Sign in to follow this  
Mr. T

Those who are against Doc for captain.....

You should consider again. anyone who went to the man u game would have seen in the first half (with Doc) we were solid at the back, second half (without Doc) we were all over the place! So he was obviously organising his defence well and the armband is only going to make him a better player!!!

All I will say is that he gave away his ''usual'' penalty.

He is so slow on the turn and to tackle at that point was quite frankly stupid.

He is such a frustrating player. Gives his all but always frightens me to death. You never know what he''s going to do next.

A lovely old boy but will cost us essential points this season. Captain? Well if he is club captain that''s fine but leave him on the bench pllllease.

If this is how Gunn is going to continue this season then he hasn''t learnt from last.

I have to say this is the first negative news this close season!

Yeh! He gave away yet ANOTHER penalty AND in the first half a harmless ball was coming towards him and he sliced it in the air and then it caused trouble! He is a liability!!

[quote user="Hucks is Legend"]You should consider again. anyone who went to the man u game would have seen in the first half (with Doc) we were solid at the back, second half (without Doc) we were all over the place! So he was obviously organising his defence well and the armband is only going to make him a better player!!![/quote]

dont know if it will make him a better player,but he is a solid club player!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]

Gives his all but always frightens me to death. You never know what he''s going to do next.  [/quote]

Of all the names we''ve had on our team sheets the last 2 or 3 years Gary Doherty is probably the one that has worried me least. Infact, he never worries me at all. I''m pleased to see his name on it.

You know exactly what you''ll get from him. He''s a strong, solid defender, reads the game well and plays sensibly.

His individual performance last season didn''t deserve relegation. I''m glad he''s still here and I hope he can lead us to promotion.

[quote user="Hucks is Legend"]You should consider again. anyone who went to the man u game would have seen in the first half (with Doc) we were solid at the back, second half (without Doc) we were all over the place! So he was obviously organising his defence well and the armband is only going to make him a better player!!![/quote]

Didn''t organise his defence very well last year, did he. Well done to him for defending against kids. He''s not a leader so give the armband to someone else and get him out of the team.

He''s not my type of player. He never looks comfortable and always seems on the edge. He actually frightens me when the ball comes near him, or some one passes it to him when he''s being pressed. No where near as confident and composed on the ball as Dejan. Stef is comfortable bringing the ball out of the box and bridging the gap from defence to midfield. All the Doc does is bypass midfield and hoof it up the field to little effect. Shouldn''t be in our 11 and definately shouldn''t be our captain!

To all the people that say he costs the team points, maybe you should go back and look at the stats when he''s in the team and isn''t, without him we conceed more goals and gain less points, FACT!

But dont let that get in the way of you slaggin off one of our better players because they dont look like a conventional footballer

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]He''s not my type of player. He never looks comfortable and always seems on the edge. He actually frightens me when the ball comes near him, or some one passes it to him when he''s being pressed. No where near as confident and composed on the ball as Dejan. Stef is comfortable bringing the ball out of the box and bridging the gap from defence to midfield. All the Doc does is bypass midfield and hoof it up the field to little effect. Shouldn''t be in our 11 and definately shouldn''t be our captain![/quote]Yet Dejan gave away more penaltys in about 10 games than the Doc did all season, and got himself sent off for mouthing of to the referee. The Doc was solid last year, deserved player of the season imo

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"] No where near as confident and composed on the ball as Dejan. Stef is comfortable bringing the ball out of the box and bridging the gap from defence to midfield. All the Doc does is bypass midfield and hoof it up the field to little effect. Shouldn''t be in our 11 and definately shouldn''t be our captain![/quote]

Dejan might have a better eye for a pass but personally I rate defenders for how they defend. Being a good ball player is the icing on the cake.

What about when Dejan nods off and gets caught out of position or lets someone get by him too easy? What about his horrendous lack of pace to stick with a runner or recover after a mistake?

Dejan had a couple of very good performances for us last season (particularly Birmingham at home) but in general he was a mixed bag and was, at times, a liability.

I think most people, who have an open mind/don''t have it in for Doherty, know he was our best defender last season. Better than Dejan and Kennedy.

Yep the Doc is so stunning, loads of clubs from the Championship and League one and two were desperate to sign him.

We need some class and composure in an important position and the dear old boy has neither.

Oh, and in the early part of last season when he couldn''t get in the team our defence looked superb.

