Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Time to bury the hatchet

For the first time in years this is starting to feel like a proper close season.  The club appears to be serious about football and about signing players.  The quality of the new signings is unproven but I''m willing to give the management credit for trying to get the best they can with the pitiful resources at their disposal.

So what''s changed?  Gunny''s still there, D&M are still there.  There are two new board members, but don''t underestimate the importance of the chief executive in the success (or failure) of a football club.  That''s where the real change has taken place imo.  Doncaster was all talk and no action and this one appears to be just the opposite, which is fine by me.  It''s too soon to say how good he really is but he''s better than what went before, that''s for sure.

In my view Neil Doncaster is far more directly responsible for our fall from grace than I used to give him credit for.  I was deeply unimpressed with him for years but thought he was simply a mouthpiece for the powers that be at Carrow Road.  Now it''s starting to dawn that perhaps D&M were taken in by him just like the rest of us, as he used our club to feather his own nest and climb the greasy pole to the position in which he now finds himself. 

If I were to sum him up in a single word it would be "plausible".  Any number of transfer targets failed to make it onto the payroll at Carrow Road while he was in charge, as he invented new and different variations on a theme of "We can''t compete".  Fans accepted it as gospel - and so, quite possibly, did D&M.  It wasn''t true.  We could have competed but with Doncaster at the helm we simply didn''t want to.  We were far more prosperous then than we are now and yet so many good transfers simply didn''t happen.  And you have to ask where the ideas for big borrowing and big spending on infrastructure originally came from - D&M or Doncaster?  Who was really pulling the strings?

Having worked closely with Doncaster for over a decade, you could well argue that D&M should have seen through him years ago and given him the boot instead of a place on the board.  But they didn''t, and now we are where we are.  I still find it hard to forgive their failure to encourage new investment into the club (not just Peter Cullum but in general) but I admit that I''ve laid the blame at their door for other things which with hindsight were probably Doncaster''s fault, and apologise.

I still loathe the "happy clappy nice little family club" image that Delia seems so fond of, but that''s not the reason we''re in this mess.  So no more "Delia Out!" from me (and no "Delia In!" either).  Time to bury the hatchet and move on.

OTBC

[quote user="canary cherub "]

For the first time in years this is starting to feel like a proper close season.  The club appears to be serious about football and about signing players.  The quality of the new signings is unproven but I''m willing to give the management credit for trying to get the best they can with the pitiful resources at their disposal.

So what''s changed?  Gunny''s still there, D&M are still there.  There are two new board members, but don''t underestimate the importance of the chief executive in the success (or failure) of a football club.  That''s where the real change has taken place imo.  Doncaster was all talk and no action and this one appears to be just the opposite, which is fine by me.  It''s too soon to say how good he really is but he''s better than what went before, that''s for sure.

In my view Neil Doncaster is far more directly responsible for our fall from grace than I used to give him credit for.  I was deeply unimpressed with him for years but thought he was simply a mouthpiece for the powers that be at Carrow Road.  Now it''s starting to dawn that perhaps D&M were taken in by him just like the rest of us, as he used our club to feather his own nest and climb the greasy pole to the position in which he now finds himself. 

If I were to sum him up in a single word it would be "plausible".  Any number of transfer targets failed to make it onto the payroll at Carrow Road while he was in charge, as he invented new and different variations on a theme of "We can''t compete".  Fans accepted it as gospel - and so, quite possibly, did D&M.  It wasn''t true.  We could have competed but with Doncaster at the helm we simply didn''t want to.  We were far more prosperous then than we are now and yet so many good transfers simply didn''t happen.  And you have to ask where the ideas for big borrowing and big spending on infrastructure originally came from - D&M or Doncaster?  Who was really pulling the strings?

Having worked closely with Doncaster for over a decade, you could well argue that D&M should have seen through him years ago and given him the boot instead of a place on the board.  But they didn''t, and now we are where we are.  I still find it hard to forgive their failure to encourage new investment into the club (not just Peter Cullum but in general) but I admit that I''ve laid the blame at their door for other things which with hindsight were probably Doncaster''s fault, and apologise.

I still loathe the "happy clappy nice little family club" image that Delia seems so fond of, but that''s not the reason we''re in this mess.  So no more "Delia Out!" from me (and no "Delia In!" either).  Time to bury the hatchet and move on.

OTBC

[/quote]

Very very very good post my frıend. You sum up my feelıngs well. 10 out of 10[*]. If I was gıven the choıce between Delıa leavıng I would stıll be for ıt . Anger and resentment towards 2 people (the stowmarket two) who obvıously care about the club wıll not help at all.

Onwards and upwards for us. OTBC[Y]

I''d certainly go along with that. Delia is by no means a Saint and should still be held accountable for the mess this club is in. However, the board have made changes this summer and going on the amount of activity in the transfer market and the way the club has acted in doing those deals has to be commended. Whether it will ultimately have the effect we all want and that is for Norwich to have a winning team once again is yet to be seen. I have got to say that this summer has certainly seemed far more positive and football focused than previously.

