Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Who cares about Liam Dickinson?

The bloke is not even worth 350k (+ add ons!), he had one good season in League Two and Derby paid over the odds for him. He was shocking at Leeds.

Considering Shrewsbury only paid 175k for Gary Holt, and we could probably get Alan Lee for a similar price, I really could not care less.

The Barnet right winger sounds like a much better use of funds, and I would be interested to see more of Troy Powell.

Have we really been ''outbid'' by Brighton? We''ll technically we have yes, but is this because of financial restraints, or is this because we just dont believe that he is the striker to get us promoted? How much money are Brighton paying him per week? maybe, just maybe, they are paying more than they can actually afford.

We are in a bad financial situation, and we are in a bad financial situation for a reason. That reason is because we have signed over rated players on big wage packets for three or four seasons now.

We paid a similar price for Leon McKenzie a few years back, we paid 50k for a young Paul McVeigh, we paid 300k for a young Adam Drury, we paid 250k for Damien Francis I believe. We managed to buy Wes Hoolohan for 250k, we picked up Clingan on a bosman. We signed Marc Edworthy on a free, we signed Malky Mackay for 350k.

Then look at other clubs in recent years, Scunthorpe signed Billy Sharp for 100k and sold him for £2m. The same club signed Paul Hayes on a free after he was released from us.

Bryan Gunn has been at the club long enough to observe the spending habits of managers, including our shrewdest (and yes that is Nigel Worthington, hindsight is a wonderful thing) and he known damn well that if he looks around hard enough he will find some 19 year old kid who is better than the distinctly average Liam Dickinson.

Gunn has taken 4 or 5 strikers on trial, probably more on the way. I would put money on at least one of those strikers doing just as well as Liam Dickinson next year.

The simple fact of the matter is that 350k is a lot of money for an unproven striker. If Liam Dickinson is that good, then why hasn''t Lee Clark put up the money? Dickinson played on loan for a period at Huddersfield last year after all, people at the club would have told him about the bloke!!

I would have been completely unimpressed with the Dickinson signing.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

The bloke is not even worth 350k (+ add ons!), he had one good season in League Two and Derby paid over the odds for him. He was shocking at Leeds.

Considering Shrewsbury only paid 175k for Gary Holt, and we could probably get Alan Lee for a similar price, I really could not care less.

The Barnet right winger sounds like a much better use of funds, and I would be interested to see more of Troy Powell.

Have we really been ''outbid'' by Brighton? We''ll technically we have yes, but is this because of financial restraints, or is this because we just dont believe that he is the striker to get us promoted? How much money are Brighton paying him per week? maybe, just maybe, they are paying more than they can actually afford.

We are in a bad financial situation, and we are in a bad financial situation for a reason. That reason is because we have signed over rated players on big wage packets for three or four seasons now.

We paid a similar price for Leon McKenzie a few years back, we paid 50k for a young Paul McVeigh, we paid 300k for a young Adam Drury, we paid 250k for Damien Francis I believe. We managed to buy Wes Hoolohan for 250k, we picked up Clingan on a bosman. We signed Marc Edworthy on a free, we signed Malky Mackay for 350k.

Then look at other clubs in recent years, Scunthorpe signed Billy Sharp for 100k and sold him for £2m. The same club signed Paul Hayes on a free after he was released from us.

Bryan Gunn has been at the club long enough to observe the spending habits of managers, including our shrewdest (and yes that is Nigel Worthington, hindsight is a wonderful thing) and he known damn well that if he looks around hard enough he will find some 19 year old kid who is better than the distinctly average Liam Dickinson.

Gunn has taken 4 or 5 strikers on trial, probably more on the way. I would put money on at least one of those strikers doing just as well as Liam Dickinson next year.

The simple fact of the matter is that 350k is a lot of money for an unproven striker. If Liam Dickinson is that good, then why hasn''t Lee Clark put up the money? Dickinson played on loan for a period at Huddersfield last year after all, people at the club would have told him about the bloke!!

[/quote]

i agree at least we know Lee!

I have to agree Juan, I really don''t see what all the fuss is about. It seems some fans look at how much we spend on a player rather than if he''s any good!! I''m pretty glad we didn''t pursuit him.  

Law #12 of the Pink Un Message Board:If we are linked with a player and don''t sign him, it shows our lack of ambition.If we are linked with a player, and sign him, it shows our lack of ambition because it''s obvious that nobody else wanted him.

Just to correct myself...... Shrewsbury of course paid £175k for GRANT Holt!

But Gary Holt is another one........ 135k he cost us.

Agree with the original post Juan :) We can do better than meeting high financial demands for a player who has been poor and not really impressed at four different clubs (Derby and the 3 loan spells)

Let''s move on and forget about him

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Law #12 of the Pink Un Message Board:

If we are linked with a player and don''t sign him, it shows our lack of ambition.
If we are linked with a player, and sign him, it shows our lack of ambition because it''s obvious that nobody else wanted him.

