Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Worthington gets tough and wields the axe!!!

At last!

Nigel has come out publically and stated that although Liverpool were outstanding this weekend, they were given far too much space and were ''given'' the ball far too often.

He has said changes WILL be made for next Saturday''s home match against Portsmouth and has criticized certain players from Saturday''s game (not publically naming them) for their performance.

He said this morning that hard work would feature in training this week and he will see just who wants to play Saturday.

I think we will be seeing a new look Norwich City this week. Well done Nigel!!!

But is it really the just the players who are struggling to compete at this level? Todays comments shows Worthy knows only too well that if in next month''s games his players don''t perform, then it''s he who will get the axe before too long.

I do worry about Worthington sometimes. Everyone at the Bristol Rovers match saw what a shambles the team was by playing in that diamond formation.

Holt, as a left winger desperately trying (& failing) to put in crosses. Francis, unsure what his job was on the right of midfield. Safri passing it around neatly, but without proper wide men making runs for him to find, playing him is utterly pointless. Doc looking like a defender up front - anyone could have scored that one-on-one yet he missed. Meanwhile Hucks looks on wondering what he has done to deserve this.

So great idea to play the same line-up & formation away against one of the best teams in the Premiership. Great management there Worthington. Ok, I expected us to lose against the teams we have done. But now our season really begins and we will be asking "Is Worthington a good enough manager to keep us up?".

I hope he is.

Based on Worthy''s comments, it looks like the team might be:

Green

Helveg
Charlton
Fleming
Drury

McVeigh/Jonson
Francis
Holt/Safri
Bentley

McKenzie
Huckerby

Also, not to dissuade any of the attack-minded people out there but I think the chances of Worthy starting ANY match this season with a true 4-3-3 formation is next to none. Premiership sides just don''t do that -- and even if they did, we won''t. Maybe during a game we will switch when playing catch up -- but not from the start.

Sad but true on the 433, and I agree with your prediction on the team, but it will be McVeigh and Holt (I''ma afraid) out of the 2 option based positions you suggested: having watched every game this season though I''d go for Jonson and Safri but then I''m only a fan!

Brilliant Pyro Pete!  The going gets tough so let''s question the manager''s ability. 

I tell you what, if he were to go, I can think of a couple of huge jobs he''d walk straight into at Leeds United and Sheffield Wednesday (not to mention the likes of West Ham, Leicester City or even Man City).

Worthington struggling at this level?   I''m constantly amazed at how WELL he''s coping at this level since dragging the club back into the big-time.  Worthington''s done a fantastic job - end of story.   Just exactly how many points did you expect us to gather during our opening 7 games? 

We couldn''t have had a harder start, yet despite going in at HT a couple of goals down against Man U, Newcastle and Arsenal, Worthy''s totally turned things round for the 2nd-half (be it tactically, or motivation-wise) and we''ve put the squeeze on some of the best clubs in Europe!

Obviously, you can argue that Worthington should have got his tactics right from the kick-off, but this is his first season managing in the Premiership and so naturally he''s learning as he goes along. The great news from our perspective is that he''s got the footballing brain to recognise where he''s gone wrong and adjust things accordingly for the 2nd half. Man City fans would kill for someone with that kind of tactical awareness..

Personally, I''ll be happy if I never seen another diamond formation again (as would the players I suspect - I agree there have been times when the midfield hasn''t looked like they know what''s expected from them) but Worthington''s the manager and it''s his job to make those kind of decisions and I''m happy he''s picking the team, whatever formation he thinks is best...

As far as I''m concerned, Worthington''s the man.

Great post Leedsyellow - I agree with nearly all you''ve said however, I would like to see us play the way we all know we can from the first whistle, and on that front I think maybe Worthy can be called into question a little bit. Whether the reason we don''t start games well be tactical or motivational some of the blame has to fall on Worthy. Also, I think his "got to have a big target man up front" attitude is patheticly naive, none of the best sides play like this and as the late great Brian Clough once said "If football was meant to be played in the sky, God would have put grass there" hopefully Worthy will see sense this weekend and pair Leon and Hucks up front, well I for one hope he does anyway...

i didnt see a 3-0 defeat coming but i saw that the team NW was playing would just not be good enough. This should be great news for the team

Helveg  Charlton  Fleming  Drury

Bentley Francis Safri  Huckerby

McKenzie  Jonson

Subs:

Svensson, Holt, McVeigh, Doherty, Edworthy

(i have already put this in another thread but i felt it was appropriate, I feel a keeper should be on the bench, maybe replace Svensson or Doc)

[quote]Brilliant Pyro Pete! The going gets tough so let''s question the manager''s ability. I tell you what, if he were to go, I can think of a couple of huge jobs he''d walk straight into at Leeds Unite...[/quote]

Hi Leeds Yellow !,

If you have only just entered the Forum I can bring you up to date, we now have a little trickle of mindless" Nigel Out ", "Delia out "  offerings being filtered into some posts, I just hope it doesn''t get any worse. It''s not the view of the majority.

Your post spot on, Worthy is the man !, don''t let them put you off.

Don''t be so melodramatic Gorleston Jim. I certainly have not called for Worthington''s head. Apart from the Palace game, I think Worthy has done well results-wise. But as a fan I do have the right to question the manager, players, and the board. I shall be asking myself some thoroughly searching questions later on believe you me.Leeds Yellow said "Brilliant Pyro Pete! The going gets tough so let''s question the manager''s ability"Well, my point is simply that if Worthington and us fans can question the players'' ability - and we have - then it''s perfectly reasonable for us to question the manager''s ability as well. That''s all. There is nothing "mindless" in questioning tactics, team selection and our lack of a second decent striker. That''s what fans who care about their club do. I am looking for Worthington and the players to succeed. But he needs to learn quickly from his mistakes if we are to survive in this league.

Yes but my point is Pete, that whilst we need to start picking up points, I''m amazed that you''re questioning NW''s ability!

He''s led and managed a group of pretty ordinary players into one of the best leagues in the world - not only that, but he''s got largely those same ordinary players playing some decent football against some of the best teams around!  Surely that''s success?  (Yes of course we want to survive this season, but if we don''t, then it''s important that we''ve got the right mix of people to ensure we get back up there again!)

Worthy''s doing a fantastic job - Yes, I was frustrated by the tactics on Saturday (not least Holt trying to play right-mid!) but we were playing a world-class team, and as I said before, Worthington''s learning... I''m certainly not saying he''s the finished article.

And there''ll be other results like that this season; no question. 

But back to your point, it seems as though you''ve raised your expectations BECAUSE of Nigel''s ability - a couple of decent performances and suddenly we''re expected to go to Anfield and get a result.. 

Let''s be realistic about what we expect from Worthington, the players and the board...  Personally, I''m happy as a pig in sh*t! 

Gorleston Jim:  Cheers for your words; albiet that I''m not particularly new to the forum, it''s just that a couple of posts have got me out of my chair lately!