Sign in to follow this  
Paradox

I Have the Answer to our problem!!

Right, after watching the match on Saturday & seeing us utterly humiliated against a very very good side, I think I have worked out our best starting 11 and the positions:

Firstly, Greeno at No1.

Across the back, no suprises, Drury-Charlton-Flemming-Eddie or Helveg

Midfield: I''m going with quick attacking wingers & strength & robustness in the middle. Therefore, On the right we have young Bentley, in the middle Safri & Francis, and on the left, Huckerby.

I''m bound to get criticism for the inclusion of Hux in midfield, but HE IS NOT A STRIKER!!! He is our pacy winger that chips in with goals. He plays in the same style as Pires, Giggs, Duff, etc. He is not a natural goal scorer - when was the last time you saw him toe poke one home or rise at the far post to nod one in? NEVER!

Besides, at the moment, he rarely gets the ball as the people we play accross the middle (Holt, etc) do not have the flair to get past their man to pass to him, therefore argubly our best player is redundant.

So strength in the middle & young pace & flair on the wings - that is what the best sides in the Premiership have.

Which means who the **** do we have up front? MacKenzie for sure. Then we lack the other striker. For now maybe try Jarvis. If not, dare I say it - Svenson?

Come the Jan sales, I''m sure we will get a good (£1m - £2m)striker as the board will have had enough of watching our lack of finishing. Maybee Ashton, maybee Hartson, I dunno.

(PS: This Van Persie guy at Arsenal - he''s not playing at present. Is he an out and out striker - Could we loan him?)

Let me know your thoughts about my ideas on this formation.

[quote]Right, after watching the match on Saturday & seeing us utterly humiliated against a very very good side, I think I have worked out our best starting 11 and the positions: Firstly, Greeno at No1....[/quote]

No no no no Paradox !  ..... Hucks IS a striker !!!!!  ... at the risk of repeating myself , ad nauseum ,, his goals  got mancity back into the prem  ! ......  his GOALS got US back into the prem !!! .........  a striker .... is a STRIKER .......  ergo , he scores , or makes goals ....... What DOES he have to do to prove this , eh ???

TOTALLY AGREE PARADOX.

Although I am not too sure about Jarvis up front. I think Svensson and Mckenzie for sure, but maybe Paul McVeigh on the right and Bentley up front.

The difference between Duff/Giggs/Pires and Huckerby, is that when the opposition has the ball they track back and don''t put their hands on their hips and stroll back onside. This makes him a striker, if he ran back to defend he''d be a decent left winger (he didn''t do it last year but we coped without it, but this year we''d be killed)

If he was played as a winger (Ie to get crosses in for the ''nod in at the back post'') then he''d have to be right winger as he cant cross with good consistancy with his left, the reason he goes to the left is so he can cut inside and shoot - Like a striker.

With a derth of strikers around I was gutted to see Werder Bremen come back from one down and then see Charisteas score the winner after coming of the bench - I was hoping they would have an early exit and a disenchanted greek international would like a half season in the prem on loan.

Another disenchanted international sitting on a bench and out of favour, who we could launch a cheeky bid forcome jan is, a certain michael owen ;-)

Ah well - I can dream as much as the fans who expect to see us mid-table come the end of the season.

As far as a team goes I agree with sheded that Hux is a striker not a winger and playing him left wing will weaken our defence left side, hux is a lazy burger when it comes top tracking back I would rather he use his energy burning forward than tracking back. However if he does play left wing I would go with Jonson and Mackenzie up front; pacy and strong could cause problems when supported by a midfield of Bentley/McVeigh, HUx, Safri and Francis.

If we can agree on positions/formations are we surprised Worthy is still searching for that winning combination?

OTBC

I have to admire your one man crusade to get Charisteas in the yellow and greem Zipper!! I think he''d have been a great catch but didn''t really see it happening.

I''m a big Ashton fan but it''s a really tough call. Bringing him in could so easily turn out to be the club''s best ever signing or equally be a mistake big enough to get us relegated.
The risk remains in his lack of experience at Premiership level. John Stead may be proof that it IS possible to make the step up and in his case make it look easy but i wonder if he is the exception rather than the rule! Still, true class and the right footballing foundations at youth level that places like Crewe provide, ought to always shine through. Rivers had the talent but never the right attitude, mentality and approach to the game. I think McKenzie has that in spades, but does he have the talent? If every player had McKenzie''s attitude we''d be ok - i think the guy''s a star!

If had to decide, i''d take the plunge and go for Ashton. He''s the kind of forward player we are looking for, unlike Harewood, Johansson and others, he seems to have the right attitude from what i''ve heard from Crewe fans, if the worst did happen he MAY stick around, and he''s (hopefully) just about affordable. But won''t be for much longer!

Decision time Nigel

I have to agree that The Greek is only a pipe dream - what concerns me is that while I think Ashton would be a good investment for the club will he be able to deliver this year - and that is what we really need; a proven striker at the top level who can add some potency this year - Ashton is still a promising novice - and like Bentley his time will come but will it be quick enough for City? Owen was just a larf.Most of the other options are not much, if any, better than Leon or teh other strikers we have - Harewood scored fewer goals than leon per startso why would he be better? In England there really are few options.OTBC