[/quote]

Pretty much spot on.

I dont think he was worth spending 500K plus wages on a player who played for Leeds in this division last year and was pretty unimpressive by most people who saw him.

Personally I think Chris Martin is probably a better option at this level. I also think Alan Lee is probably also a better option.

Once we sell Clingan and Russell it will probably free up more money to spend on players.

[quote user="Dean Coney''s Arse"]Once we sell Clingan & Russell, the board can have another jolly. Won''t see a penny re-invested on the pitch

yeap!!! nicley  said!

[quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"]Once we sell Clingan & Russell, the board can have another jolly. Won''t see a penny re-invested on the pitch.[/quote]When was the last jolly then?Tell me the last time any of the non-executive directors took anything out of NCFC and I''ll let you have that one.No?Blimey, I try not to be seen as sticking up for them but honestly - use facts please!!!

[quote user="LQ"][quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"]Once we sell Clingan & Russell, the board can have another jolly. Won''t see a penny re-invested on the pitch.[/quote]When was the last jolly then?Tell me the last time any of the non-executive directors took anything out of NCFC and I''ll let you have that one.No?Blimey, I try not to be seen as sticking up for them but honestly - use facts please!!!

[/quote]Exactly! This is a prime example of viral complaining! Mis management fair enough. P***ing it away on jollies..... just not true. If we''re complaining, let''s restrict it to things that actually happen.

More to the point, Juan''s right. His value isn''t high enough to keep raising our hand at the auction. He peaked at about 250 and Brighton have taken a bit of a risk if you ask me.

[quote]

I would be interested to see more of Troy Powell.

[/quote]Great idea, instead of getting a player who scored 4 goals in 7 games in the championship last season, thats double the amount scored by Alan Lee in the same amout of games btw, when you can get somebody who played well against Fakenham.

problem is wages, it''s starting to appear that alan lee who said  ''money is not an issue'' is not wanting to take the wage cut to come here, at least thats the way i''m reading it

Its not LD, its the fact we obviously wanted him but did not bid enough.  Who DO we want to pay for?

Taking the money out of the equation...

If on 8th August we line up at home to Colchester with Jamie Cureton and Chris Martin upfront when we had the chance to sign Liam Dickinson then I expect I''d be pretty disappointed.

If we line up with Alan Lee and someone else who is decent then I wouldn''t be as disappointed about missing out on him.

dickinsons goal scoring record is worse then curetons, so why would we be better off with him,

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]What do you base that on?[/quote]Law #14 of the Pink Un Message Board:Facts are unimportant.  It''s opinions that matter, and the more forcefully stated the opinion, the more true it must be.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]What do you base that on?
[/quote]

Law #14 of the Pink Un Message Board:

Facts are unimportant.  It''s opinions that matter, and the more forcefully stated the opinion, the more true it must be.

[/quote]

Law #15

Opinions described as "fact" are of even higher importance.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

Or as the Chairman of Derby County put it after a soiree at his home for their players: "He will not play in our colours while I am Chairman."  So out on loan and now to Brighton for around about £500k not £300-350k - that''s just the down payment.

What could the chairman have meant?  Not to be sniffed at I think.

I''m still reeling over the fact that we''re losing our top Target-man in Russell. [:D][;)][:$]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]What do you base that on?[/quote]

check his stats on derbys website, but hey why let the facts get in the way of us signing a player for money, doesnt matter if hes crap hes cost some money which oh yeah must be better then having a freebie

[quote user="gsr600"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]What do you base that on?[/quote]

check his stats on derbys website, but hey why let the facts get in the way of us signing a player for money, doesnt matter if hes crap hes cost some money which oh yeah must be better then having a freebie[/quote] He didnt play for Derby at Championship level, now why dont you run along and look up his stats for Stockport in the lower leagues where Norwich will be playing for the next decade or so .

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="gsr600"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]What do you base that on?[/quote]

check his stats on derbys website, but hey why let the facts get in the way of us signing a player for money, doesnt matter if hes crap hes cost some money which oh yeah must be better then having a freebie[/quote] He didnt play for Derby at Championship level, now why dont you run along and look up his stats for Stockport in the lower leagues where Norwich will be playing for the next decade or so .[/quote]

yeah he did so well at leeds last season, and huddersfield last season, derby obviously thought he was so great they palmed him out on loan the minute they realised he wasnt up to much kop, but hey dont let facts get in the way of you wanting us to sign a player that just like cureton his one true goal scoring season is 3 years behind him.

Its not the fact that we have missed out on Dickinson thats the issue.

Its that once again the club seem intent on doing everything on the cheap. We''ve seen time and time again this club miss out on our supposed targets and its becoming a bit of a joke. Surely if we want someone then its not beyond the realms of possiblity for the board to go out, back the manager and get him. Instead we start haggling over a few thousand pounds and miss out.

Then we are left scratching around for premier league cast offs and has beens