Sign in to follow this  
Largey

For the first time in years, we look like a TEAM!

There is no one-man standout player who we are looking to to produce the magic and make it happen, and we actually look like a team now. Was impressed with todays performance, not just because we beat a Premiership team, but we took it to them too. We didnt stand off them, and when we went behind twice, we were searching for the equaliser, not looking for excuses.

Secondly, our subs are not shadows of who they are replacing, we have a strong bench too. There is a real atmosphere within the stadium, between the crowd and especially within the team, you could see they joy at scoring the winner, they wanted it and they deserved it.

Confidence has been installed and lets see more of this next Saturday, when the true test is revealed.

[quote user="Largey"]There is no one-man standout player who we are looking to to produce the magic and make it happen  [/quote]

Apart from Wes Hoolahan. Different class. Genius with the ball.

Yes but then saying that he was at fault for their first goal, being picky. The team didnt hound him, just gee''d up for the equaliser. Last season we would have crumbled, even in a friendly.

[quote user="Largey"]Yes but then saying that he was at fault for their first goal, being picky. The team didnt hound him, just gee''d up for the equaliser. Last season we would have crumbled, even in a friendly.[/quote]

He was at fault. Hung on for the ball too long which is always going to happen with him but he''s just far too good to worry about it.

Agreed. Although Wes Hoolahan is going to be out key player this season he really impressed me with his team work ability, the only time he wanted to hog the ball was early in the first half which resulted in Wigan''s opening goal, after that he picked out his passes beautifully.

I was sitting a few rows up and could hear quite clearly the communication between players. Doherty is a fantastic choice of captain, constantly rooting on the players to get stuck in and praising them when they do what he asks.

For once, we have a captain who the players listen to, a vast squad of CONTRACTED players, a VERY simple yet VERY effective playing style... and heck... a Jon Otsemobor who fully warranted a MOM award against a Premiership first team... bring on Colchester!

Agree with nearly all of that.  What a massive difference it makes having our own players.  They were really working for each other and what I saw was PRIDE.

We had most of the possession from kickoff then Wigan scored with their first attack, and for about ten minutes it looked as if we might lose the plot but then we regrouped.  

Holt was a bit of an unsung hero, never looked like scoring but drew a lot of attention from the Wigan defence which freed up Martin.  

My overwhelming emotion as I came away from the ground today was one of even more annoyance with the clowns we''ve had managing this club over the last few years. They''ve spent shedloads of dosh on some very ordinary players, ours or loaned, yet we might just have here the best team we''ve seen in the yellow and green for a long time at a total cost of diddly squat of nothing. IF we continue to play as we did today this team would be top half Championship and here we are likely to have one heck of a battle on our hands trying to get out of League 1!

Silly mistakes for the goal, but i dont think in this division we will be punished for them! Whalleys crossing a concern, but im sure it will get better!Very good basis there!

I couldn''t agree more Barry B.

I know it''s only a friendly but i can''t remember the last time we played like a totally committed team. All comfortable on the ball, all trying to be available for a pass.

When you think of the dross we''ve put up with for years now!

If we keep this shape and attitude surely we will be near the top. Mind you a certain Mr Hoolahan is crucial.

Yes, it worries me a bit as to whether we can keep him and, even if we do, how well will he stand up to having lumps kicked out of him every week which will happen in League 1 as soon as teams realise he is our principal supply source. There are even more ugly bruisers in that league than in the Championship.

For the first time since a home match against Hull two seasons ago I attended today and was suitably impressed.Hope that Uncle Fester keeps playing Hoolahan in a free role and seriously considers getting in a pacey wide man on the left.

We have built a squad for the league we are in....which is division one....some people need to realize we are in this division for a reason!

I am optimistic we will do well in this division and although the 2 goals we conceded yesterday were from possibly 2 pieces of sloppy play i dont think your standard league 1 or even championship players would have finished them off as well as the wigan players.

Spot on.  Its the same with the Otsemobor bashers, what they fail to remember is that he is a defener in league one, and at that level could be very good.  If not we throw in Spillane! Options are there and its time to stop bloody moaning.[quote user="hurricane"]We have built a squad for the league we are in....which is division one....some people need to realize we are in this division for a reason!

I am optimistic we will do well in this division and although the 2 goals we conceded yesterday were from possibly 2 pieces of sloppy play i dont think your standard league 1 or even championship players would have finished them off as well as the wigan players.[/quote]

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Largey"]There is no one-man standout player who we are looking to to produce the magic and make it happen  [/quote]

Apart from Wes Hoolahan. Different class. Genius with the ball.

[/quote]

And now Gunn has alerted the world that we''ll struggle to hang on to him - nice one - no hair and obviously no brain either!