Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

2 very good signings but......

why only 2 year contracts ??If we get promoted this season and these 2 play a big part then other clubs could become interested and with only 1 year left on their contracts the club will probably want to sell them on in fear that they leave for nothing a year later.You watch, 28 year old Grant Holt will sign on a 3 or 4 year deal.Good signings but the club shows more lack of ambition with the contract lenghs.

I reckon its because both players probably wouldnt want to commit to larger contracts incase we didnt get promoted this season.

Well 2 years are better than one, if we get, and that''s a huge IF we get promoted will we still want them? 

There are reasons for these deals, maybe it was their terms and not the clubs?  Just a thought [:)]

They probably want to see if we go up this season, because they wouldn''t want to have a really long contract if were just going to be stuck in League 1 for 4 seasons!!! Lack of ambition, my arse.

[quote user="Duffman"]why only 2 year contracts ??

If we get promoted this season and these 2 play a big part then other clubs could become interested and with only 1 year left on their contracts the club will probably want to sell them on in fear that they leave for nothing a year later.

You watch, 28 year old Grant Holt will sign on a 3 or 4 year deal.

Good signings but the club shows more lack of ambition with the contract lenghs.

[/quote]i do agree but i think you have to look at the flip side...if we dont get promoted and these 2 players are very poor(god forbid)...we dont have them on 3-4 year deals paying wages for players we are not using [Y]

It''s because they''re League 1 players not Championship players.  The idea is to get promoted, if we do, we can get shot of them again and get better players in.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

There are reasons for these deals, maybe it was their terms and not the clubs?  Just a thought [:)]

[/quote]Hmmm... Nah it''s Delia''s fault. [:P]

They both see themselves as Championship players, they need to see if we are as ambitious as we undoubtedly told them we were!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Well 2 years are better than one, if we get, and that''s a huge IF we get promoted will we still want them? 

[/quote]Also for Wiggins, he is 21.  If he won''t sign a new contract, after 2 years we would get a fee for him as he''ll still be under 24.  If he has a 3 year, he could go like Croft.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Duffman"]why only 2 year contracts ??

If we get promoted this season and these 2 play a big part then other clubs could become interested and with only 1 year left on their contracts the club will probably want to sell them on in fear that they leave for nothing a year later.

You watch, 28 year old Grant Holt will sign on a 3 or 4 year deal.

Good signings but the club shows more lack of ambition with the contract lenghs.

[/quote]i do agree but i think you have to look at the flip side...if we dont get promoted and these 2 players are very poor(god forbid)...we dont have them on 3-4 year deals paying wages for players we are not using [Y][/quote]i do agree we should have signed them for a bit longer...not the lack of ambition,,just thought i would clear that up before i got lynched

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

Hmmm... Nah it''s Delia''s fault. [:P]
[/quote]

lol well me and Beauseant have already blamed hubby''s swine flu on Delia, so hell, why not lol

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

lol well me and Beauseant have already blamed hubby''s swine flu on Delia, so hell, why not lol

[/quote]

I hear she kicked Grant Holt''s bad ankle to make him fail his medical (or so Wiz told me[:D])

Relegation here we come!

[quote user="ncfclad"]I reckon its because both players probably wouldnt want to commit to larger contracts incase we didnt get promoted this season.[/quote]

They have not really set the championship alight have they.

[quote user="Tookie140"]

[quote user="ncfclad"]I reckon its because both players probably wouldnt want to commit to larger contracts incase we didnt get promoted this season.[/quote]

They have not really set the championship alight have they.

[/quote]

We''re not in the championship tho.......

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I hear she kicked Grant Holt''s bad ankle to make him fail his medical (or so Wiz told me[:D])

Relegation here we come!

[/quote]the biach....what was Wiz sauce and can we take this as gospel???

Sorry people, I just wanted to get in there before the great wizard.    Now I know what it feels like to be an attention seeker, some of those comments cut deep [:P]   No wonder he does it though, thats the most replies I have ever had in the shortest amount of time.   You should all try it sometime.Great signings and hopefully they can help us get out of L1 and beyond.     Always been impressed when Whaley has played against us, but then again most people tend to look good when they have played us in the last 3 years.Well done Gunny!!!  Looking forward to tomorrow even more now.

FFS! More negative comments. At least Gunny is signing players on permanent contracts. We need to build our squad up. The players Gunny has bought are at a good age and he''s gradually getting cover in all areas.

I''m bitterly disappointed, although everyone said Whaley and Wiggins I was hoping for Aaron Lennon and Ashley Cole, goodbye play offs, hello League 2 etc,etc. 

[quote user="Death by Chocolate Starfish"]FFS! More negative comments. At least Gunny is signing players on permanent contracts. We need to build our squad up. The players Gunny has bought are at a good age and he''s gradually getting cover in all areas.[/quote]Bless him...........

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]It could be there is an option for another year in each case, but I would guess that it''s the promotion issue really.[/quote]

I would expect McNally to have put options both ways in the contracts.

If we are promoted I would expect us to have an option on at least one more year if we want it......This is not Doomcaster who is dealing with contracts now remember!!

We''ve made this mistake before, when Worthy gave Drury a 4 year contract and he''s been injured for about 3 and a half years of that! Wiggins who has a history of injury problems should only be given a 2 year contract, as he could do another Drury.

[quote user="First Wizard"]If he can stay fit, Wiggy will be a superb signing.[Y][/quote]You''ve seen him then, have you?