Sign in to follow this  
Hayden

We are going to lose games, every team does

I was gutted to see we lost on Saturday and was a bit surprised by the team when it had performed so well in recent games. However, and it is a big however, we have had a very good run of results against some very good sides and taken points. Every team is going to lose football matches, Man Utd lost away to the saints! Chelsea lost a game!, and at the end of the day we have only lost one in the last eight, and with the quality of opposition that is not bad. If the last three away games had been dotted throughout the season and we had lost them all in the middle of a few wins it would have been accepted as football. It is just the fact that we had three away games in a row and have taken two points. A lot of teams in our divison will go to Wigan, West Ham and West Brom and get beat. Lets face it, on paper before the season starts you would expect us to struggle in these three fixtures. Look at Sheff Utd, beat West Brom away and then lose to Millwall. That is the nature of the beast. The scummers have won a lot of their recent games but they always seem to be playing at bloody home! We will win far more than we will lose, and in all our recent away performances we have played well and that form will yield us more points on the road than last season and at home we are very dangerous. Onwards and upwards, and before you rant about one defeat, look at the whole picture.

I''m looking at the whole picture, and whole picture shows that away from home we are not good enough to defeat any of our promotion rivals (Sheff Utd, Wigan, West Ham, West Brom, Forest), scoring just two goals in those five games.

fair point Swiss, but I would also say that such a judgement could be turned round to say that at home we will probably beat the lot of them!

that would mean 3 points off Sheff Utd, forest and west brom and 4 points off Wigan and West Ham. Now that would be a good record against our promotion rivals as long as we put the lesser teams away both on our turf and theirs.

I must confess that my dissappointment on Saturday''s result centres around the fact that I thought we were past playing to just defend away from home and scrape something, when we did so well at the Hammers. We must play to our strengths. Don''t get me wrong, I am not saying that Worthy got it right on Saturday and I would question his judgemet on this occasion, I was merely trying to point out that we are goingt o lose games this season, West Brom is one thing, Crewe or Wimbledon away would be another talking point

Well said Swiss. We are going through a period of acute schizophrenia at the moment. At home we are the best team in the land and ''should beat anybody'', yet away ''at least we got a point'' seems to be the mantra. We must remember that we have still only won 5 - yes 5, games away from home SINCE AUGUST 2002 - that''s 14 months and over 30 games!
Now while I don''t dispute that recent away results have been very encouraging, Saturday''s negative line up was handing a one-niller on a plate to West Brom. We were never going to score with Iwan up front on his own, despite how ever many of you think he has been ''reborn'' this season. The bloke is only good - and he is good - for 20 minutes these days. How much of a kick in the teeth must it have been for Crouchy to be on the bench? He was gagging for it after the West Ham game and Worthy peed all over his bonfire.
Moral of the story: we are never going to win away if we don''t take it to the opposition; we were getting there and Worthy got scared. Let''s hope he''s learned his lesson.