Sign in to follow this  
NCFC_Shaun

Today's friendly - dissapointment.

Exactly, its only a friendly, i''m trying not to take too many negatives from the whole thing and (although its often said way too much) the team was full of players who haven''t had too much time playing together. Also, the man u youth players aint exactly poor either. I think Holt should''ve been put on sooner though, would be nice to see what he could do given more time.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

Ok, it was ''one friendly'', and they ''need time to gel'', and i ''shouldn''t base any evaluations on one game'', but quite frankly - it was awful.

Jamie Cureton is a pathetic excuse for a player. Every time he got the ball he lost it, it was laughable. Why he is still at this club is beyond me - and how anybody can think that he ''may be good now we''ve dropped down a level'' is also, in my opinion, far from the truth. I''ve seen enough of Jamie from the last 2 seasons to know he''s useless - but today truly confirmed that.

Owain Tudor-Jones. Very poor game I thought from him. However, its the first time I''ve seen him play so, unlike Cureton, I''m not going to start shouting for him to be sold - I''m just hoping he improves. From todays performance I saw a clumsy player who just walks around the centre circle and can''t seem to see the ball from how high up he is. I''m just hoping thats because he didn''t get much of the ball - but time will tell.

Paul McVeigh - didn''t do very much bar one useless cross. I''m still rather suprised we actually signed him and can''t believe he is still good enough to do a job for us - but I liked McVeigh in his prime so i''m willing to give him another try as well.

Simon Whaley - the signing I was most excited about. I was expecting to see him keeping out wide and using his pace to burst down the wing. Infact, it seemed to be the complete opposite. Didn''t see him use his pace once and most of the time Otsemobor would be  out wide and Whaley would have randomly positioned himself on the inside. Again, he only got 45 minutes so it would be unfair to judge that signing from today - but I was very underwhelmed.

Grant Holt - didn''t get much of the ball. But just from his posture and movement I''m still doubtful if he will justify his price tag. When he got the ball today, he didn''t seem to put much effort in either. But as he didn''t get much of the ball I''ll be hoping he improves. Besides, if I was left on the bench for Jamie Cureton I wouldn''t put much effort in either.

Even so, there were some positives to take out from the match...

Chris Martin - superb attitude and effort first half. Used his strength well and looked composed when on the ball. One of the few players to stand out today and look like he was putting in any effort.

Tom Adeyemi. Strong and quick central midfielder who looks like he''s got an eye for goal. Excellent strike for his goal, using his strength to muscle through a defender and hammering it into the top corner. He was not far away from a second with a powerful scissor kick either. Him and Martin were the stand-out players today.

Askou - faded away but looked strong and good with his head from the first 30-or-so minutes.

Overall, I was very dissapointed from the performance today and my optimism levels have dropped considerably. I hope I see a mjor improvement against Wigan.

[/quote]

few more games yet...but good work!

BLOODY HELL!!! Lets get this into perspective OK!!!The first half was a vast improvement on last season IMO!! we kept the ball and created chances!!OTJ was a vital part in this, he made the tackles and was such a presence in midfield! How can you criticise him? It was blindlingly obvious we lost shape and bite in our midfield when he was taken off at half time!! His distribution may have been poor in places but we have a ball winner!McVeigh was OK, nothing special, and Hoolahan deserves a mention as I thought he was generally very good!Yes...Cureton is a joke, so is Semmy...these two need shot of! They are the weekest links! But they are deadwood imo and their days will soon be up I feel, so lets focus on the new blood!Overall I think the signs are VERY positive!!! I believe we still havent lost a pre season game? And generally our new players look impressive!!! and remember we have had to rebuild on a shoestring budget, we cant afford to bring in expensive players! We arent going to get the next Steven Gerrard so LETS STOP CRITISING AND GET BEHIND THE TEAM!!!

What did those at the game think of Gill today?

Personally I thought although he was trying and was doing his best to close people down, he didnt have too much success in breaking down play like OTJ.

I would also agree with the comments about Jamie, pretty poor and Askou looked fairly solid at CB.

I would also wonder if people agree that with hools and mcveigh we seemed in the first half to hold up play alot better, and that their absence made the difference in the second?

[quote user="The_Logitian"]

and Hoolahan deserves a mention as I thought he was generally very good!

[/quote]

Agreed. I wouldn''t bet against Hoolahan being player of the season come next May.

Positives -
Tudor Jones - solid in the middle, yes he made a few questionable passes but overall a good performance.
Tom Adeyemi - Looked a class act in my eyes, would love to see him in the starting lineup on the 8th!
Askou - Solid first half, good commanding headers, a few good blocks, faded a bit nearer the end.
Chris Martin - Worked his socks off, looks twice the player he was before his loan, looking forward to see him contribute this season.

Negatives -
Jamie Cureton - anyone who went to the game today would of seen how bad this man really is!
Jon Otsemboor - Never looks comfortable, scares me when he has the ball at his feet!
Paul Mcveigh - He did look ok but he is not a left winger, he would do a much better job in the middle i think.

Overall a pretty bad game really but some promising passing moves and made some good chances in the first half, second half was a poor show for both teams really!

Gawd sakes. What do you expect. These lads are under instruction to do enough and not risk injury.

I accept it''s all about opinions but you simply cannot go to these games and assess as if it''s a first team game. I therefore totally disagree with your report Shaun.

The first half we kept a good shape and played some neat passes. In the second half, when it was obvious it had been agreed Man U would have a turn at attacking, it was a defensive practice. No more No less

McVeigh played on the right, and looked ok imo. Certainly capable of being a decent squad player this year.

Holt fat and unfit? Going to disagree there. He is a big guy and he put himself about. Exactly what we need this season.