Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Dereham Town 1, Norwich City XI 1

as an impartial observer, Powell looked decent - he got poor service but he was physically up for it and actually made an effort, i think if he continues to develop then he''d cause some bother up front. people are too quick to judge young players on what they can do right now, rather than on aspects such as work rate and positioning. Powell got himself in some good areas (indicating he has a decent footballing brain) and ran up and down a lot. he certainly showed more than most of the kids out there, who had a tough time of it against some seasoned cloggers who were clearly up for it.

[quote user="ncfclad"]Powell was poor and couldnt hack it and McVeigh wasnt great but has played well in his other games. Kelly isnt a striker, he is a defender by trade but for some reason we keep playing him up front. The Cypriot guy should some good touches and Dawkin played well when he came on. But the best player by far on the pitch was Mtandari and I would give him a year for sure. Kept winning tackles, taking on players with trickery and pace and made a couple of good blocks.[/quote]

A former England defender got one of them right then.[;)]

You obviously want someone to ask you who the defender was who gave the match report, so i''ll give in, Cam who was it?

[quote user="Big Bob"]You obviously want someone to ask you who the defender was who gave the match report, so i''ll give in, Cam who was it?
[/quote]

No I don''t and I won''t but I thought his comments about Francomb were interesting.  Saved you two goals against, apparently.

It was Peter Shilton, I saw somewhere that he was there. He is obviously cams potential observer.

[quote user="ncfclad"]It was Peter Shilton, I saw somewhere that he was there. He is obviously cams potential observer.[/quote]Because Peter Shilton is obviously an ex England defender?

I am confused by this whole thread.................

There are so many conflicting reports............

The EDP reporter said McVeigh was slick and he and Adeyemi were the pick of the first half.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/sport/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED22%20Jul%202009%2019%3A55%3A06%3A563

Yet others on here said they were rubbish...........

Basically tonight it was a team of players who had never played together before.........

The whole point of these trial games is to get a look at a few players and give some of the young players some minutes.

Its also cool that we give something back to local clubs like Dereham

[quote user="USAcanary"]

I am confused by this whole thread.................

There are so many conflicting reports............

The EDP reporter said McVeigh was slick and he and Adeyemi were the pick of the first half.

Yet others on here said they were rubbish...........

[/quote]

As someone who was there and who has already posted on this thread I''ll try and explain myself. I''m not somebody who routinely slags off every aspect of the club so I hope you''ll accept my reasonably mild criticism. I kept it short last night as, if I''m honest, I was struggling to put names to numbers having not watched much Acadamy/Reserve football.

As I posted last night, McVeigh has a wonderful first touch and the ability to worm his way out of tight little spots and keep possesion. They are big plus points, especially as Ian Crook spent most of the game bellowing ''KEEP THE BALL. KEEP THE BALL. KEEP THE BALL!" at the kids. The criticism of his weight on here is unfounded as far as I''m concerned as he looked in pretty good shape. However, in my opinion he lacks the drive and the attacking threat that we really need to add to our midfield. In 45mins against Dereham Town he created nothing of real note for the strikers which I find pretty concerning. Some nice touches, you may even describe them as ''slick'', but a real lack of end product. Assuming we''re not paying him a great deal I''m not overly concerned with him signing but I wouldn''t expect him to be starting too many games.

I wasn''t overly impressed with Adeyemi last night but I''ve seen him a couple of times in the past when he''s played a lot better. A midfielder who can break past the attackers and stretch the game is something we''ve missed since Francis left really. He could eventually be that player and I''d certainly give him a run out in the cups this season and if he impresses look to keep him in the first team squad.

Of the trialists, I wasn''t that impressed with Powell although as somebody has already pointed out he didn''t receive much service. He seemed to take up much better positions than Kelly, who didn''t look like a striker at all, but failed to link the play all that convincingly. Maybe if he bulks up a bit he could become a decent target man but he looked a bit gangly and was too easily moved off the ball to fulfil that role at present. Crysantho impressed me, in the second half particularly, and tried to link the play from midfield and get the ball moving about.

Dumic at the back is built like an ox and if Ian Butterworth can can improve him positionally he could eventually be a decent centre back although he''d need to play alongside someone with real pace. Aaron Lee-Barrett looked very shaky between the posts and probably should have done better with the goal.

As an aside it was quite annoying that the teams we''re not read out before the game. There are still a few players I can''t realy comment on as I''m not sure who they were. I spent most of the first half with my mates excitedly trying to work out who the Brazillian trialist was only to see on here today that he was taken off after 20 minutes [:D]. All in all I didn''t really see much to convince me that any of the players out there were ready for regular first team football, but maybe I''m expecting too much [:^)]

I was at the game and I have to say I would agree more with Shack Attacks comments than some of the others on here. I agree with Cam''s friends comments about Francomb though and his positional play was first class for someone so young.

I do have a few points:

1) It was obvious some of the players had been thrown together, the keeper didn''t even know the name of the sub who came on after about 20 minutes and had to ask Dario Dumic.

2) For someone who apparently "ran the midfield" against one of the Scottish teams Tom Adeyemi didn''t look all that good, I would put this down to the fact that he was closed down very quickly by the Dereham midfielders in the first half and would have liked to see him stay on for the whole 90 minutes and show his class later on in the game.

3) Dario Dumic may be big and strong but he has a lot to do on his ball work, I found it very annoying when he was dropping deep to get short goal kicks off the keeper (he may have been told to do this) on the edge of his 18 yard box, then cacking himself and giving it straight back to the keeper to hoof out. Dumic also played a few long balls which didn''t really seem to be very calculated. Like Shack Attack said, if these players are expected to be pushing for first team spots or immediate back up to first teamers then I would be slightly worried on tonights performance.

4) Troy Powell, Crysantho and Mtdantari were all decent and looked like they would work hard, I think if they are all willing to take 1 year deals and play alongside the likes of Steer, Adeyemi and Dumic in the reserves and push for the subs bench (now we can use 7 subs remember) then they would be worth a year each to see how they develop.

5) If we sign that keeper then I would not be impressed, not with Rudd and Steer so promising.

Now, I have only seen the one game from these lads (although I did see Adeyemi, Dumic etc in a few games last season) so it is difficult to make a decent judgement but thats my views. Like another poster said Dereham are a good young team, they beat Lowestoft 7-2 in a friendly and only lost 2-0 to Histon, plus the majority of their boys have been playing together for a while now.