[quote user="CT "][quote user="canary cherub "]

OTBC

[/quote]

Very very very good post my frıend. You sum up my feelıngs well. 10 out of 10[*]. If I was gıven the choıce between Delıa leavıng I would stıll be for ıt . Anger and resentment towards 2 people (the stowmarket two) who obvıously care about the club wıll not help at all.

[/quote]

lets see how we are in 15 games time!

Cherub, your post makes me happier than most I suspect. It has never been important to me who is right or wrong. You have always had the ability to articulate your thoughts very well and now, having allowed yourself to put your bias aside, will undoubtedly provide the more balanced input that you so capably demonstrated in your earlier posting period. Well done.

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]CT- Will you be altering your sig. and tag line then?
[/quote]

When I decıde what to then yes.

I really really thought that league 1 would result ın us stagnatıng and turnıng ınto a year ın  year out sıde. Faır play to the board though- they are ınvestıng very heavıly ınto the squad (ın terms of players bought ın) and the players sold and released have benefıtted the club ımo.

Clıngan wasnt ever goıng to stay- not bothered AT ALL by tyrone goıng and the same wıth marshall.

If we sıgn marıc, troy powell, askou and hucks (for lm cover?) and dump barndoor then I for one wıll be one happy lıttle canary.

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="CT "][quote user="canary cherub "]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You do realise that the Purist Group is an elaborate joke don''t you? There is in fact no such thing, which makes your persistent pathetic attempts to win Cluck''s favour seem more and more sad.

As for the OP, I think its an excellent post with which I pretty much totally agree. We have no choice but to move forward, and while the proof of the pudding  is in the tasting I have to give credit to Gunny''s team for an exciting and promising close season ( and I think there will still be more to come).

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Cherub, your post makes me happier than most I suspect. It has never been important to me who is right or wrong. You have always had the ability to articulate your thoughts very well and now, having allowed yourself to put your bias aside, will undoubtedly provide the more balanced input that you so capably demonstrated in your earlier posting period. Well done.

[/quote]

I think that''s what is known as "damning with faint praise".  How about allowing yourself to stop putting people down Yankee?  Try treating your fellow posters as equals just for once.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

I think that''s what is known as "damning with faint praise".  How about allowing yourself to stop putting people down Yankee?  Try treating your fellow posters as equals just for once.

[/quote]YCI normally see you as one of the more balanced posters on here, but I must admit I cringed when I read your post. I''m sure you didn''t mean it but it comes across as really patronising.  [:-*]

fantastic post, I also think that Doncaster, who at times I''ve thought quite well of has indeed been the problem. History will show wether McNally makes us or bankrupts us, My hunch is that he''s doing a great job. As for the family club bit< I half agree but it is also nice to feel part of something, thats human nature. I feel thats whats trying to be achieved and to be fair in our better seasons was succesfull

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha.... Well suck my socks!

What a bag of vomit.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe you''re my equal Cherub. Obviously, to draw the reaction that I did from you and Yelverton, I could have worded my input better. Nonetheless, I''m looking forward to your future posts.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="CT "][quote user="canary cherub "]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You do realise that the Purist Group is an elaborate joke don''t you? There is in fact no such thing, which makes your persistent pathetic attempts to win Cluck''s favour seem more and more sad.

As for the OP, I think its an excellent post with which I pretty much totally agree. We have no choice but to move forward, and while the proof of the pudding  is in the tasting I have to give credit to Gunny''s team for an exciting and promising close season ( and I think there will still be more to come).

[/quote]

I''m glad it''s not just me that''s spotted the growing annoyance of long-neck!

Good opening post. I think the only people who are against moving onwards are those that are so entrenched in their hatred of Delia Smith, which is strange because any decisions of import were made by the board as a whole not by her as an individual. The celebrity element they claim to despise seems to be the very thing that they are most guilty of focussing on.

Very rarely in life do you get a totally clean slate and you have to "watch the things you gave your life to broken, and stoop and build them up with worn out tools" (apologies to Kipling if that''s not verbatim, it''s late and I''m old). Gunn has, on paper anyway, done a very good job over the summer, ably assisted by a seemingly positive new Chief Exec. Things are appearing brighter and lets enjoy that while we can because it''s been doom and gloom for too long.

Nice to read a post from you again Mystic. I can relate with some of what you say, but despite some fans'' delight in a Doncaster free zone, I can''t help feel that though he did contribute to some of our more memorable "bad times" he was ultimately an employee with someone higher up pulling his strings. That being the case, we will all have to hope (another big in word with the board) that the new personnel have greater quality in all areas which will in turn help to turn the club around.

But for me the same regime still holds top spot, and unless (or until) it''s obvious there has been a massive overall change in their thinking - and more importantly their actions, I really can''t see myself warming to much that happens off the pitch.

