Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

last year vs this year...

Marshall <-------------> TheoklitisOtsemobor<----------->SpillaneShackell<-------------->NelsonDoherty<-------------->DohertyBertrand<------------->WigginsCroft<----------------->WhaleyClingan<--------------->HughesRussell<---------------->Tudor JonesHoolahan<------------->HoolahanLee<------------------->Maric (i''m hopeful!)Mooney<-------------->HoltI actually prefer this years team! Not even included players like Gill, Martin, Rudd, Cureton, Stefanovic, McDonald, Alnwick, Drury, Otsemobor and Askounoone else of extra note comes to mind from the end of last season''s side.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Marshall <-------------> TheoklitisOtsemobor<----------->SpillaneShackell<-------------->NelsonDoherty<-------------->DohertyBertrand<------------->WigginsCroft<----------------->WhaleyClingan<--------------->HughesRussell<---------------->Tudor JonesHoolahan<------------->HoolahanLee<------------------->Maric (i''m hopeful!)Mooney<-------------->HoltI actually prefer this years team! Not even included players like Gill, Martin, Rudd, Cureton, Stefanovic, McDonald, Alnwick, Drury, Otsemobor and Askounoone else of extra note comes to mind from the end of last season''s side.[/quote]4-3 to the old team for me. Maric hasn''t signed yet so I didn''t do that one and obviously the players still here.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Marshall <-------------> TheoklitisOtsemobor<----------->SpillaneShackell<-------------->NelsonDoherty<-------------->DohertyBertrand<------------->WigginsCroft<----------------->WhaleyClingan<--------------->HughesRussell<---------------->Tudor JonesHoolahan<------------->HoolahanLee<------------------->Maric (i''m hopeful!)Mooney<-------------->HoltI actually prefer this years team! Not even included players like Gill, Martin, Rudd, Cureton, Stefanovic, McDonald, Alnwick, Drury, Otsemobor and Askounoone else of extra note comes to mind from the end of last season''s side.[/quote]4-3 to the old team for me. Maric hasn''t signed yet so I didn''t do that one and obviously the players still here.[/quote]

lets hope not bumpy!!!!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Marshall <-------------> TheoklitisOtsemobor<----------->SpillaneShackell<-------------->NelsonDoherty<-------------->DohertyBertrand<------------->WigginsCroft<----------------->WhaleyClingan<--------------->HughesRussell<---------------->Tudor JonesHoolahan<------------->HoolahanLee<------------------->McDonaldMooney<-------------->HoltI actually prefer this years team! Not even included players like Gill, Martin, Rudd, Cureton, Stefanovic, McDonald, Alnwick, Drury, Otsemobor and Askounoone else of extra note comes to mind from the end of last season''s side.[/quote];)

oops i forgot to bold last years players. apart from marshall and shackell cos dont know how good theoklitos and nelson are.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Marshall <-------------> Theoklitis - dead heat, only going on my limited knowledge of TheoklitisOtsemobor<----------->Spillane - otherwise i''d just put semmi there, so Spillane clearly winsShackell<-------------->Nelson - Shacks is good, yeahDoherty<-------------->DohertyBertrand<------------->Wiggins - soCroft<----------------->Whaley - honest! seen both playClingan<--------------->HughesRussell<---------------->Tudor Jones - rusty had gotten, well, rustyHoolahan<------------->HoolahanLee<------------------->Maric (i''m hopeful!)Mooney<-------------->Holt - he''ll score moreI actually prefer this years team! Not even included players like Gill, Martin, Rudd, Cureton, Stefanovic, McDonald, Alnwick, Drury, Otsemobor and Askounoone else of extra note comes to mind from the end of last season''s side.[/quote]

comparing it to the team we had at the start of the season and i think there is no contest, this years team is stronger... what''s more we own all our players bar Alnwick...and maric currently.

