Sign in to follow this  
Chelmsford Canary

Our weakest position

Many are saying we need another right back as cover for Semmy, and other believe we need another striker to partner Holt.

I''m slightly worried about our goalkeeper. I don''t think Theo has played in any pre-season matches, so not sure of his fitness. Impressed with signing of Alnwick, but after three months will be back at Spurs. Lastly have Rudd who has great potential but no experience at moment.

I would start with Alnwick, but realise he will be  gone by end of Oct.

Is it possible to extend a three month loan until end of season?

For me, the weakest area of our squad is right back, striker and left mid. If we could get Maric and a young Man Utd loanee in the other positions we''d be set.

we really need cover for the wingers. we have wes,whaley n mcveigh who can play there and then ovb pattison can slot in but i feel we really need some pace down the flanks and someone who can put a good cross in for holts head. i also think rightback needs cover if semi plays like he did last year although we have got spillane comin back and hes showing good form

OTBC

theo will be fine by the start of the season, hopefully maric will complete the front line and then there''s only right back i''m not 100 % convinced with, semmi might be better this year tho and spillane might show he''s worth a space in the team, i''d rather see how they go first before adding more players tho. CB is well covered as is LB. Hoolahan and Whaley seem great players for L1 especially and the centre mid is really well covered even when Rusty leaves.

If this was my Sun dream team squad, I would want another striker, right back, left and right midfielder. Like shyster said, some pace is needed if possible.

I dont think we need another right back. Semi was poor at championship level but he was in the League 1 best 11 team a few years ago, so he can obviously play at that level. Spillane needs to be given games aswell and looks as good as anything we are likely to be able to attract. I''d personally spend the cash and wages saved on bringing in a another striker, or save it for January to freshen up the team then.

I agree Yellow, think we risk having too many players at the club for once when what we will need is a settled team with cover.

Players need to get regular game time to play to their full potential, do not want to see us doing a Liverpool and changing the team for every game.

Right back is the biggest problem.   We have conceeded too many goals to assume that the drop in level will suit Ots.  Clealry he CAN defend at this level,  but will he?  His performances so far this pre season suggest the old fallabilities remain so not having competetive cover is, frankly, stupid.

The question none of us know the answer to is whether Spillane is seen by team gunn as a centre back or midfielder who can play right back or as a right back.  Given the centre back signings, and askou offer,  I suspect that Spillane is not seen as good enough to be a centre back.  My personal view is that he is not good enough for central midfield and again the number of purchases so far would suggest Team gunn think that too.

I hope that they are confident that Spillane is good enough to push Ots - and will shake ots up when its clear that he will be dropped for persistent under performance.

I think Spillane is quite attack minded as well for a full back.  I know that is the accepted mental attitude nowadays but not sure how much better defensively he will be than Semi.

Right back is our weakest position for sure. Semi was a bloody disgrace at some points last season. I hope Spillane can either take his place or play a part in giving him a kick up the jacksy to get him performing. He was, after all, voted the best right back in this division when we signed him.   

Whoever said it was the wings i disagree, we''ve got Hoolahan, Whaley, WLY, Lappin, Pattison and Hughes covering them.

It''s probably RB that we''re weakest, followed by up-front due to Jamie''s unfortunate habit of blasting shots well of target.

I;d say up front until Maric is confirmed. Then right  back, but as yellow says, i''d rather save some money for later and see how semmi and spillane cope 1st unless something becomes available

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

Many are saying we need another right back as cover for Semmy, and other believe we need another striker to partner Holt.

I''m slightly worried about our goalkeeper. I don''t think Theo has played in any pre-season matches, so not sure of his fitness. Impressed with signing of Alnwick, but after three months will be back at Spurs. Lastly have Rudd who has great potential but no experience at moment.

I would start with Alnwick, but realise he will be  gone by end of Oct.

Is it possible to extend a three month loan until end of season?

[/quote]

This is not a wind up. All over the pitch.