Investment, ah yes. How hard that vital ingredient was worked for and sourced we will never know. If Notts County can attract the likes of Sven, then what about us? Who is working to bring NCFC to the attention of those who can build us up again to something like the force we were in the 80s and 90s? Delia and Michael I am afraid were totally responsible for the way Doncaster worked while he was at NCFC and sadly it will take a good number of years before we are back to anything like the good old Norwich City of old, both on and off the pitch.

The happy clappy element is just a symptom. We need to address the causes for our demise. No, it''s not the fans, and ultimately its not even the managers or players. It''s the whole ethos of Delia and Michael''s Norwich City Football Club, and until that changes I will have to remain on the outside of the acceptance club.

I''m really hoping the new CE is the chap to enforce change, concerning the way the club has been run so incompetently and without acceptability or responsibility - for well over a decade.

I always felt that the previous CE was more than likely protecting his own interests as opposed to NCFCs....and thought he was less focused on the ''core product'' than the other business interests he was connected to.... I also personally believe that if it wasn''t for the marketing nous of Andrew Cullen and other folk behind the scenes - we''d have nose-dived a lot sooner than last-season.

Although I, (at this present time) feel a lot less cynical since the appointment of Mr Mac, as it now seems to be about the football.....and I personally think that they will make us a more attractive proposition to a potential buyers or financiers - than the hurriedly recruited Mr Keith Harris. 

I will allow Mr Mac and the new Chairman (certainly seems to be more about him than Mr Munby) the time to get the seized and broken machinery rolling again, before reassessing their role and contribution....

Regarding the appointment of Mr Archant to the board? Nope, I will remain cautious, and will do so for the foreseeable future....

What about the major-shareholding Stowmarket Two?....They are control-freaks. They are so very reluctant to release the reins of their baby, and until they accept and realise that for their baby to develop into a strapping lad....they''ve just got to let go....They are the stumbling block for our development and future - and are just as responsible and culpable for the free-fall of the football at Carrow Road - than the recently departed CE.

Now, to keep certain folk happy - it''s back to being Colin..... 

[quote user="canary cherub "]

OTBC

[/quote]

Signing players during a  closed season is irrelevant, it`s how well the team does in Division 1 that counts. It happens every summer, people start getting optimistic based on very little hard fact, within half a dozen games their whinging again when they realise we have signed a pile of poo .The only thing to be pleased about for me is that the best player close season has been Tom Adiembi, who was always going to shine through as a class act, he`s been the outstanding player in the Accademy for a number of years, his move into the first team has always been inevitable and Gunn is not the man to credit for this. 

Doncaster has a lot to answer for agreed, ultimately he was a paid employee, to place our demise substantially at his doorstep is very low quality spin. Delia  runs the club, anyone that has any insight into what goes on behind the scenes knows that, nothing is done without her first being convinced it was her idea, if she farts they all put their hands up. The buck stops with her and we should never forget that!     

Whether the hatchet gets buried or not depends on the performance on the pitch. For all the hot air spouted footballers, managers, coaches and directors are only as good as the results of their team. Turn the clock back to May 2004 and the thousands outside City Hall cheering and paying homage to everything that''s yellow and green. Worthington''s green and yellow army? You bet we were. Delia''s barmy army? You better believe it! All of us too, not a dissenting voice in the house. Even Delia''s dear old mum got our adulation. Of course we can pretend we weren''t part of that but for those who do maybe you could point me to a post at the time saying so. No it was a happy ship, fans were even looking forward to the hotel being built!

It''s not new either. Us fans look back fondly at the better years under earlier regimes but they all fell foul too. Big Bob was a hero when we were top of the Premiership and then playing in Europe. No Chase out banners to be seen. But as it all fell apart his hatchet appeared and is only buried again now because of the passage of time. An even faster turn arould occurred in the 80''s when we won the Milk Cup but got relegated a couple of months later. Poor old Sir Arthur had to endure a summer of board out letters to the press in those pre-internet days.

If we win the league this season us fans will bury the hatchet and flock to City Hall waving our knickers at anyone who appears on the balcony. If it''s yet another disappointing season the hatchets will be out in force at St Andrews Hall.

I for one have no idea which it will be.

On the evidence of the first half yesterday, and with Hughes and a few others to come in / gel, we have a team that can win the division.  Oh and when Clingan/Russell money comes, probably around 500K in the bank for a signing/loan boost in January.As some of you know I was disgusted with the last few seasons, but what I am seeing on and off the pitch in the past few weeks is a world away from the chaos of Grant and Roeder and the damage they did.We have a youth team with some class and a surplus of professionals that means we can actually play a proper reserve team again.  We have two players in each position.  We have a squad that on paper and early evidence can take on anyone in L1.Positive.  You bet your saintly asses I am.

A bridge far too far for me, if they''e looking tired then it even more important that they quit, only then, will our club rise again.

[quote user="First Wizard"]A bridge far too far for me, if they''e looking tired then it even more important that they quit, only then, will our club rise again.[/quote]

Oh for an edit button!

I should point out that my strong views on Delia are unchanged,  she has to go and go quick, however, the new board get some breathing space for a little while, they deserve a fai crack of the whip.