Sign in to follow this  
Hog

An outrage!

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]apart from the in-breeding bit[/quote]

Hang on a bit, my sister/wife/girlfriend**** may have something to say about that!

(*** delete where applicable)

It''s because a Labour-supporting paper/journalist knows its backing a loser for the next 10 years!

As said, rise above it...though it''s sad that in this day and age of political correctness you can get away with passing a slur on your own countrymen!

I would agree rise above it, if it is who I think McGovern is a Scouser betting expert who is often on five live. Now we all know how well scouses laugh off such comments on the city of Liverpool!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]I trust any jokes about people from Suffolk from now on will be seriously frowned upon, then.[/quote]

It''s a far cry having that kind of thing on a forum - publishing it on the official site of a national newspaper is something entirely different.

Derek McGivern knows about as much about sport as a dead Spider...

a few years back he did an article on sports betting and said, quite specifically, "don''t bet on American Football as the bookies never lose on it"

If thats the case then how come i won £40 when the Colts won the superbowl the other year.... i bet on them as playoff outsiders too... something to do with knowing the game and following their results against the other sides in the playoffs that season...

Perhaps McGovern shouldnt bet.. because he knows bugger all about it.. anyone ever made anything off his tips?

jas :)

....... I trust any jokes about people from Suffolk from now on will be seriously frowned upon, then.....

Well why not? What would have been the reaction had this been written about Pakistanis in Bradford?

We always seem to be full of double standards. Personally I couldn''t give a toss it will float over my head ........ I just wish other sections of modern Britain would treat something like this the same way!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]We always seem to be full of double standards.[/quote]

Summed up in a nutshell. Had he been talking about any other area of the country no-one here would be bothered but as it''s about Norfolk, well, it''s time to get the ol'' pitchforks out. Had he written the same thing about Suffolk everyone here would be having a good laugh about it, whether it''s in a national newspaper or not.

RobGraham wrote:

Hahahahaha! Congratulations to The Mirror for a wonderful, insightful piece of journalism. A sure-fire nominee for the next Pulitzer Prize! How to ruin your own publication''s alleged integrity in a few wholly disagreeable and unprofessional sentences...

I wonder if Mr Mcgovern and his little lackey Mr Shaw made any enquiries about how many copies the vacuous rag they work for sells in Norfolk, and therefore what percentage of their wages are paid for by the large number of readers they''ve now made libellous comments about.

I''m not suprised however to read this, The Mirror being a media portal only outdone in scum factor by The Sun, more akin to a comic for backwards, uneducated morons than a newspaper; moreover the fact that in this ''article'' Mr Mcgovern seems unsure whether to hold to his ''everyone in Norfolk is inbred'' tack or retract it only underlines how asinine The Mirror and its writers are. I''ve seen better written reports done by my 7 year-old.

For the record, I am not from Norfolk, nor do I have any family connections to Norfolk, so I''m not being directly offended here.

I do however have (non-business) connections to the football club, which, even in it''s most hopeless moments last year, still held more value and virtue than the above piece of worthless, flatulent, speculative and at best, puerile, uninformed guff.

Rob Graham, 42, Chelmsford.

GET THIS MAN A DRINK!!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]We always seem to be full of double standards.[/quote]

Summed up in a nutshell. Had he been talking about any other area of the country no-one here would be bothered but as it''s about Norfolk, well, it''s time to get the ol'' pitchforks out. Had he written the same thing about Suffolk everyone here would be having a good laugh about it, whether it''s in a national newspaper or not.

[/quote]

No mate, it''s pretty revolting WHOEVER it''s aimed at.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]So everyone here would be up in arms if the article was focusing on Ipswich would they?[/quote]

I imagine that everyone in Ipswich would be [:)]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]So everyone here would be up in arms if the article was focusing on Ipswich would they?[/quote]

It doesn''t really matter WHO it''s directed at, the fact is, it''s irresponsible journalism.

Or is it just something that was clearly written with tongue lodged firmly in cheek, and was actually mildly amusing, if not exactly winning awards for originality?

All it illustrates is modern humour has been brought down to the lowest common denominator it is either swearing or in this case cheap and nasty stereotypes.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Or is it just something that was clearly written with tongue lodged firmly in cheek, and was actually mildly amusing, if not exactly winning awards for originality?[/quote]

Why are you defending the scumbag?

Oh, I don''t disagree with that point at all. But really, in both cases, so what? It''s a newspaper column, a very brief one. No-one''s died, or got hurt. Life somehow goes on.