Sign in to follow this  
jacks ncfc

doherty handed armband

doherty has been given the armband for this season and says wearing it will make him a better player,gunn has chosen the right person for the armband  as he played very well last season as he got stuck in and is nt affraid to shout at the players which is something he needs to do to cureton and semmy

If the armband makes him more verbal as he says it''s worth him having it, there''s no doubt he leads from the front but needs to organise those around him, a necessity for a full back

He should not be captain! He is AWFUL! Gave away ANOTHER penalty yesterday! When will he learn?

Disagree. The captain should be an automatic pick for the first XI. Remember when Andy Hughes was given the captaincy but wasn''t really worth his place? Apart from Doc, how many of our players could you say were definite starters? Gill and Nelson will face competition to become established in the first-team.

My big fear for this season is the sheer number of new players and the potential lack of established leaders. Doc (for all his faults) is a key player for us this year

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"]He should not be captain! He is AWFUL! Gave away ANOTHER penalty yesterday! When will he learn?[/quote]Why, how many penalties did he give away last season?

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="kiwiNCFC"]He should not be captain! He is AWFUL! Gave away ANOTHER penalty yesterday! When will he learn?[/quote]Why, how many penalties did he give away last season?[/quote]31, it''s unbelievable.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="kiwiNCFC"]He should not be captain! He is AWFUL! Gave away ANOTHER penalty yesterday! When will he learn?[/quote]Why, how many penalties did he give away last season?[/quote]At least 5

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"]At least 5[/quote]I want to see the statistics please, as to who gave away how many penalties. Do that, and I''ll agree. I''d do it myself, but I can''t be arsed.

7 and 4 direct free kicks which also lead to 3 goals so yes he is and will always be a donkey, yesterday was a sign of things to come next season, pity Clingon has gone he would have been my choice

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"][quote user="Mook"][quote user="kiwiNCFC"]He should not be captain! He is AWFUL! Gave away ANOTHER penalty yesterday! When will he learn?[/quote]Why, how many penalties did he give away last season?[/quote]At least 5[/quote]I can only think of one from the top of my head, which was against Bristol, which he got sent off for, the red card was later taken away as it showed it was a superb tackle from the Doc but obviously the penalty still stood. I know he probably gave away a couple more, but who didn''t from our defence? Especially in the first part of the season, I think Dejan gave away more penaltys in about 10 games than Doc did all season, and perhaps the reason the Doc gives away more free kicks than any other defender, is because he has the balls to actually make a tackle.

[quote user="pete_norw"]7 and 4 direct free kicks which also lead to 3 goals so yes he is and will always be a donkey, yesterday was a sign of things to come next season, pity Clingon has gone he would have been my choice[/quote]Seven penalties in one season? B*ll*cks.

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"][quote user="Mook"][quote user="kiwiNCFC"]He should not be captain! He is AWFUL! Gave away ANOTHER penalty yesterday! When will he learn?[/quote]Why, how many penalties did he give away last season?[/quote]At least 5[/quote]He gave away two, one of which was never a penalty. Fact.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]He gave away two, one of which was never a penalty. Fact.[/quote]So, one penalty in a season (for a centre back), and that makes people complain?????????Thanks for that statistic Graham. Care to comment on that stat, Doc haters?

Fester gets the unwarranted chance to start a fresh season with a clean slate; he acquires a whole bunch of new players and still insists on giving the armband to an also-ran who shouldn''t even be here! It''s akin to handing the whole squad a f*cking noose!To be honest, I don''t know why I''m shouting and sounding surprised, because it''s not as though I didn''t expect it. Thankfully, I can witness a decent manager at work in getting my second team, Luton, back in the League this coming season.

Sorry Mook. Your defence of Muffin is stout but how often did you see him perform a full 90 minutes last season, or any other season for that matter?

The boy has obviously a heart of gold and always gives his all but he ''aint good enough - never has been - for us or Spurs!!!

I thought Doc was one of our more reliable players last season (though that''s not saying a lot given that we were relegated)), that plus the fact that he is currently third (to Drury and Russell) in terms of appearances for the club, it is fair enough to make him captain.

As to the pens, we certainly had plenty given against us last season - several of them dodgy - but Doc was responsible for v few. Think I''m right in saying that Clingan gave more away - can def remember 2 of his, and think there were more.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Sorry Mook. Your defence of Muffin is stout but how often did you see him perform a full 90 minutes last season, or any other season for that matter?

The boy has obviously a heart of gold and always gives his all but he ''aint good enough - never has been - for us or Spurs!!![/quote]No need to apologies, BY. I''ve seen him many times in the past 5 years he''s been at the club, although by no means am I a season ticket holder. But that also means that I don''t pick up on the "mob mentality" of pack dislike - let''s face it, fans pick up on who is in vogue, and who isn''t. So I consider myself to have an objective point of view, but perhaps I''m just uneducated and I need teaching.He''s not pretty to watch, that much I know. Perhaps it doesn''t instill confidence in the fans, but this isn''t about instilling confidence in the fans - it''s about getting the job done. The amount of goals he stops with his "body on the line" approach far outweighs the free kicks given away around the box.Anyway, I don''t know why I bother, I honestly don''t. It''s not like I desperately want him in the team, or hope he''s never replaced by someone better, but we don''t have anyone better and haven''t had for some time.It''s just when I see people quoting ridiculous lies as fact, (seven penalties! Ha!) I think it''s only fair to point out that they are talking rubbish.

Fair comment mate. I don''t agree with your analysis. It''s difficult on this board (like others) to try and sort out the wheat from the chaff if you get my drift!!

We all want the same for the club and I''m more positive now than for a long time. I am no Delia/MWJ lover. Some of the comments and decisions over the last few years have been truly dreadful but I think we may just have turned the corner.

The news of Doc being made captain is not conducive to that opinion.

I can undersstand him getting thw armband, but to me there is no obviously good choice at this point. I do agree that the Doc is far from a great defender, he is rather clumsy at times and gets done for pace fairly easily. Despite that, not sure who else could be captain really.