Sign in to follow this  
The Voice Of Reason

FAO Camoldum (if you're not banned again)

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="scrimmage"]Who is Camoldum?[/quote]

Tweedle''s elder brother......

[/quote]he is about, was on last night....before the shutdown!

It''s Camuldonum, which is almost the Roman name for Colchester, but no first O. Anyway, I predict 3-1 city, although we never win first game of the season, like first rounds of cups, so we''ll probably lose 2-0 having completely outplayed them.

[quote user="scrimmage"]It''s Camuldonum, which is almost the Roman name for Colchester, but no first O. Anyway, I predict 3-1 city, although we never win first game of the season, like first rounds of cups, so we''ll probably lose 2-0 having completely outplayed them.
[/quote]

Having been suitably chastened I shall call him Cam.

What is it then Cabbage, 3 - 1 or 0 - 2?

I find it impossible to predict as I''ve no idea what our team is going to be.  We allegedly are after two or three forwards so I think I''ll leave it till I see who we are able to bring in. 

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]Ancient Chinese proverb; Confucious say''s " he who sits on fence gets mistaken for Humpty Dumpty"[/quote]

Ancient Chinese proverb is right but I''d quite like to see what our team is likely to be first.  Unlike you lucky Norwich fans we don''t yet know this end.

We drew 2-2 with Aston Villa against a predominantly first team back five and played your friends down the road this afternoon and had by far the best of the first half, Perkins winning the "Jamie Cureton Memorial Missing a Sitter Trophy" and Wright later pulling off a superb save to keep it 0-0. Second half changes, stupid own goal, an offside trap that didn''t work.

2-0 to the Dustmen but no dispute about the first half.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]Ancient Chinese proverb; Confucious say''s " he who sits on fence gets mistaken for Humpty Dumpty"[/quote]

Ancient Chinese proverb is right but I''d quite like to see what our team is likely to be first.  Unlike you lucky Norwich fans we don''t yet know this end.

We drew 2-2 with Aston Villa against a predominantly first team back five and played your friends down the road this afternoon and had by far the best of the first half, Perkins winning the "Jamie Cureton Memorial Missing a Sitter Trophy" and Wright later pulling off a superb save to keep it 0-0. Second half changes, stupid own goal, an offside trap that didn''t work.

2-0 to the Dustmen but no dispute about the first half.

[/quote]Every team has a bad game, don''t feel so proud you beat them! What about loocastle losing 6-1 to LO!Or Liverpool & Chelsea losing to barnsley?

Another question Cam....why the username or rather why drop the ''O'' from the usual Roman name for Colchester of ''Camulodunum''?

Please tell me there''s a reason beyond a lack of thorough research and ''lazy journalism''?

[quote user="Stevo"]Another question Cam....why the username or rather why drop the ''O'' from the usual Roman name for Colchester of ''Camulodunum''?

Please tell me there''s a reason beyond a lack of thorough research and ''lazy journalism''?[/quote]This is VERY sad of me but I asked the same question a while back,. If I remember correctly the explanation is that on the particular Colchester website he uses Camulodonum had already been taken as a user name, so he had to make do with a kind of dog Latin.Just to confuse matters the French spell it Camulodonun, but that''s the French for you. Like Norfolk people, they Du Different.

[quote user="Stevo"]Another question Cam....why the username or rather why drop the ''O'' from the usual Roman name for Colchester of ''Camulodunum''? Please tell me there''s a reason beyond a lack of thorough research and ''lazy journalism''?[/quote]

According to the Roman scholars - or those at Essex Uni at Wivenhoe - it can actually be either.  When the original Col Who message board started up there were so many variations on Camul/Camel that it dictated the choice.  There were enough Cams etc to start a herd.  Perhaps things were a bit more erudite then............quite a lot are still registered but don''t seem to post any more.  Perhaps the herd has migrated.

Oh for that edit button when the fingers slip...It is, of course, CAMULODUNUMand the pesky French have it as CAMULODUNON.