Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

100k come on gunn

[quote user="can u sit down please"]It says here http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/albionnews/4492061.Albion_sign_Dickinson/ that they have made a down payment of £300k. Not 100k.[/quote]Quite. I have no idea whether he is any good or not, and whether we should have pursued our interest, or why we didn''t, but there was never the slightest chance that the total fee was going to be as low as £100,000. If it had been that would have strongly suggested he wasn''t worth buying in the first place.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="can u sit down please"]It says here http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/albionnews/4492061.Albion_sign_Dickinson/ that they have made a down payment of £300k. Not 100k.[/quote]

Quite. I have no idea whether he is any good or not, and whether we should have pursued our interest, or why we didn''t, but there was never the slightest chance that the total fee was going to be as low as £100,000. If it had been that would have strongly suggested he wasn''t worth buying in the first place.[/quote]

Even so if Gunn wanted him we really should have been able to stretch to 300k for a striker, Gunn must have rated him or he wouldn''t have gone for him in the first place.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="can u sit down please"]It says here http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/albionnews/4492061.Albion_sign_Dickinson/ that they have made a down payment of £300k. Not 100k.[/quote]

Quite. I have no idea whether he is any good or not, and whether we should have pursued our interest, or why we didn''t, but there was never the slightest chance that the total fee was going to be as low as £100,000. If it had been that would have strongly suggested he wasn''t worth buying in the first place.[/quote]

Even so if Gunn wanted him we really should have been able to stretch to 300k for a striker, Gunn must have rated him or he wouldn''t have gone for him in the first place.

[/quote]

Worth having AT A PRICE

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="can u sit down please"]It says here http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/albionnews/4492061.Albion_sign_Dickinson/ that they have made a down payment of £300k. Not 100k.[/quote]Quite. I have no idea whether he is any good or not, and whether we should have pursued our interest, or why we didn''t, but there was never the slightest chance that the total fee was going to be as low as £100,000. If it had been that would have strongly suggested he wasn''t worth buying in the first place.[/quote]

[/quote]Except that the £300,000 is not the total but the first instalment. As I said, I have no idea whether he is any good, although I entirely take your point that Gunn must have rated him in the first place. My vague feeling is that, all other things being equal, I would prefer a 23-year-old to a 30-year-old Alan Lee, so we may not actually be in disagreement on this. The trouble is, as outsiders, we don''t know if and when all other things are equal.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]cannot compete with Brighton in the transfer market. just about sums it up, the ghost of Neil Doncaster still walks the corridors at Carra Rd, preaching prudence[/quote]Of course we can compete with Brighton in the transfer market, he probably didnt impress enough to be considered worth purchasing over what Brighton were prepared to pay.

Even if the story is right... a player who is a good buy for £50k is not necessarily a good buy for £100k. If Gunn thought he''d be a good backup player coming off the bench in L1 then £100k is probably too much anyway.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][Except that the £300,000 is not the total but the first instalment. As I said, I have no idea whether he is any good, although I entirely take your point that Gunn must have rated him in the first place. My vague feeling is that, all other things being equal, I would prefer a 23-year-old to a 30-year-old Alan Lee, so we may not actually be in disagreement on this. The trouble is, as outsiders, we don''t know if and when all other things are equal.[/quote]As usual, many words yet precious little in the way of definite opinion, despite being confronted with an overwhelming body of evidence. Save your circumlocutory pontifications for once. We''ve been outbid by Brighton, who in the late 90s ground-shared in a different county and today play within an 8000-seater athletics stadium.

Well it shows what Delia said at the Charlton match was nothing but a load of cobblers, "WE WILL FIGHT TOOTH AND NAIL TO GET THIS CLUB BACK IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP"then she said "WE WILL DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES" just shows you don''t remember what you say when you have a skinful, I ask "WHERE HAS THE BLOODY REBATE MONEY GONE THEN" or was that yet another board room con? prove us wrong and go get players in that are going to get us promoted out of this league and not relegated.

why sign dickinson tho for 100K, wat exactly has he done to warrent being signed, his scoring record is worse then curetons and hes done nothing to prove himself, why waste the money

Wake up people of course we cannot compete with the likes of Brighton , somebody remind me what we have spent this summer ? oh yes nothing a big fat zilch , and we are trialling strikers like they are going out of fashion , a clear sign that we haveno money to buy a decent one .

