Sign in to follow this  
TheCardinal

Comparing our transfers to our competitiors & some general thoughts on League One

With our squad now nearing completion, I thought it would be a good idea to have a look around the other sides and take a look at who other teams have brought in. Here''s a few things I''ve noticed.
  1. We''ve brought in more players than any other team. Next nearest is Oldham with 7.
  2. Only 17 of 93 signings involved a transfer fee. None of them disclosed the fee. Please note my source for this is the Sky Sports transfer list which I do think is missing one or two transfers.
  3. Nine of the 93 signings are loanees. We had more loans last season at our club alone than the entire league has at the moment. Notably one of those loanees is Ben Alnwick from Spurs to us.
  4. Of all the transfers, here are the pick of the bunch for me are: Liam Dickinson from Derby to Brighton, Miguel Angel Llera from MK Dons to Charlton, Peter Clarke from Southend to Huddesfield, Patrick Kisnorbo from Leicester to Leeds, Jermaine Easter from Plymouth to MK Dons, Jonathan Douglas from Leeds to Swindon, Alan Mahon from Burnley to Tranmere, Michael Duberry from Reading to Wycombe, Pawel Abbot from Darlington to Oldham.
  5. I think in comparison to these we can be pleased with the quality of our signings. I think many would suggest our main competitiors to be Charlton and Leeds. But I personally think MK Dons, Millwall, Oldham (my dark horses) and Huddesfield are all going to do well as well. I''ve not included Southampton as I think they''ll struggle to overcome the -10 points deduction they have to compete with the top of the table. Neither Charlton or Leeds have really strengthened significantly. Leeds have done well to keep hold of Beckford and Kisnorbo is a good signing, but I think they need more to really push for promotion. Charlton face increasing speculation about their financial stability and I think unless they sell some of their better youngsters, they may struggle to make it at the top. Millwall have kept the nucleus of the side that nearly fired them to the Championship, and added Jason Price, who always seems to do well against us, and I think they will do well. Do they have the consistency to make it any further than before? I don''t know. Oldham are managed by Dave Penney who I believe is one of the best managers outside the Prem & Champs. He has made some shrewd signings - Pawel Abbot knows where the net is. Andy Holdsworth, Jon Worthington and Keigan Parker as well are experienced veterens of this league and know exactly what''s needed. I predict they''ll do well. But again, I can''t see them doing that well. Finally, Huddesfield. They''ve had the cash - but what have they got to show for it? Robbie Simpson is a gamble. He''s not exactly done great at Coventry - but has showed he can score goals. Peter Clarke is a good defender as well. Other than that though, I''m not seeing exactly great progress. Huddesfield struggled at the end of last season - and I think they need more to really provide stiff competition for the top spots.
  6. What I''m trying to say is I don''t see a Leicester among the other clubs in league one. And unlike last year, the clubs that have joined us from League Two (Exeter, Wycombe and Brentford) are not blessed with rich benefactors. Far from it. So I don''t see any of them following in Peterborough''s foot steps. I think this league is a far, far easier league to get out of than last year''s league one. Our competitiors are not strengthening fantastically - probably because of a lack of money caused by the recession. Charlton and Southampton seem to be suffering from financial problems that make us look wealthy, and the wealthy sides of this league (Brighton and Huddesfield) don''t seem able to spend that money very efficiently.
  7. We must get this right. We have a great opportunity to bounce straight back - and I think we''re building well. Better than the other teams in this division.

IMO we''ve had a better transfer window than I could have hoped for - and there is still time for more tinkering if needed.

Of course, it was sorely needed after what Roeder left behind - in terms of bodies, 9 players signed + one loan (to cover injury) is amazing compared to previous years.

The clear issue is whether we can get them to bed in together quickly, and what sort of start we get off to - the latter is in terms of supporter unrest as much as anything else; imo finding your feet after relegation is rarely immediate, even for sides that go straight back up. [See our 85/86 season - won title at a canter but after a rather iffy start].

A good read, insightful, I commend your effort, sir.I have a fealing Gunn isn''t quite done yet either, might have one more signing up his sleeve. I''m probably gonna get slated for this, but I think he has been well backed by our board this window.We will need to get off to a flying start, and we will need to find a winning formula, a solid 11 and hope they stay as fit as possible. If we do that, I''d like to think we can make a real impression. As with anyone though, we will need a little luck, and I think this comes especially into play with regards injuries (an area we haven''t been very lucky in of late).

good work......but our competitors have squads, we building in respects the wrong way, foundations are built over years not days!!! but i do ifeel we have made some good signings......just watch this  space!

I''m not slating, but was he backed by our board, or simply used the basic resources he was given very well??

Hopefully you are right, and this is the work of the new board doing what they were brought in to do!!

[quote user="NottsCanary"]I''m not slating, but was he backed by our board, or simply used the basic resources he was given very well?? Hopefully you are right, and this is the work of the new board doing what they were brought in to do!![/quote]

Or both perhaps?