Sign in to follow this  
Its only my opinion

Whats the highest attendance ever at carrow road..?

Am fed up of my dad going on about when Carrow Road used to have so much more fans there and the atmosphear was so much better.. Yet Norwich as a city has grown in population.

Am i right and he is exaggerating the good old day''s? Or did carrow road used to attract far more fans?

Plus in them days there were terraces so more people could fit in and everyone was standing = better atmosphere

He not lieing then! yea i always thought he exaggerating as the was standing n he was younge so seemed like more and atmosphear better. He doesn''t even go now. Stopped going at the end of the chase era.Wonder how many fans we really could have now with a deasant stadium and a team that could compete in the premiership?? Hmm we can only dream i guesse!

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP."]

43000 against leicester. I was there.[:D]

[/quote]

So was I. Was it you wellie I p***ed in Arthur?[;)]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP."]

[/quote]

[/quote]Me too. They moved us into the enclosure from the River end and then on to the track beside the pitch.

Ah well, only another 43961 to find............

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL the old warm leg, something thankfully all seater stadia has confined to the history books, along with cups of bovril filled with pee and thrown over the away fence behind the Barclay.

[quote user="JF"]43964 in 1963 so says wiki![/quote]

It was actually 43,984 JF. I was also there. A wonderful electric atmosphere. A good game which we lost 2-0. Leicester were a good team that season, finishing fourth in the top division.

[quote user="It"]He not lieing then! yea i always thought he exaggerating as the was standing n he was younge so seemed like more and atmosphear better. He doesn''t even go now. Stopped going at the end of the chase era.Wonder how many fans we really could have now with a deasant stadium and a team that could compete in the premiership?? Hmm we can only dream i guesse![/quote]F*ck me, reading that was hard work

This is going to get like the 3m people who later claimed they were at Woodstock, but count me in too. Memory getting very hazy, but both goals at the Barclay End, I think.Of course, the real question is how many of the Purists were there...

That Leicester attendance may never be beaten - even if we have a stadium big enough to accomodate all those people again one day. But I think you''ll find the average gate for that season was not much better than what we''ve seen in recent years. Attendances fluctuated to a far greater extent from match to match back in those days. The crowd could swing from as little as 10,000 up to over 30,000 fans.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]This is going to get like the 3m people who later claimed they were at Woodstock, but count me in too. Memory getting very hazy, but both goals at the Barclay End, I think.

Of course, the real question is how many of the Purists were there...[/quote]Just to refresh your memory PC, City had a penalty at the Barclay end with about ten minutes left which Alcock blasted over the bar. The great Gordon Banks was in goal for Leicester.

More proper fans yes.....

Listen to your dad son ........ he sounds like he knows what he''s talking about.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]This is going to get like the 3m people who later claimed they were at Woodstock, but count me in too. Memory getting very hazy, but both goals at the Barclay End, I think.Of course, the real question is how many of the Purists were there...[/quote]Just to refresh your memory PC, City had a penalty at the Barclay end with about ten minutes left which Alcock blasted over the bar. The great Gordon Banks was in goal for Leicester.[/quote]Thanks, lappinitup, I had forgotten about the missed penalty. You sure, though, it was at the Barclay End? I wonder because both Leicester''s goals came in the second half and were - I am pretty sure - at that end. I was wedged in there, having been moved from my usual haunt at the back of the South Stand.From very vague memory one of the goals was either scored by Mike Stringfellow or David Gibson (I said it was vague!!!). For once Wiki seems no help. Both good players, anyway. Apart from Banks they had a young Frank McClintock as well. What I do definitely remember is that we were outplayed. No complaints about the result.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="It"]He not lieing then! yea i always thought he exaggerating as the was standing n he was younge so seemed like more and atmosphear better. He doesn''t even go now. Stopped going at the end of the chase era.Wonder how many fans we really could have now with a deasant stadium and a team that could compete in the premiership?? Hmm we can only dream i guesse![/quote]

F*ck me, reading that was hard work
[/quote]

He he he he.......

I felt strangely compelled to read through to the end it though ........

Sorry to disappoint you... but yes I was.

However...I fear some serious "Googling" is going on by others right now in order to be able to say the same though .........

I was there. In those days the Owls played in a blue version of the Arsenal shirt. We had high hopes of another cup upset but it was a bit of a disppointing game as they beat us comfortably in terms of never really looking like they''d lose.

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP."]

[/quote]

Me too Arthur, and thats what ''On the ball City'' SHOULD sound like eh?

i was there as well about 10 years old the sheffield supporters were in the south stand jammed up against the gate that used to let them into the river end

tommy bryceland scored for us was this the game after we beat man u 2 1 still like to now the attendance

my first game was palace i think it was 72/73 fair crowd then but different accounts put it between 34 and 43000 all I know is I was Eight years Old got in the south stand at 7.15 and couldn''t get in, was hoisted on top of peoples heads and passed down to the front, had no idea where me dad was and was terrified, very emabarrasing i was the only one not to have a flat cap to throw in the air, off to bed now, drunk, nite

[quote user="crafty canary"]I was there. In those days the Owls played in a blue version of the Arsenal shirt. We had high hopes of another cup upset but it was a bit of a disppointing game as they beat us comfortably in terms of never really looking like they''d lose.[/quote]

I was there too Crafty, it was my first ever Norwich game.

What is interesting about the highest attendances at Carrow Road is that I believe the top ten or so were all FA cup games. And even more surprisingly the top 6 don''t include any games from the ''59 cup run where it seems all attendances were recorded as 38,000.

As I''m only a comparative youngster maybe some of the older fans could explain this to me...

Lapp................

Butler.....

[;)]

[quote user="foggo7"]my first game was palace i think it was 72/73 fair crowd then but different accounts put it between 34 and 43000 all I know is I was Eight years Old got in the south stand at 7.15 and couldn''t get in, was hoisted on top of peoples heads and passed down to the front, had no idea where me dad was and was terrified, very emabarrasing i was the only one not to have a flat cap to throw in the air, off to bed now, drunk, nite
[/quote]

Was at that game too Foggo, over 36,000 and it was our biggest ever league attendance. But still well short of the top ten FA Cup gates.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="crafty canary"]I was there. In those days the Owls played in a blue version of the Arsenal shirt. We had high hopes of another cup upset but it was a bit of a disppointing game as they beat us comfortably in terms of never really looking like they''d lose.[/quote]

I was there too Crafty, it was my first ever Norwich game.

What is interesting about the highest attendances at Carrow Road is that I believe the top ten or so were all FA cup games. And even more surprisingly the top 6 don''t include any games from the ''59 cup run where it seems all attendances were recorded as 38,000.

As I''m only a comparative youngster maybe some of the older fans could explain this to me...

Lapp................

Butler.....

[;)]

[/quote]

Nutty I can''t find hard evidence but I am sure a crowd of 43000 got mentioned at some time.

They were less strict on tickets and "friends" then as you stood so no accurate count was ever made.

Sometimes the back doors got opened cough cough.

It sure as hell felt like sardines at some of those games.

Demand exceeded supply always

i know it is not carrow road but we did do a gate against someone at the old nest with 49.000

somone may know a little more woulde''t that be great if we every increased carrow road