Impossible to say this years team is better.  Just ask yourself the question - if we has survived relegation would ANY of this summers signing have been good enough??? Would anyone have been happy with them?  Would this side have kept us in the league?

Apart from maybe Hughes over rusty for me its a resounding no - I am far from convinced that this squad is stronger.

However that does not mean it has been a poor summer - it look like a decent rebuild on a limit budget,  but as with previous seasons whether tactics and team spirit create a winning side is still months away in the knowing. Likewise it may not be good enough to chase promotion - which this squad will need to achieve to prove it is better than last seasons...

Whaley, Holt and Theoklitis would have been good enough in the championship imo, and wiggins, Tudor Jones and maric, i''m not sure. Nelson and Gill probs not

Best thing for me is that there are not six or seven loans players as in recent seasons. Now Norwich might just start moving forward again after the last three or fours seasons.

The simple fact is that this squad needed a comprehensive rebuild and that looks like what has happened.  Time will tell whether Gunny has got it right, and I am not convinced he has.  However, at least he has assembled a squad which is ours and even if it is not successful gives us something to build on

[quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]The simple fact is that this squad needed a comprehensive rebuild and that looks like what has happened.  Time will tell whether Gunny has got it right, and I am not convinced he has.  However, at least he has assembled a squad which is ours and even if it is not successful gives us something to build on[/quote]

I think this is fair/reasonable comment.

If we buy 9 players its unlikely all of them will do well for one reason another.

I also think the true test of Gunn as a manager will obviously be results but..... also how he develops the younger talent at the club.

On one hand Gunn should feel fortunate at being given a chance to put things right.

But..... the new chairman already stated it''s a "results based busines" which means after the support the board/fans rebate has given Gunn he just has to do well in the first 10-15 games.

Anything less than top 6 will be seen as failure given our resources.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]The simple fact is that this squad needed a comprehensive rebuild and that looks like what has happened.  Time will tell whether Gunny has got it right, and I am not convinced he has.  However, at least he has assembled a squad which is ours and even if it is not successful gives us something to build on[/quote]

I think this is fair/reasonable comment.

If we buy 9 players its unlikely all of them will do well for one reason another.

I also think the true test of Gunn as a manager will obviously be results but..... also how he develops the younger talent at the club.

On one hand Gunn should feel fortunate at being given a chance to put things right.

But..... the new chairman already stated it''s a "results based busines" which means after the support the board/fans rebate has given Gunn he just has to do well in the first 10-15 games.

Anything less than top 6 will be seen as failure given our resources.

[/quote]

Agreed. I think a push for the play-offs is the least we should be hoping for.  Gunn has put together a reasonable looking squad. Now he just has to prove he is capable of managing it.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Impossible to say this years team is better.  Just ask yourself the question - if we has survived relegation would ANY of this summers signing have been good enough??? Would anyone have been happy with them?  Would this side have kept us in the league?

Apart from maybe Hughes over rusty for me its a resounding no - I am far from convinced that this squad is stronger.

However that does not mean it has been a poor summer - it look like a decent rebuild on a limit budget,  but as with previous seasons whether tactics and team spirit create a winning side is still months away in the knowing. Likewise it may not be good enough to chase promotion - which this squad will need to achieve to prove it is better than last seasons...

[/quote]

Sensible post ZLF.

I''ve been pleasantly surprised by Bryan Gunn''s signings, at least in the number of new faces he''s managed to persuade to come here. But until we''re a little way into the season there''s no way of knowing whether or not it''s going to be a better team than last term.

God help us if it''s not - I don''t fancy another relegation - but the jury has to still be out as no-one knows how good or bad the new recruits will be. A hell of a lot rests on Bryan''s shoulders......

Im happy that we have our own squad with just the loan goal keeper. Some of the signings would not have been that great in the championship true, however we are now in the process of a rebuild and hopefully we will become a better team and club from this-and learn from past mistakes. It may not be easy and may not be as quick as some would like but thats football-no one has the divine right to anything.