Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

This is a bit like D-Day..

We''ve just waded ashore under withering fire, but are still pinned down on the beach, taking heavy casualties. It''s touch and go whether we''ll be able to establish a beach head at all, and - this is my point - this is no time for pretty football. It''s time for grinding out points, and if we have to be boring this season then so be it. If we stay up there''ll be a bit more money to strengthen the team, and over time hopefully a return to the attractive football we''re all used to.

So stop complaining about the diamond formation etc! Let''s accept that Worthy''s doing the best he can for us with the resources available.

Never mind the danger!

While I agree that City should be in the opposition''s faces from the word go, something that would appear to have been lacking against Liverpool, I can''t agree that you either grind out results or play attractive football. What are you suggesting? That we sit back, soak up pressure and then try and hit teams on the break with a long-ball game?

A key problem, it seems to me, is that we fail to retain possession; this is because we don''t move into space to receive the ball and we don''t have the people with the capacity to find those in space. Safri has made some difference here but it''s still not good  enough at this level. Retaining the ball only becomes just pretty football when you don''t do anything with it so you need people who can make the penetrating passes to unlock opposition defences. The only person who comes into the category of a playmaker at City is Mulryne and I think he should occupy central midfield (assuming he''s fit).

I think he could be accommodated in a 5 man midfield alongside Safri and Francis (drop Holt) with Huckerby wide left and Jonson wide right but prepared to tuck inside, swap sides of the pitch etc. McKenzie should be played as the ''lone'' striker but he would have backup from a midfield all capable of scoring goals - half a dozen goals at this level over a season could be priceless.

In addition, Mulryne''s delivery from set-pieces could be crucial to getting something from some games. Keeping possession, working the ball round, looking for space and movement is both attractive football and effective; unfortunately, the diamond formation seems to provide neither space nor movement and should be dropped.

[quote]We''ve just waded ashore under withering fire, but are still pinned down on the beach, taking heavy casualties. It''s touch and go whether we''ll be able to establish a beach head at all, and - this is m...[/quote]

Dear Fool: For very, very personal reasons, please don''t ever, in the context of a damn game of football, or indeed, worse, City''s position, ever refer to D'' Day in such a ''throw away'' and flippant manner again!.

The sheer horror of ''The Longest Day'', should never, ever be compared to football. That was a day when sanity was stretched to breaking point. And thousands of young men, on both sides of the conflict died and were horribly injured and scarred for life.

Although I can understand to a point, your reasons for your ''bad taste'' thread. This subject must never be taken lightly again, my friend.

Sincere Rant Over.

[quote]Dear Fool: For very, very personal reasons, please don''t ever, in the context of a damn game of football, or indeed, worse, City''s position, ever refer to D'' Day in such a ''throw away'' and flippant ma...[/quote]

Wiz, the only possible justification for your rant is that you personally fought in Normandy on D-Day. If that is the case, then you have my undying respect and gratitude.

So what will saturdays team performance be like in D-day terms? Like the american first wave, and get absolutely slaughtered? Or like the some of the subsequent British landings, and stroll it easy as you like?With our lack of height at the back perhaps Greeno should shout "Incoming!" whenever a cross is delivered.For my part, I think they''re all bally heroes! But remember, whatever the result, stiff upper lip chaps.

I subscribe to the idea Ricko has suggested.  I was actually thinking about starting a thread suggesting this very thing!  I really believe the Bolton stlye would suit the players we have.  Playing Leon as ''lone'' striker would actually be an improvement on Davies at Bolton IMO.  Try this on for size:

Green

Helveg  Charlton  Fleming  Drury

Safri

Jonson  Francis Mulryne  Huckerby

McKenzie

[quote]I subscribe to the idea Ricko has suggested. I was actually thinking about starting a thread suggesting this very thing! I really believe the Bolton stlye would suit the players we have. Playing Le...[/quote]

temp

nothing to add about the theme of this thread really, just loved your signature about conservatives

expand please?

when is yr next home match btw?