Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Are You Having Fun?

Let me ask posters a question. Are you really having fun and enjoying the Premiership games this year or did you have more fun last season? Obviously, we can all see that it’s only taken a few games for the moaners to surface, some even suggesting Nigel’s job may be in jeopardy.

Many, if not most, hate the diamond formation. Many want Gary Holt dropped, Obviously, more than the odd person is puzzled as to why McKenzie is not being given more opportunity. On the other side of the coin we have threads where some are wildly optimistic ( in my opinion ) and see us achieving 48 points this season. Of course, we all want to see our team do well but we have to be realistic.

To achieve 48 points Norwich would need to maintain a pace of 1.5 points per game from their next 21 games. A team that maintained that pace last season would have finished in fifth place in this division. Norwich are not capable of doing that. From a talent standpoint we have one of the weakest squads in the division.

We are not going to win many games at all. Any victory should be regarded as a great victory. Enjoy the Premiership. Give Nigel your support, he has only 7 games worth of Premiership experience as a manager. Enjoy the talent that you see on show from all teams because there’s only 31 games to go before we head straight back to where we came from. It’s true that I ( or anyone ) can not know this for sure but it requires a cockeyed optimist to reach any other conclusion.

Before the season got underway I divided the season up into 20% blocks, five series of seven games each. I left the three games at the tail end of the season to one side as insurance, albeit I was fairly certain we would need to take good results from these final games to have any chance of avoiding relegation.

Here is my assessment of points I expected us to yield from these blocks of games.

First Seven – 4 points

I expected us to achieve the 4 points that we have although, like many others, I was counting on a victory against Crystal Palace to be the big contributor to the 4 points.

Second Seven – 8 points

Portsmouth (H), WBA (A), Everton (H), Manchester City (A), Blackburn (H), Charlton (A), Southampton (H)

Third Seven – 6 points

Birmingham (A), Fulham (H), Bolton(H), Chelsea ( A), Spurs (H), Middlesbrough (A), Portsmouth (A)

Fourth Seven - 7 Points

Liverpool (H), Aston Villa (A), Middlesbrough (H), Everton (A), WBA (H), Blackburn (A), Manchester City (H)

Fifth Seven – 4 points

Chelsea (H), Bolton (A), Arsenal (A), Manchester United (H), Crystal Palace (A), Newcastle (H), Charlton (H)

Like many others I suspect, I don’t see us doing that well in the fifth block of seven games. Realistically, I don’t see us doing better than averaging a point a game in the middle 21 games. In my opinion this will see us stretched to reach thirty points coming into the last three games of the season, two of which are away from home against teams who may well be trying to avoid relegation themselves. Be supportive, be happy we are here, enjoy the moments as they come, carpe diem. It may be a while before they come again. If my opinion is wrong and we do better and survive, you moaners will still have had more fun by looking at things a little differently.

Yankee .....  we pay  a lot of money  to get through the turnstiles ........  think that entitles us to moan  !   .....   your a bit of a number cruncher !  .......  do you do graphs as well ........  trouble  with your method of prediction  is that there are too many variables  in football  .......  each match has twentytwo  individuals , each one  in varying degrees of form .....  some have been clubbing the night before  [ oh yes they do !! ]  ..and so the variables  stretch  into  the far distance  .......  then there`s that mystery factor .. Luck ! .....        

nah .. I`ll stick with  optimism and hope  ..... and I think  we`ll do a lot better than the idiot pundits  say we will, they , too ,  are stat lickers

Well my friend you may be having fun over in the big apple but the thought of travelling to Crewe, Rotherham etc. again after 10 years of doing so does not appeal.

Why should we accept that we have 1 year of fun only its just not on pal and things are not right on the pitch so we supporters have every right to "moan" as you call it. Never mind the thought of having the P*** ripped out of us by our friends in Suffolk.

Good question YC - but last season was a season of two halves, and I''m happier now than I was this time last season. Maybe we''ll see a similar revival this year, and finish as.... nahhh. Unless we can get Steven Gerrard on loan, because he can''t get back in the team.

That is such a defeatest and stupid thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

What exactly is your point?? Why are you thinking about such things??

If it is that you can say ''I was right at the end of the season'', and bask in your personal glory, then you are supporting the wrong team..  MATE!!

