Sign in to follow this  
CanaryJames

Cureton Going?

There was a poster on here who said a few days ago that "when (not if) Holt signs, Cureton will be off to Barnsley".

Any ideas if this is true? What would people think of that?

If we could get any decent money for him, then I''d move him on, but only after we''ve got Maric (or another striker) in permanently. Then I''d like us to bring in another striker on loan for a year just to add a bit more depth.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]

There was a poster on here who said a few days ago that "when (not if) Holt signs, Cureton will be off to Barnsley".

Any ideas if this is true? What would people think of that?

If we could get any decent money for him, then I''d move him on, but only after we''ve got Maric (or another striker) in permanently. Then I''d like us to bring in another striker on loan for a year just to add a bit more depth.

[/quote]Can''t see someone who''s "City through and through" being ousted out by Gunn and co.

Gunn did say something a while back - probably around a month into his inital role - about (paraphrasing here) - "it''s harsh sometimes, as there are people who want to play for you, but who may not be up to it. There''s only so many chances you can give".

So I wouldn''t be certain he''s a guaranteed stay-er. Still, for now I do think Cureton will still be here next season, but like I said, wouldn''t turn down a decent offer.

I hope not, Cody''s not yet proven and we just dont know with Martin, Cureton may storm it this season alongside Holt.Bit dissapointed that Holt isnt 6''''2 plus tho. He''s only just a target man at 6''''0 so were still looking for a proper target man.

"Bit dissapointed that Holt isnt 6''''2 plus tho. He''s only just a target man at 6''''0 so were still looking for a proper target man."

But he knows how to score, which is more important than being 2" taller.  Otherwise we may just as well go out on the street and offer some 6'' 7" person a contract.

Despite all my criticism of him last season he still has a bit to play,  we have no experience in the fron line and an injury to cody or holt and we are left very thin - definite to keep I think.

And I still want us to sign Maric 

No we''re not. Holt has been used as a target man for the past couple of seasons and has scored a lot of goals. I suppose you''d prefer Alan Lee as a "target man", who is probably shorter than Holt!!?? Maric isn''t exactly a target man either, but both of these players know how to head a ball and Holt is strong at holding the ball up. He covers a lot of ground too, so I think we''ve got a good hard working player who knows where the back of the net is and will bring other people into play.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Twisting this round, if you want Cuo out you''d be happier with McSmall instead?.........madness![:|][/quote]i would rather have curo...i cant understand wht we signed small mcviegh? i suppose he was a free and could be a good squad player

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="First Wizard"]Twisting this round, if you want Cuo out you''d be happier with McSmall instead?.........madness![:|][/quote]i would rather have curo...i cant understand wht we signed small mcviegh? i suppose he was a free and could be a good squad player[/quote]

Plus, being a mate of Gunn helped a bit CTID

As Cam keeps on saying when Cureton played at his best for Col Who, it was playing off a big target man ie Chris Illumo (please excuse spelling). I don`t think Holt fits the natural target man figure but his pressence may well be a better foil for Cureton than anyone else we`ve had here for the last 2 seasons.  As league one is a slightly easier division than the championship, where strikers a likely to get an extra half yard, I think Cureton could do well. As long as he keeps his confidence. Jamie is definately a confidence player, and Gunn needs to use the carrott rather than the stick on him.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="First Wizard"]Twisting this round, if you want Cuo out you''d be happier with McSmall instead?.........madness![:|][/quote]i would rather have curo...i cant understand wht we signed small mcviegh? i suppose he was a free and could be a good squad player[/quote]

[/quote]i do hope curo finds his scoring boots this season Wiz...if not i fear he will get slated...IF he does go to barnsley for a fee i think it would be good business...i know you have a big soft spot for him Wiz but a fee for a 33 year old who had a very poor season last year is good for NORWICH dont ya think??