I hope I''m wrong but if Gunn uses his considerable experience as Manager to put the Doc as his first choice then we are Lappinitupped!!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Yep the Doc is so stunning, loads of clubs from the Championship and League one and two were desperate to sign him.

We need some class and composure in an important position and the dear old boy has neither.

Oh, and in the early part of last season when he couldn''t get in the team our defence looked superb.

I hope I''m wrong but if Gunn uses his considerable experience as Manager to put the Doc as his first choice then we are Lappinitupped!![/quote]Ok BY. No more lies. Here''s the start of last season for you, in glorious technicolour....Coventry 2-0 Norwich (Clingan gave away a pen)Mk Dons 1-0 NorwichNorwich 1-1 Blackpool (Omozusi gave away a pen)Cardiff 2-2 Norwich (Kennedy gave away a pen)Norwich 1-1 BirminghamPlymouth 1-2 Norwich (amazing! We won but still no clean sheet)Norwich 0-1 QPR (ooops, still no clean sheet)Norwich 1-0 Shef Utd (hooray, a clean sheet)Barnsley 0-0 Norwich (and another)Southampton 2-0 Norwich (Stefanovic gave away a pen)Norwich 1-2 Derby (Ooops, drury and marshall collided and they scored the winner with 10 men)So there you go - Doc back in next match. That''s the part of the season when our defence looked.... how did you phrase it? ..... "superb". Seems you have a rather cloudy memory there, BY. Shame this pesky internet gives me access to the match reports. Not that it''ll stop you or anyone else thinking it''s all the Doc''s fault.

Just saw your post on the other thread (why do there have to be 2 threads?!) so .... sorry! I just got a bit carried away with the old archived match reports.... Interesting though, our defence was indeed quite crap with Doc. Although it remained quite crap when I came back I guess, otherwise we wouldn''t have been relegated!

[quote user="one 4 the future"]am i the only one that thinks there mouse is f**ked when they read kiwi''s posts so annoying!Not anymore.[8-)][/quote]No you''re not the only one

[quote user="one 4 the future"]Doesn''t this  ''none matching block''get on your tits.[:@][/quote]Yes it does, what does it mean anyway and why can''t it be sorted

Never post in the early hours Mook.

Saw all those games you diligently looked up.

My opinion of Doc is still the same. I don''t hate the bloke, just not good enough if we want to turn the club around.

Football, as life, is all about opinions. It''s just that I''m always right. Cough!!

Yeah but your opinion was that our defence looked superb when Doc wasn''t in the team, but history shows that it did in fact suck. Big time!

I have no qualms with your (or anyone elses) opinion on the Doc but don''t state facts that aren''t true to back it up.

Anyway, by all accounts he had another good game tonight, including clearing one off the line. I think we can safely say Gunny rates him, so I think we''re going to be seeing a fair bit more of him this season whether we like him or not.

You''re right about posting late though, I''ll not do that again.... d''oh!

[quote user="Mook"]Yeah but your opinion was that our defence looked superb when Doc wasn''t in the team, but history shows that it did in fact suck. Big time! I have no qualms with your (or anyone elses) opinion on the Doc but don''t state facts that aren''t true to back it up. Anyway, by all accounts he had another good game tonight, including clearing one off the line. I think we can safely say Gunny rates him, so I think we''re going to be seeing a fair bit more of him this season whether we like him or not. You''re right about posting late though, I''ll not do that again.... d''oh![/quote]

This always baffles me too but I think the truth maybe because Ginger Pele''s cock ups are always so memorable as anyone who was at Palace on NYD a couple of seasons ago will testify.

The Doc is ungainly and awkward looking and never fills fans with confidence although he does have the confidence of his team mates. A couple of seasons ago Dion Dublin played centre back and cost us countless goals but got no stick whatsoever because he "looked the part". The Doc covers for all his partners but gets the blame for their mistakes.

He''s a hugely respected senior professional at the club. In my book he deserved to be POS last year. He''s a good solid defender who will be first choice again this season. Not sure he''s the ideal captain because he''s not particularly inspirational or vocal but in his favour he has always had the respect of his team mates.

I wasn''t keen on the idea of Doc being made the captain but after speaking to one of the players today I feel a lot better. The players seem to really like the appointment and unlike Fotheringham  Doc likes to mix with ALL of the lads in and out of football time. There seems to be a lot of respect for Gary and he takes the time to listen to any problems they might have......thats more than good enough for me.