I got home. Genuinely nice people who are able to command the respect of all, from across different divides, are hard to find these days, but Sir Bobby was undoubtedly one of those. Condolences to his family, close friends and those whose clubs he had particular attachment with. RIP.