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="kdncfc"]

[/quote]

Except that the £300,000 is not the total but the first instalment. As I said, I have no idea whether he is any good, although I entirely take your point that Gunn must have rated him in the first place. My vague feeling is that, all other things being equal, I would prefer a 23-year-old to a 30-year-old Alan Lee, so we may not actually be in disagreement on this. The trouble is, as outsiders, we don''t know if and when all other things are equal.[/quote]

Problem is that we get the same thing every year, we try and sign a striker but refuse to meet the asking price and they end up going elsewhere while we start the season without one and wonder why we struggle to score enough goals. I will not feel at all confident if we start the season relying on the hasbeens unproven and sicknote strikers we currently have at the club to score enough goals.

[quote user="Fernando Derveld"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][Except that the £300,000 is not the total but the first instalment. As I said, I have no idea whether he is any good, although I entirely take your point that Gunn must have rated him in the first place. My vague feeling is that, all other things being equal, I would prefer a 23-year-old to a 30-year-old Alan Lee, so we may not actually be in disagreement on this. The trouble is, as outsiders, we don''t know if and when all other things are equal.[/quote]As usual, many words yet precious little in the way of definite opinion, despite being confronted with an overwhelming body of evidence. Save your circumlocutory pontifications for once. We''ve been outbid by Brighton, who in the late 90s ground-shared in a different county and today play within an 8000-seater athletics stadium.[/quote]And there was me thinking we had been outbid by the Brighton that is now owned by a multi-millionaire high-rolling poker player who is bankrolling  a new £60m stadium...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Fernando Derveld"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][Except that the £300,000 is not the total but the first instalment. As I said, I have no idea whether he is any good, although I entirely take your point that Gunn must have rated him in the first place. My vague feeling is that, all other things being equal, I would prefer a 23-year-old to a 30-year-old Alan Lee, so we may not actually be in disagreement on this. The trouble is, as outsiders, we don''t know if and when all other things are equal.[/quote]As usual, many words yet precious little in the way of definite opinion, despite being confronted with an overwhelming body of evidence. Save your circumlocutory pontifications for once. We''ve been outbid by Brighton, who in the late 90s ground-shared in a different county and today play within an 8000-seater athletics stadium.[/quote]And there was me thinking we had been outbid by the Brighton that is now owned by a multi-millionaire high-rolling poker player who is bankrolling  a new £60m stadium...[/quote] Yes everybody has money and investment dont they , makes you wonder why nobody even sniffs around us , why is that i wonder , maybe they all get the sod off and take your money with you answer that Peter Cullum got .Delia Smith is an utter disgrace.

you dont need to spend money to find quality players, many clubs have signed excellent players after trialing the ones out of contract,

just because there free doesnt mean there crap, all it means is they either didnt renew there contract with the club or the club cost cut on contracts,

and how many players are bought and sold that turn ut to be crap, we all know norwich have a few turkey buys,

jarrett, hughes, brown, strihavka, cureton, colin, russell, fozzy, robinson, croft, all players who lets face where pretty dire, and all players we spent a fee for,

[quote user="kdncfc"]

Problem is that we get the same thing every year, we try and sign a striker but refuse to meet the asking price and they end up going elsewhere while we start the season without one and wonder why we struggle to score enough goals. I will not feel at all confident if we start the season relying on the hasbeens unproven and sicknote strikers we currently have at the club to score enough goals.

[/quote]I don''t disagree with that either. We haven''t had a decent target man since Ashton left, and getting one in for the`start of the season must be Gunn''s main priority.

[quote user="gsr600"]you dont need to spend money to find quality players, many clubs have signed excellent players after trialing the ones out of contract,

just because there free doesnt mean there crap, all it means is they either didnt renew there contract with the club or the club cost cut on contracts,

and how many players are bought and sold that turn ut to be crap, we all know norwich have a few turkey buys,

jarrett, hughes, brown, strihavka, cureton, colin, russell, fozzy, robinson, croft, all players who lets face where pretty dire, and all players we spent a fee for,[/quote] More often than not it is just what it means , wait untill the season starts and our freebies are struggling in the bottom half then maybe the penny will drop .

I do think the club really dropped the ball with Dickinson, he''d have been great for us, i expecting Derby to be looking for around 500k for him.

If i''d known before hand how cheap he was available for then i''d have been asking questions a lot sooner.

I''m not bothered about missing out on Dickinson as I don''t really rate him. I also don''t believe the fee is as low as £100K as I had heard from a pretty decent source that we had offered £250K with the rest dependent on promotion and Derby wanted £500K.