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]i do hope curo finds his scoring boots this season Wiz...if not i fear he will get slated...IF he does go to barnsley for a fee i think it would be good business...i know you have a big soft spot for him Wiz but a fee for a 33 year old who had a very poor season last year is good for NORWICH dont ya think??[/quote]

In pinciple and in the short term.................yes. Long term?...........Hmm.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Twisting this round, if you want Cuo out you''d be happier with McSmall instead?.........madness![:|][/quote]

No I wouldn''t. I''d be happier with an out-and-out striker than Cureton, not McVeigh, who is a winger (or someone to play behind the strikers). That said, going on last seasons efforts, Mcveigh is a better finisher, and I for one am glad we''ve signed him as he''ll add depth if Hoolahan were to get injured again - something that was huge in our relegation, as we had no replacement.

Don''t understand all this "he''ll be good at League One" thing. It''s not like the goals expand...I''m not being harsh on him, and I''m not even saying I want him to leave. Simply suggesting that if Maric became available, I''d consider it due to his age and wages, as it would make sense to ditch an ageing high-earner and bring younger players in on less cash.

And Wiz...give it a rest. All this "mate of Gunn" rubbish about McVeigh is ridiculous. Do you honestly think Jamie boy would still be here if he didn''t have the "loves the club" and "knows the coaching staff" thing going for him? Without those two things he would be absolutely lynched by everyone who goes to Carrow Road (not you though, seeing as you don''t).

[quote user="First Wizard"]Twisting this round, if you want Cuo out you''d be happier with McSmall instead?.........madness![:|][/quote]

No I wouldn''t. I''d be happier with an out-and-out striker than Cureton, not McVeigh, who is a winger (or someone to play behind the strikers). That said, going on last seasons efforts, Mcveigh is a better finisher, and I for one am glad we''ve signed him as he''ll add depth if Hoolahan were to get injured again - something that was huge in our relegation, as we had no replacement.

Don''t understand all this "he''ll be good at League One" thing. It''s not like the goals expand...I''m not being harsh on him, and I''m not even saying I want him to leave. Simply suggesting that if Maric became available, I''d consider it due to his age and wages, as it would make sense to ditch an ageing high-earner and bring younger players in on less cash.

And Wiz...give it a rest. All this "mate of Gunn" rubbish about McVeigh is ridiculous. Do you honestly think Jamie boy would still be here if he didn''t have the "loves the club" and "knows the coaching staff" thing going for him? Without those two things he would be absolutely lynched by everyone who goes to Carrow Road (not you though, seeing as you don''t).

[/quote]WES HOOLAHAN !!!   i still think we need another striker and a right back    would love to see Ricky Lambert

Gunn did say something a while back - probably around a month into his inital role - about (paraphrasing here) - "it''s harsh sometimes, as there are people who want to play for you, but who may not be up to it. There''s only so many chances you can give".

So I wouldn''t be certain he''s a guaranteed stay-er. Still, for now I do think Cureton will still be here next season, but like I said, wouldn''t turn down a decent offer.

[/quote]

well, he''s the manager so he must make the decisions!

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="CanaryJames"]

[/quote]WES HOOLAHAN !!!   i still think we need another striker and a right back    would love to see Ricky Lambert[/quote]

Exactly. Hoolahan as first choice, McVeigh as back-up. A damn slight better than what we replaced Hoolahan with last year - nothing.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="First Wizard"]Twisting this round, if you want Cuo out you''d be happier with McSmall instead?.........madness![:|][/quote]i would rather have curo...i cant understand wht we signed small mcviegh? i suppose he was a free and could be a good squad player[/quote]I shall enlighten you then.Cureton has been described in the past as a natural finisher, a poacher, a player that knows where the goal is. Essentially that is it, he isnt a creative player, he hasnt got buckets of skill. He is a finisher.McVeigh on the other hand is much more than that. He can take set pieces, he has skill, he has technical ability - he is more of a back up for Hoolahan than a back up striker.When you look at what a player can give a team you can look at the likes of Clingan who works hard and does what is meant to well - there are many of those players about. But when you are lookng for a player that can turn a game on its head with a moment of pure genius, a match winner, someone that has that added extra something, no matter how much hard work they give they dont always have it.Huckerby had that, Hoolahan has that, McVeigh has that - Cureton in my opinion does not. Sure he can score goals and thats what wins you games but the likes of the three mentioned can score or create goals in situations you would not expect them to such as against the run of play. Think McVeigh''s goal against Man U - Hoolahans long range blinder etc.

