Sign in to follow this  
The Great Wall Of Tettey

We still need a target man !!

why do we need a target man many other teams are sucessful without one why not use the pace we have in team the likes of holt martin and macdonld will scare the life out of most defences in this division

[quote user="shipdhamcanary"]why do we need a target man many other teams are sucessful without one why not use the pace we have in team the likes of holt martin and macdonld will scare the life out of most defences in this division[/quote]

Martin has no pace! Well the last time i saw him play 4 Norwich he was very slow but a year of playin first team football might of given him an extra yard of pace... 

[quote user="tank"]

[quote user="shipdhamcanary"]why do we need a target man many other teams are sucessful without one why not use the pace we have in team the likes of holt martin and macdonld will scare the life out of most defences in this division[/quote]

Martin has no pace! Well the last time i saw him play 4 Norwich he was very slow but a year of playin first team football might of given him an extra yard of pace... 

[/quote]

Holt doesn''t have very much pace at all either.

Our squad looks brilliant we have spent a fortune on it, all is forgiven!If we dont win the league by 10 points I will be amazed.Delia is a genius!

I am interested in when the Tottenham reserves keeper is going to get his gloves dirty. Maybe Delia has a deal with Tottenham that means we have to pay the wages of one of their players every seaon for absolutely **** all returnAnybody remember Arhibald? Do we not have a great goalkeeping talent getting itchy feet waiting in the wings?What a clueless bunch we have in charge!

"yes hes 6 ft, but a striker doesnt score 20 a season being a target man." 

So let me get this right, he is big.  He played in the target man role for other clubs, but your arguement that he is not a target man is that he scores too many goals.  Isn''t the Premiership''s all time top scorer a 6'' target man?  Also, if you look at League 1 last year, the joint top scorer was a 6'' 2" target man.

Some people are unbelievable, will complain about anything.

Rubbish! Have a look at the premiership and tell me that target men cant score 20 goals a season!Steve Howard managed 22 goals in one season in the Championship with Derby with 19 of those in the league itself and 3 in cup competitions.Iwan is another example but he scored 23 goals in 1998/99, again with 19 league goals and 4 goals in cup competitions.There are more examples of target men scoring 20+ goals a season so the idea that they don''t is not great especially when using it as a measure of whether a player is a target man or not.Lita played as a target man when we played one up front and he did a good job even though he is only 5''9". Its about the style in which you play as well as height. Plus for an average height guy Lita had a hell of a leap on him, reminded me of how Kenton used to compete with the big-uns.

Chicken, you''re spot on. It''s frightening how many people think a target man has to be a specific height! Shearer wasn''t tall, Mark Hughes wasn''t tall, Rooney isn''t tall and plays the target man role for England.

A target man is simply that - a target. Targets can be any size. Movement, touch and strength are needed, not height!