I hear the binmen are always on the lookout!!

I''m a bit annoyed at myself for even getting drawn into this crap, but I must say Yankee that the most interesting (and in turn highly suspicious) part of your drivel is that you "predicted" we would get four points thus far and HEY PRESTO we have!!

Have you tried Gridiron or whatever it is called? May be an idea eh? (That''s irony by the way)

Looking at this without my yellow and green tinted glasses I must admit I am a bit concerned as to where the points to avoid relegation are going to come from.  As far as I can see, every team in this league have the players who can create and score goals against us.  We have had to play to the top of our game to claim draws and it is hard to look down the fixture list and see 3 points.  No doubt we will win some games but it''s going to be hard and if we don''t perform to the best of our abilities we will see more defeats like Saturdays.

I don''t really go much for your points calculation Yankee but it was interesting.  I think a major point that has been overlooked though, is the concern that NW does not seem to know who his best 11 are and the team is constantly changing.  Rotation works for bigger clubs because of the quality and experience they have but we need continuaty and for the new players to to get to know each other but we are running out of time to do this.  We are 7 games into the season and we need to start getting some points on the board. 

Just a final point, why is it that when someone posts something unpopular, the replies are hardly ever relating to the post.  All we get is "Well if you don''t like it, go support Ipswich!" or something personal to the poster?

Just a final point, why is it that when someone posts something unpopular, the replies are hardly ever relating to the post. All we get is "Well if you don''t like it, go support Ipswich!" or something personal to the poster?

Here, here!!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and YankeeCanary has voiced his analysis on where he thinks City are going to pick up points this season. However, to slag him off because of what he has posted is more than a little petty and unfair.

If you disagree with his analysis attempt to counter it with analysis of your own explaining why you don''t agree.

I post in this forum rather than some others because for the most part there is argument and counter argument throughout a thread rather than petty insults and personal abuse.

YankeeC can you post an analysis of where you think points will come team by team or groups of teams. Say, from the games against:

Chelsea
Man Utd
Liverpool
Arsenal

you''d expect how many points? I say City would be lucky to get 4 points from the 12 on offer in these games.

Whilst against:

Newcastle
Everton
Middlesbrough
Tottenham
Aston Villa

I''d hope that City would pick up 8 to 12 points from these games.

As you go down the league you''d expect to pick up more points.

So instead of slagging off YankeeC come up with your own analysis on where points are going to come from.

Any team''s success depends upon its home record mainly, we are a good home team, if we can manage to win 2 out of three at home that will average out at two points per game, so with 16 home games left that will equal 32 pts.

We will need about 42pts to reach 17th place,we''ve got 4, so we need 6 points out of 48 from 16 away games !

Possible ?

YC, I agree with a number of your reasoned comments. What I do not agree with are some of the "you-think-that-Norwich-might-lose-some-games-so-you''re-talking-defeatist-crap" replies from some of the other posters. I think that the words ''Junior Member'' next to their User Names are significant. Just because you disagree with someone''s point of view, this should not be met with rude or aggressive rhetoric. 

MORPH!!

I can see where your cummin from, but with quotes such as:

"Norwich are not capable

one of the weakest squads in the division

there’s only 31 games to go before we head straight back"

Its just pure negativity, what does it achieve????

And on matchday that negativity can circulate onto the pitch and in books is not welcome!!!

[quote]Just a final point, why is it that when someone posts something unpopular, the replies are hardly ever relating to the post. All we get is "Well if you don''t like it, go support Ipswich!" or something...[/quote]

Speaking purely about my own post on this subject  , I put it to Yankee , and anyone else  who thinks that they can   predict  results  ,  that IF this was possible  , the pools  and bookies would be out of business years ago ! ......   you just CAN`T digitise   an analogue  situation !!! ......  just my personal opinion ........

To thebarclaykid....

As I said in my earlier post everybody is entitled to their opinion, positive and negative. I don''t see how YC negativity here is going to migrate to the pitch.

Instead of slagging YC off for his post, come up with a counter argument to explain why you think City will stay up and give us a considered opinion on where the points are going to come from.

