Sign in to follow this  
Bob da Canary

Against Pompy....

I think that this should be the team against portsmouth

Green

Edworthy   Fleming   Charlton  Drury

Mulryne    Bentley     Safri      Francis

Mckenzie           Huckerby

Anyone agree? Also, does anyone think we should have Jarvis involved in the 1st team squad??

Whatever team plays it is not an immense game that I feel we must win in order to give us confidence with the rest of the must win games that now loom over us.  There is of course no guarantee in football that we will win any game but everybody keeps saying how the next ten games will shape our season so we must win.  Another point is just not good enough.

mulryne is really a centre mid aswell. u can only play 2 out of francis, safri, holt and mulryne in my opinion.

green

edworthy fleming charlton drury

helveg francis safri bentley

mckenzie huckerby

Well guys, how ''bout this one:

Green

Edworthy     Fleming    Charlton      Drury

Helveg

Bentley          Francis             Jonson

Huckerby   McKenzie

Bob da C - I think Worthy must now resort to 4-3-3 at home if he''s brave (he won''t be) as this was when we looked most dangerous last year and had that winning belief (Burnley a good example). I would start with Jarvis alongside Leon.  But I agree your 4-4-2 formation will work when you have the right mix of midfielders - Holt needs to be rested and would like to see Mulryne back - even if on the bench with Svensson, Jonson and Doherty. But what chances Jarvis (no start in a year) or Holt being given some leave??

The results so far are much to be expected but its the lack of seeming belief that worries me a bit - the season starts (again) Saturday and we need to get back to what worked best last year - Premiership or not.

Green

Edworthy       Fleming     Charlton       Drury

Helveg       Francis       Safri

Bently                               Huckerby

Mckenzie

James,I agree on your personnel,but I would try this formation against Portsmouth.We must go all out for a win,and this gives us many attacking options,with players comfortable in these positions,but still safe defensively without being negative.

Whatever anyone says this is a must win game and the performance of saturday is not the way to go into it.

My team would be

Green

Edworthy Charlton Fleming Drury

Jonson (Bentley) Safri Francis Huckerby

Doherty Mckenzie

Jonson is a natural winger and our most expensive summer signing I think he has a point to prove and needs 90 minutes to prove it. Bentley as I have said before is too much of a loose cannon, he can change a game but unless he can learn to play in a team he should stay on the bench.

I dont understand why worthy insists on playing Gary Holt , he seriously loks like he needs a rest to me. We need more up front and as I have said a million times Darren Huckerby will not score the goals to keep us in this league, although he may create them. He was at his best last season on the left why haven''t we played him there once this season ?

Jarvis on the Bench ! We need a miracle man.

[quote]Bob da C - I think Worthy must now resort to 4-3-3 at home if he''s brave (he won''t be) as this was when we looked most dangerous last year and had that winning belief (Burnley a good example). I would...[/quote]

I agree with you Sony ......  what seems to be happening with our team  is a lack of confidence following the babtism of fire we have encountered  playing  the big money clubs ..... thats why we have to secure some convincing wins  when we play the " lesser " clubs , there`s NO doubt in my mind  that we have the players to do this ....... this  is where  Worthy  has to be at his best  , so far he`s being a tad defensive , understandable , but  the lack of support up front is beginning to indicate  that a change of strategy  is needed !  

Glove , I can`t agree with you that Hucks  wont score the goals  we need  ......   far from it !!   he has the talent  , and experience, to be our top scorer ........  but  he is mostly on his own  up front  ......  what does Worthy expect him to do , take on three or four defenders ..... then score  ?   he needs a couple of guys  around him  who have the  wit to keep up with him when he makes his runs .....   its the only way to take the heat off Hucks !     

We will have to agree to disagree sheded, How many times have i seen Huckerby beat three defenders only to mis a tap in ? more times than i would like to remember.

I agree with the sentiment that we should play in the formation we did towards the end of last season when we were dominant, but with Doc in the Sven role.  By this I mean

Green

Edworthy      Charlton    Fleming         Drury

Francis       Safri          Holt

McKenize     Docherty   Huckerby

It is an attacking formation, but we are at home against relatively poor oppostion chasing our first win.  Against Liverpool we weren''t even close to scoring.  Something needs to be done.

By playing the splendid rush 4-3-3 city will rely on 3 front men with no support from the midfield and a long ball game - short crisp passing movements are out as the midfield sits on top of the back four again and we rely on Holts touch to get the ball to Docherys head. Its not the sort of game I want to be watching - unless we start winning of course ;-)OTBC

[quote]We will have to agree to disagree sheded, How many times have i seen Huckerby beat three defenders only to mis a tap in ? more times than i would like to remember.[/quote]

Thats fine by me Glove ! ...... but what striker Doesn`t miss sitters ? ........  check out the  tv replays  every week ......  you would think that goalposts have a mysterious attraction for footballs ! .....   every whichway but goal bound ......  the trick we aught to remember is .......  that Hucks  gets into goal scoring positions !!! .......  know what I think ? ....... if Saffri can refrain from kicking lumps  out  of the opposition ....those two  would scare the pants out of any  defence 

Here''s the team I would select......with no surprises in the defence! I don''t see what people see in Safri, he''s slow and gives the ball away to easily and to often, rather see Mulryne play when he''s fully fit.

Green

Edworthy Fleming Charlton Drury

Jonson Francis Holt Bentley

McKenzie Huckerby