Sign in to follow this  
Barclay hero

What went wrong with Norwich City - a NEW conspiracy theory

I think the whole Delia/MWJ/Doomcaster etc thing has been done pretty much to death, and whilst I think everyone knows theyve cocked things up (and theyre not the first Norwich board to do this) I have a different theory on why we''re not as successful as we once were

Its purely this....Norwich - and Carrow Road in particular - is too nice. Its pleasant to come to. Other supporters and other teams enjoy our city, the ground and its surroundings and play well

When we were at our best, Carrow Road was surrounded by wasteland. Where Riverside pool now stands there were advertising hoardings, and these ran along the line of where Carrow Road now runs. Behind them was wasteland - a foul, diseased bit of ground full of chemicals that people parked on when Norwich played at home (and later became a Park & Ride). Sharing this wasteland was a prefab tyre warehouse and a few tram tracks. Round the corner was the Ferryboat pub, a load of prossies and a derelict flour factory. The other way was the Clarence Harbour pub and more wasteground. Not very inviting - and it intimidated other teams. They thought they were coming to a real sh1thole and did yucky brown stuff in their shorts

Now we''ve got wide open spaces. Weve got pubs and clubs and lots of trendy apartments. The old diseased ground has been tarmacced and turned into a Morrisons and a Swimming pool. Theyve even done the station up a bit.

Its just not Norwich it affects. Whilst visiting relatives in Scotland a few weeks ago I went past the Hearts ground. Its in a really dodgy area - the local pubs look like the kind that you really DONT want to visit unless youre over the limit and ready for a fight. Low railway bridges. Boarded up shops. Where did Hearts finish in their league? 3rd

Look at Arsenal...Southampton...Millwall....Wimbledon. Shiny new grounds (or shiny new groundshares for Wimbledon) and they havent done anything since. Arsenal havent even been near to winning the league since moving to the Emirates, Millwall moved to the New Den and fell from the top flight to Div 3 as did Southampton when they moved to St Marys. Wimbledon moved from Plough Lane and lost the whole ethos

Solution - we need to scare people again. Make them not want to come to Norwich or if they have to then make them want to leave as quickly as they can. I''d suggest we pick up the whole ground and dump it near Anglia Square - and let the good times roll

lol

There''s probably some truth in that. Psycological factors do come into play and if you feel at ease you are bound to play better.

Good theory........I think!  I can see what you mean though although Highbury was ok and Emirates is only a stones through from where Highbury was!

I could think of worse places in Norwich to put it before Anglia Square although I won''t say as I don''t want to offend those that live there!

Exactly. Maybe we ought to play Delia as our new ''small'' striker - lets face it, she scares the cr@p out of the likes of Loan City and Smudger, so maybe she''ll have the same effect on Millwall....

[quote user="Barclay hero"]Exactly. Maybe we ought to play Delia as our new ''small'' striker - lets face it, she scares the cr@p out of the likes of Loan City and Smudger, so maybe she''ll have the same effect on Millwall....[/quote] Scares me ? no not at all i think shes an alchoholic old woman who would rather see the club fold than let anybody else own it .

hahautter bollocks, when you consider that the opposing team''s bus pulls right up outside the front door, the players then pile off straight into the ground, which is all lovely inside of course, and they probably never got a sniff of the wasteland surrounding the ground.

true .

i recall a long trip to barnsley a few years ago it was a long drive .

when i got there i thought to myself what a poor ground it was like it was set in some form of wasteland .

barnsley went down to ten men and norwich were very poor against a team that we should have beaten without a problem.

you just felt the vibe and thought "we wont win here " guess what i think it was one of the worst city games i have seen .!!!

One thing that struck me as summing up a "push over" style of management was the Summer after we were relegated from the Premier League, Francis buggers off to Wigan - as it was closer to London right?

As we had him on a long term contract at the time, we could have sent a message to him and anyone else wanting a free ride on the club by telling him he could go play in the reserves until his attitude changed.

Hmm. On the basis of this theory we should never have moved from The Nest. Difficult (although I''m sure someone will find a way) to blame that decision on Delia...

Sorry mate but the too nice idea has been done before... It''s that obvious that even Peter Grant & Glenn Roeder noticed it... NOW THAT''S OBVIOUS.

As far as the rest of your post goes I think your talking s***e. We are rubbish because we have employed crap managers who have bought crap players... End of chat.

Hearts are 3rd because the SPL is a**e and Milwall & Southampton were recently in an FA cup final.

I think you will find most Cities have undergone some sort of regeneration since the early 90''s so to say that the Riverside development has anything to do with ours is one of the most ludicrous things I''ve read on the internet... and believe me you are up against some mighty stiff competition.

If your theory was true Chelsea would not be living up to the 80s, Leeds would be OK and Birmingham would be European champions.

[quote user="Yellow Rose of Texas"]One thing that struck me as summing up a "push over" style of management was the Summer after we were relegated from the Premier League, Francis buggers off to Wigan - as it was closer to London right? As we had him on a long term contract at the time, we could have sent a message to him and anyone else wanting a free ride on the club by telling him he could go play in the reserves until his attitude changed.[/quote]

One thing that struck me even more than that was a large number of fans (i would say it was 50/50) actually cheered and applauded Francis when he came on in the Inter Milan friendly, after he`d basically told the club to go **** itself.

I think the OP was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but we`ve had twelve years of this little`ol norwich friendly family club/ wonderful facilities/ lovely people to deal with etc. and where has it got us?  Dion Dublin twice came out and warned that the whole ethos of the club was "too nice" but i don`t think too many heeded the warning.

[quote user="Steve H"]

Sorry mate but the too nice idea has been done before... It''s that obvious that even Peter Grant & Glenn Roeder noticed it... NOW THAT''S OBVIOUS.

As far as the rest of your post goes I think your talking s***e. We are rubbish because we have employed crap managers who have bought crap players... End of chat.

Hearts are 3rd because the SPL is a**e and Milwall & Southampton were recently in an FA cup final.

I think you will find most Cities have undergone some sort of regeneration since the early 90''s so to say that the Riverside development has anything to do with ours is one of the most ludicrous things I''ve read on the internet... and believe me you are up against some mighty stiff competition.

[/quote]

I think you need to look up satire, mate!

But as things are after yet another dismal away performance we can leave most away grounds and think ''crikey, at least we don''t live here''!

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]

Good theory........I think!  I can see what you mean though although Highbury was ok and Emirates is only a stones through from where Highbury was!

I could think of worse places in Norwich to put it before Anglia Square although I won''t say as I don''t want to offend those that live there!

[/quote]

What like that dump Larkman and North Earlham

[/quote]

[/quote]