I''m ever the optimist myself, but you have to say there are games this season where a point would be a superb result for the team - Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea to name three. Other games are going to go either way with opposition like Spurs, Villa, Birmingham. So if you look down the fixture list you could come up with what you think City might get to come the end of the season.

Personally I''d be extremely worried with Worthy if he doesn''t change things for this Saturday and finally realise that:

a) Doherty is not an answer up front.
b) Holt, Safri and Francis does not an attacking midfield make.

Saturday is the time to make things happen and put points on the board, but don''t forget Portsmouth have been here in the Premier a season longer than City and they aren''t going to be pushovers. You can see them making changes given the Yak''s loss of form.

Good question YC. I for one am not enjoying this season as much as last, as I said I like to think that the team is competitive and I would much rather compete with the likes of Coventry than not with the likes of Birmingham.

I dont go to watch Norwich for the silky skills of Henry, I go to see Norwich play, and lets be honest how ever valiant we have been so far in any of our games have we ever looked like winning one of them ??

Excellent post YC, well thought out and interesting.

It''s funny to see the two opposing sides of the resistance -

"booooo, you''re being negative!!!!" OR

"Booooo, we expected to stay up and finish mid table at least, and we pay our money and deserve to watch Brazil!!!!"

No, it''s not as much fun footballwise - but so far this season I''ve seen some incredible players battling it out with our boys, been to OT and White Hart Lane and seen loads of our games on Sky. We all knew we might get relegated, but everyone seems to have conveniently forgotten that.

Predictions of midtable were WILDLY optimistic, but I would hope we aren''t relegated by Feb and still have a chance of survival come May. If not, I''ll still be there next season, and the season after that, and so on....

Morph!!

Thats a very fair point, so hear goes!!

Don''t get me wrong I dont think that we are Man utd, but what I do think is that when 2-0 down against them we were able to compete on a level playing feild.

As far as squad weakness goes, i feel that we have an inexperienced, not weak squad.

We have seen Norwich match the likes of Tottenham, Newcastle, Man U, in periods look very good against Arsenal, and perhaps regretting a lack of three points against Villa.

It is not capabilities where my fear lies, it is in tactics and attitude.

Tactics- The diamond is not a winner, anyone can see that. I think reverting back to the 4 3 3 with Huckerby behind the forwards in a more free role where he is able to pick up the ball and run at defenders is a proven system. The one event that has given me cause for dissapointment is the fact that we did not sign Crouch when we had the opportunity. (An already proven goalscorer, ball holder and distributer at the club)

I am confident in Worthington, it just seems that maybe he is a little slow to make the right changes that are very obviously needed- So I agree with YC on that!!

Attitude- Because we do not have the depth and the skill level of Arsenal etc, it is important that the team and fans maintains the right attitude and this is where I beleive the season will be made or broken.

For success the players must beleive that they are playing Man u and others every week, againt Villa we did not look nearly as threatening as we did against Newcastle or Man u, and this I feel is due to the fact that first half the fans seemed on edge, the players seemed on edge, all because we felt realistically this was a game we could win. It was not until second half when the fans relaxed and really got behind Norwich that we created a few good chances (Bentley!!!!!)

Last year Pompy survived but look at their fans and team spirit. I feel that the belief from their fans circulated to the players and gave them the belief they needed in many games. This is why, if you will excuse my earlier abrasive manner, I hold this approach in such high regard. If you look at Francis for example, he possesses a large amount of talent, but you can see he lacks conviction lot of the time. I think this is due to his confidence, and in my opinion if people were to get on his back it would not take alot to cripple his playing ability.

We have made so much progress in the past 12 months, and who would''ve thought winning div 1 was a possibility. It just shows you shouldn''t try and make predictions because at the end of the day there are so many unexpected variables (BARRY!!!!) that can have an effect on the outcome of a season.

In answer to the first question- Yes im enjoying myself, watching the team learn and evolve, matching some of the best teams in the league and im also enjoying the best bit.... That im a part of it!!!!

In answer to the second question the three points will come from self belief installed by the manager and upheld by the fans!!!!

OTBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it me but i think this is a good link and a realistic one that we need to get our heads around, we are playing a deferent game than just about every team in the league, we are trying to keep our status without spending silly money, every one tells us the gap is so wide between the first and the prem and we have spent the least amount of money to try and bridge that gap, to be realistic we are going to struggle to stay up this year, but for me its the big picture we need to look at, i fully expect us to go down this year but on the positive side i fully expect us to come back far stronger and to bounce back at the first attempt next year. some people might say its negative to expect us to go down but i think you have to be realistic about your expectations.

Good balanced, post YC and deserving of some thought. Some remarks made in the replies are not justified.  The posters who complain about the negative content seem to forget that it is from the realisation of the negatives, we can, if they are correct become positive and improve.  Not to be able to recognise the negatives in our manufacturing industry has led to the demise of our once renowned motorcycle industry to name but one.  Football is like any other business, if we keep patting failure on the back it is a sure way to except failure as the norm. We do have the potential to remain in the Prem,  but we have to turn up at every game as if we want to win it by playing to our undoubted strength of working harder than the opponents whoever they are. Not sit back and hope for the other side to make a mistake.  Our lads do not have the multiplicity of skills available to the multimillion pound players that are on display at 60% of the clubs we will attempt to defeat.  Therefore it is up to our lads to get to the ball first and stop the others dictating the game in our half of the pitch.  This can be achieved by getting stuck in and take charge of the mid field. Getting players forward at every opportunity ,Quickly. Starting in the first half with 4-3-3 formations, and not waiting for the 2nd half before we start to put our feet on the gas.  We can become positive by recognising the negatives, and be more successful than many of the Pundits are will give us credit for>>>>OTBC!!!!

Thanks to all who responded, particularly those who were able to perceive the overall message I was sharing, which is to look at the reality of the challenge we face and the quality we are competing against and, regardless of the results, be positive about the experience, even if we fail to maintain Premiership status by the end of the season. Responses like "I pay a lot of money to go through the turnstiles so I’m entitled to moan" just don’t do it for me in any facet of life. We pay a lot of money to marry and raise a family but moaning won’t contribute to the success of that environment either. Some posters on the message board, including some on this thread, appropriately in my view, advise other posters to be constructively critical. If you don’t like what someone else is saying or doing then come up with your suggestion of a better approach, whether that’s another poster, a work colleague or NCFC. Many of us want the latest model car, or a wonderful vacation in an exotic spot or a bigger raise than the next fellow but we can’t have everything we want in life. We all want Norwich to win and survive and we also wish we had a prolific goal scorer who can pop them in with regularity at this level. For those who think I’m negative well...I’m not. I think there is a greater chance of negativity being carried to the ground by setting expectations too high. I recognize the challenge and while I hope for the best in each game I’m realistic enough to see what we are up against. At the moment we have what we have. Let’s give the team and the club all the support we can in each game even if the result on the pitch does not live up to our hopes. In conclusion, I have to say that the most apparent difference I’ve seen on the pitch this season versus last is the speed and seamlessness with which Premiership players move into an open space and the ensuing accuracy of passes into those open spaces. Our players should get better at finding space as the season progresses because people tend to emulate others as they rise or fall to the level of competition. Whether we have enough talent and skill to spray passes with accuracy into those spaces remains to be seen.

[quote]Let me ask posters a question. Are you really having fun and enjoying the Premiership games this year or did you have more fun last season? Obviously, we can all see that it’s only taken a few games f...[/quote]

Yankee , I stand by what I said , ie . those who pay to watch football  , are entitled to moan !! ...... he who pays the piper ... calls the tune  ..........  the quote [ if it appears ] illustrates  your particular pessimism !! ..... if I read it correctly , according to you , its a foregone conclusion  that we are  to be relegated  at seasons end ? ,  if you don`t like my response .... tough ! ......  as the season progresses we shall see  whether your  opinions have any substance ..........

Ah, Yankee. Long time no speak.

I see you''re still successfully whipping up the debate on this site.

In answer to your post, with thinking like that we''d never have won the league last year. Think outside the box my friend, you''ve forgotten we play a sport called football in which almost anything can happen. You''ve forgotten to add in the surprise result factor which I think will earn us at least 10 more points than you predict. I say at least 40 points to grab us fourth from bottom.

No, I have not seen your posters Dr. Are you speaking of the New York subway? If so, where would I see them and, also, if you are speaking of New York are you familiar with the "Canary" pub on Amsterdam Ave?