Sign in to follow this  
Canary_on_the Trent

Holt in talks with Norwich City

Shrewsbury Town striker Grant Holt is on the verge of signing for Norwich City, BBC Radio Shropshire understands.

Holt joined Shrewsbury last summer from Nottingham Forest for a club record transfer fee of £170,000.

The 28-year-old was not at the Prostar stadium for Town''s 2-0 defeat against West Bromwich Albion in their pre-season friendly on Wednesday.

It is believed the forward is finalising a deal with the League One club at Carrow Road.

Holt signed a three-year contract after making the move from the City Ground and scored 28 goals for Shrewsbury last season.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Isn''t he injured?........or has that cleared up now?[/quote]

Injured like Ashton when he left us.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Isn''t he injured?........or has that cleared up now?[/quote]

He had an op on his ankle but had resumed training there

He has had surgery but was due to make a comeback in last night''s game (confirmed to Cam by Shrewsbury''s press officer yesterday afternoon), but was then mysteriously withdrawn.

Yes this boy had a great season last year however he didn''t set the world alight at Notts Forest in League 1 so why would it be differant here ? Anything around 500k is a lot on a guy whose had one good season

Grant has had a few good seasons now, Used in midfield sometimes for Forest. I really think if we get this guy in, we will have a very good chance this year. If you get him Gunn then I say well done ANOTHER good bit of business. God im starting to feel pride in being a NCFC fan coming back. On the ball City.

[quote user="Soldier on"]isnt there a salary cap in league 2.  Has cam heard any more on this he said derby earlier\??[/quote]

No real news from Shrewsbury.  Press officer hasn''t been told anything and they normally keep him in the loop - nothing on their official message board either.  Press officer did say this morning that he''d had calls about Derby being interested but he simply does not know.   There is a salary cap in total,  not for one particular player - Bishop, for example, is supposedly on £100k which probably makes him the highest paid player in League Two.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Well their fans on  MAD are saying its Notts County![/quote][url=http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=469&fid=223&sty=2&act=1&mid=2125346013]http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=469&fid=223&sty=2&act=1&mid=2125346013[/url]It''s an old thread and looks like all the posts are by over-optimistic Notts County fans.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Well their fans on  MAD are saying its Notts County![/quote]

Hmmm, what am I leaning towards? The BBC and Archant or a Notts County fan that supposedly saw him in a pub? 

I think the County fans are getting a bit light-headed. Their takeover isn''t confirmed yet.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I want him here but 400k is a bit much. Would prefer it to be spent on Adomah[/quote]

Hear! Hear!What''s the use of strikers if there''s no pace in the side to supply them.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Mr. Bump"]I want him here but 400k is a bit much. Would prefer it to be spent on Adomah[/quote]

Hear! Hear!What''s the use of strikers if there''s no pace in the side to supply them.[/quote]Just tell that to Beckham...! [;)]Agree to an extent, but we need more than just raw pace - look at Lee Croft for an example of pace and work rate, but VERY few assists.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Mr. Bump"]I want him here but 400k is a bit much. Would prefer it to be spent on Adomah[/quote]

Hear! Hear!What''s the use of strikers if there''s no pace in the side to supply them.[/quote]Just tell that to Beckham...! [;)]Agree to an extent, but we need more than just raw pace - look at Lee Croft for an example of pace and work rate, but VERY few assists.[/quote]

The fact that Croft had pace, but couldn''t cross and had the footballing brain of a deceased mosquito goes without saying, which is why I didn''t mention the useless article in my previous post.Trust you to go and state the obvious yet again. Seriously, are there any people here with a decent knowledge of how the game of football works, because I''m starting to think I''m wasting my precious time.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Mr. Bump"]I want him here but 400k is a bit much. Would prefer it to be spent on Adomah[/quote]

Hear! Hear!What''s the use of strikers if there''s no pace in the side to supply them.[/quote]Just tell that to Beckham...! [;)]Agree to an extent, but we need more than just raw pace - look at Lee Croft for an example of pace and work rate, but VERY few assists.[/quote]

The fact that Croft had pace, but couldn''t cross and had the footballing brain of a deceased mosquito goes without saying, which is why I didn''t mention the useless article in my previous post.Trust you to go and state the obvious yet again. Seriously, are there any people here with a decent knowledge of how the game of football works, because I''m starting to think I''m wasting my precious time.[/quote]Dear me Shyster, you have to go and get all defensive again. I bow to your superior footballing knowledge, and sincerely thank you for spending time with us on the forum. However, suffice to say, all I was pointing out is that pace is not the be-all-and-end-all of a winger.My point was that I would rather have somebody who can deliver assists, but might have the pace of Beckham - rather than someone who has electric pace, but the footballing brain of a deceased mosquito.If Adomah has both of these in his locker, and can consistently produce the goods, then it goes with out saying he would be an excellent signing at the quoted prices (hence why I didn''t mention it in my previous post).There, happy now?