[quote user="Barclayman (your Carrow Road SuperHero)"]I hope not, Cody''s not yet proven and we just dont know with Martin, Cureton may storm it this season alongside Holt.

Bit dissapointed that Holt isnt 6''''2 plus tho. He''s only just a target man at 6''''0 so were still looking for a proper target man.
[/quote

well, curo does well ith a target man so this could be a good combo!!

chicken - I salute you! Exactly what I''m trying to say.

McVeigh''s job is to create chances, Cureton''s to score them.

I believe McVeigh still has the natural talent to do what is required of him when needed (he will be a back-up to Whaley and Hoolahan I''m presuming). I''m not sure Cureton does. Time will tell.

Without those two things he would be absolutely lynched by everyone who goes to Carrow Road (not you though, seeing as you don''t).

[/quote]

A word to the wise James for any cheap shots you wish to sling my way in the future.............as a paid up member I do get to Carrow road every season, not as often as I like, but I do.

No, don''t apologise.............you would only choke on it![:|]

Going on the evidence of last year, I think Cureton has lost his scoring instinct and, as others have said, that leaves very little to work with. I would give him a chance but, if he again fails to convert the easy chances that he did last year, I''d ship him out pdq to avoid other players becoming frustrated at their creativity going to waste.

A word to the wise James for any cheap shots you wish to sling my way in the future.............as a paid up member I do get to Carrow road every season, not as often as I like, but I do.

No, don''t apologise.............you would only choke on it

You are the master of cheap shots! And I have nothing to apologise for. After all, it was you who called me and 19,999 odd other people a whole barrage of things for renewing season tickets, which never resulted in an apology from you, so....

Still, that is your hypocritical and condescending nature.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="First Wizard"]Twisting this round, if you want Cuo out you''d be happier with McSmall instead?.........madness![:|][/quote]i would rather have curo...i cant understand wht we signed small mcviegh? i suppose he was a free and could be a good squad player[/quote]

I shall enlighten you then.

Cureton has been described in the past as a natural finisher, a poacher, a player that knows where the goal is. Essentially that is it, he isnt a creative player, he hasnt got buckets of skill. He is a finisher.

McVeigh on the other hand is much more than that. He can take set pieces, he has skill, he has technical ability - he is more of a back up for Hoolahan than a back up striker.

When you look at what a player can give a team you can look at the likes of Clingan who works hard and does what is meant to well - there are many of those players about. But when you are lookng for a player that can turn a game on its head with a moment of pure genius, a match winner, someone that has that added extra something, no matter how much hard work they give they dont always have it.

Huckerby had that, Hoolahan has that, McVeigh has that - Cureton in my opinion does not. Sure he can score goals and thats what wins you games but the likes of the three mentioned can score or create goals in situations you would not expect them to such as against the run of play. Think McVeigh''s goal against Man U - Hoolahans long range blinder etc.
[/quote]

100% spot on Yes [Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Twisting this round, if you want Cuo out you''d be happier with McSmall instead?.........madness![:|][/quote]McVeigh''s a midfielder and his job is to create goals.  Cureton''s job is to score goals and he isn''t up to it.

[quote user="King Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]Twisting this round, if you want Cuo out you''d be happier with McSmall instead?.........madness![:|][/quote]

McVeigh''s a midfielder and his job is to create goals.  Cureton''s job is to score goals and he isn''t up to it.
[/quote]

Thanks you Sire. What I tried to explain to Wiz but he ignored it...

You are the master of cheap shots! And I have nothing to apologise for. After all, it was you who called me and 19,999 odd other people a whole barrage of things for renewing season tickets, which never resulted in an apology from you, so....

[/quote]

Typical of you James, you stated an untruth/lie about me then squirm when its corrected by me, transparent and your not worth my time.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="CanaryJames"]

[/quote]

Typical of you James, you stated an untruth/lie about me then squirm when it''s corrected by me, transparent and you''re not worth my time.

[/quote]

[quote user="Iwan is God"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="CanaryJames"]

[/quote]

Typical of you James, you stated an untruth/lie about me then squirm when it''s corrected by me, transparent and you''re not worth my time.

[/quote][/quote]

I know that one Iwan, sadly my fingers don''t![;)]