What I am concerned about however is:

1. It doesn''t matter if I don''t rate Dickinson, if Gunn does and wanted him then we should have been able to match/beat Brighton''s bid. Especially with the rebate affair which as every day goes past is looking more and more like we have been "spun.".

2. I sincerely hope this is not another example of us being tight and putting in derisory bids in the hope we can pick up players we want on the cheap. I had hoped we had learnt from those days in the past.

I therefore generally take the view that this is not a good sign unless we have something else up our sleeve in the very near future! If we are going to p*8s about like this with the likes of Adamoah and Lee then I fear we will just end up missing out on all of them again.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="gsr600"]you dont need to spend money to find quality players, many clubs have signed excellent players after trialing the ones out of contract,

jarrett, hughes, brown, strihavka, cureton, colin, russell, fozzy, robinson, croft, all players who lets face where pretty dire, and all players we spent a fee for,[/quote] More often than not it is just what it means , wait untill the season starts and our freebies are struggling in the bottom half then maybe the penny will drop .[/quote]

but will you be complaining if those freebies are top of table after a few weeks, im not saying they will be but we are a league one club with no money, we have to live by our means and if those means mean we have to use freebies then thats what has got to happen, im not saying its the ideal situation and im not apollagising for the way the club is but we have to realistic now, there is no point in ruining the club financial to suit everyone who thinks we should spend money on a gamble which with our track record any money spent on a player will be, if we are to get a championship quality striker the only way we are gonna get one is by the loan system or a freebie who really wants to play for us, not ideal but its what the club can afford,

and theres no point in people saying well we couldve afforded one if people hadnt taken there rebate because thats hogwash, the rebate money simply has been put into the day to day running of the team, with maybe a little bit for signing on fees available hence the freebies so far.

[quote user="gsr600"][quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="gsr600"]you dont need to spend money to find quality players, many clubs have signed excellent players after trialing the ones out of contract, just because there free doesnt mean there crap, all it means is they either didnt renew there contract with the club or the club cost cut on contracts, and how many players are bought and sold that turn ut to be crap, we all know norwich have a few turkey buys, jarrett, hughes, brown, strihavka, cureton, colin, russell, fozzy, robinson, croft, all players who lets face where pretty dire, and all players we spent a fee for,[/quote] More often than not it is just what it means , wait untill the season starts and our freebies are struggling in the bottom half then maybe the penny will drop .
[/quote] but will you be complaining if those freebies are top of table after a few weeks, im not saying they will be but we are a league one club with no money, we have to live by our means and if those means mean we have to use freebies then thats what has got to happen, im not saying its the ideal situation and im not apollagising for the way the club is but we have to realistic now, there is no point in ruining the club financial to suit everyone who thinks we should spend money on a gamble which with our track record any money spent on a player will be, if we are to get a championship quality striker the only way we are gonna get one is by the loan system or a freebie who really wants to play for us, not ideal but its what the club can afford, and theres no point in people saying well we couldve afforded one if people hadnt taken there rebate because thats hogwash, the rebate money simply has been put into the day to day running of the team, with maybe a little bit for signing on fees available hence the freebies so far.[/quote]

The main problem appears to be that the rebate money appears to be being used to plug gaps in a budget that is inadequate for a club of our stature and not to supplement and add to an already competitive budget it as i and many other believed it was intended to do. 18,500 season tickets ought to be enough to fund a decent player wage budget at this level.

the problem that we have is that money talks, even if we could raise 100k brighton could afford a higher wage on the hope they get promoted because they have the wealthy backer,

and we were never told that the rebate money would go into a transfer fund, what we were told was it would go into the player fund, clever bit of spin because this easily couldve meant players wages and not transfer fees, and yeah 18500 fans would easily be enough for a decent club wage budget or it should be but it clearly isnt because of the extra expenses used for running the club and the luxury expenses that are pointlessly being spent

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Wake up people of course we cannot compete with the likes of Brighton , somebody remind me what we have spent this summer ? oh yes nothing a big fat zilch , and we are trialling strikers like they are going out of fashion , a clear sign that we haveno money to buy a decent one .[/quote]A clear sign we don''t want to spend money on a player we don''t value you mean !The influx of freebies is to make up for the loanees that disappeared at the end of last season, money will be spent on players who are likely to be in the starting 11 not those brought in as cover.