Sign in to follow this  
Simon Lappin, King Of Spain

Norwich City 3-2 Wigan Athletic FT

We''ve had a fantastic pre season my hat goes off to Gunn he certainly has proven me wrong so far!

Now lets hope the bubble doesn''t burst to soon and we get a good run going in the league

what a wonderful result! we seem to have a winning mentallity at the moment, lets hope we get off the bus running at Colchester and never look back. Well done Bryan, and well done lads! OTBC

It''s easy to overstate these things, Wigan made eight changes at half time but a premiership team is a premiership team. We looked solid but not spectacular against a very average Palace side on tuesday but sounds like today we added some flair to our play and it paid off. I guess it was to be expected that with the talent in the Wigan side we were going to leak goals but it looks like we''ve also got the ability to hit back and score plenty ourselves. Maybe it will be a return to the days of the eighties and early nineties when we just went hell for leather trying to score goals and consequences be dammned, if they score 4 we''ll score 5.

I am becoming far too optimistic somebody please pinch me very hard!!!!!!

[quote user="Rum ol boy"]what a wonderful result! we seem to have a winning mentallity at the moment, lets hope we get off the bus running at Colchester and never look back. Well done Bryan, and well done lads! OTBC[/quote]

Aren''t we at home???

[quote user="Rum ol boy"]what a wonderful result! we seem to have a winning mentallity at the moment, lets hope we get off the bus running at Colchester and never look back. Well done Bryan, and well done lads! OTBC[/quote]

You''ve got to hand it to him for the squad he''s built, I know it''s not proven anything yet, but the evidence is there to suggest that this is a team with a lot of potential. The reporter on SSN said that we thouroughly deserved the win and that the rest of the league should sit up take note as we look like a very dangerous side.

I think that is about right! Semmy was man of the match for both his attacking and defending! Gunn seems to have rejuvenated existing players and brought in a host of excellent new players! OTBC!

WOW!!!

This is awesome stuff, can''t help but feel good about this season.

Who got our 3rd by the way??

I know Martin got the first two.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I think that is about right! Semmy was man of the match for both his attacking and defending! Gunn seems to have rejuvenated existing players and brought in a host of excellent new players! OTBC![/quote]

I haven''t seen much of him this preseason just 20 minutes vs Palace and about 50 vs Dartford and 90 vs Man Utd IX but at palace in particular he was impressive came on and really put 100% into defence and attack. I am still a little dubious about him after last season and would hesitate to say that he''s been rejuvinated but he certainly looks much more confident. Whatis comforting is that if he does mess up Spillane looks like a very good replacement. Gunn has got some serious thinking to do before next saturday, there are very few players whose name''s are definitely going to be on the team sheet. A very refreshing change to have genuine competition for places, I honestly cannot remember when the last time when that was been the case.

[quote user="Lambo"]WOW!!! This is awesome stuff, can''t help but feel good about this season. Who got our 3rd by the way?? I know Martin got the first two.[/quote]

Whaley with an assist from Hoolahoop, great to see we''ve got a midfielder with the potential to score goals regularly.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I think Whaley will make Croft look very one-dimensional this season![/quote]

From what i''ve seen he doesn''t look like the kind of player who will hug the touchline, much more inclined to cut in and support the strikers. No bad thing, especially if we have a decent right back on the overlap. Hopefully Semmy can oblige by maintaining his present form.

Can anyone on this board honestly imagine last year''s dross playing like that and getting that result?

Yes, it''s only a friendly, and totally different to a competitive match but I think we can assume that Wigan would have been trying not to get beaten this arvo [:)] Anyhoo, I''m getting properly excited about next Saturday in spite of myself! [:D]

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I think Whaley will make Croft look very one-dimensional this season![/quote]

Croft was overated. Whaley sounds a lot better. Great result today. Feeling positive for next saturday.

The thing that''s made me positive after today is that Wigan came into this game fresh of thrshing Preston 4-1, i genuinely feared we''d be going the same way.

This might come back to bite me on the bum, but personally I cannot wait for the season to start. I have my ticket, and am able to make a rare appearance at FCR, we need to kick on now and make this pre season count.

[quote user="Fonejacker"]This might come back to bite me on the bum, but personally I cannot wait for the season to start. I have my ticket, and am able to make a rare appearance at FCR, we need to kick on now and make this pre season count.
[/quote]

I''ve been looking forward to it for a long time but now it seems like we genuinely have good reason to expect this team to win games week in week out. Can''t get to a game ''til Brentford away but hoping we''ll sell out the full allocation and recreate the atmosphere of QPR or Brum away from last season. Really looking forward to standing on some genuine terraces for the first time in my life!!!!!

just bak from the game i was a good solid performance i was impressed with simon whalley looks a good player with the ability to get decent crosses in.roll on next saturday 

Well the lads did good that''s for sure, beating a prem team quite comfortably. 

Let''s hope they carry on the good form shown in pre-season, looking forward a little more to next weekend, meeting the usual crowd and seeing the new look team in action.

Well done team Gunn, so far so good.

Now they need to do what matters and that''s win matches and put points on the table, and make CR a fortress once again.

Always tricky to know how much you can take from a friendly but it was a pretty good performance from our lads, although you could tell Wigan weren''t quite at top level despite a strong side.

I liked the look of OTJ, looked very impressive. Hughes was very neat and tidy with the ball. Whaley did well, doesn''t look a better crosser than Croft but could score more goals. All 3 looked like they were there for the cause. As did Gill.

Thought Holt battled well against Bramble and Sharner but probably had too much work to do by himself up there.

Wasn''t quite so keen on Theo in goal. Didn''t have a lot to do but he didn''t seem to have much presence, went missing on balls into the box and seemed slightly slow to react.

Obviously Chris Martin took his goals well and that''ll probably give him a good chance of starting next weekend. Didn''t think much of Spillane, backup bench player, too weak defensively and miles away from being as good a fullback as Semmy (when Semmy turns in that kind of performance).

And as for Wes Hoolahan...what a player. Just brilliant. Didn''t take Wigan long to realise it either.

what a f**king amazing game,4 of the best city goals i''ve seen for a long, long time in the last 2 games.

We are actually invincebile a word i haven''t used in so long I forgot how to spell it. Just back from the game though, though OTJ lookreally solid, hard in the tackle and made good use of the ball with good vision. Hoolahan ran the show, including being at fault for wigans first goal, but his 1st time ball to whaley for the final goal was telepathic. Semmy, changed player, defend well and linked up brilliantly with whaley. Martin, looks like a deadly finisher, work hard and nearly had a hatrick but for a lucky ricichae. Holt  worked hard, didn''t seem to get the run of the ball but held it up here and there and got a few nice flick ons, but is understandable for a player who has only just linked up with the side. Hughes again looked solid and used the ball fairly well, did get caught once but recovered. Whaley looked very good completed about 7/10 crosses so not bad rate, also grabbed a decent goal, althouh did take a nick of the post. 

In the second half Adeyemi looked really good, strong and athletic with a nice touch, could be a nice surprise for the rest of our season. Gill didn''t put a foot wrong and Cody looked like a hard worker, and put himself about a bit, shame he had no goal scoring oppertunities.

Thorughly looking forward to next season, bring on Colly U. 

Wes knows what to expect from this league from his Blackpool days, he''ll be fine.

Otsemobor was actually really good for once, he got forward regularly and never got out of position defensively. He did very very well for the first goal, good strength and pace, then a brilliant cross