Sign in to follow this  
Henry VIII

Paul McVeigh

Come on, lets be honest, how good would i be to see Paul back in a City shirt?Here''s a guy who cares, who wants to play and knows enough about the club to realise how much it means to the fans.And don''t bother with all the blah blah blah he''s past it rubbish. Get him in on a no-risk performance and appearance related contract and let the good times roll.Lets not forget, it was only one bad game under Pointer which led to McVeigh''s premature end to life as a City player. He has unfinished business.Bring it on.

I think we should keep him on trial until after the Wigan game, give him some "real" opposition, and see how he fares. I''d like to see him back, was one of my favourite player''s circa 2002, I know that was 7 years ago now but he''s clearly showing glimpses, may well be worth a pay as you play deal.

[quote user="Mushroom"]

I think we should keep him on trial until after the Wigan game, give him some "real" opposition, and see how he fares. I''d like to see him back, was one of my favourite player''s circa 2002, I know that was 7 years ago now but he''s clearly showing glimpses, may well be worth a pay as you play deal.

[/quote]

Wigan and Palace games to test him would be ideal. However there are other clubs looking at him and if something came up he might take it.

He has done well so far, I wouldn''t be opposed to him here again.

In a way. I''d rather have him back, than Huckerby, because of what there is to lose. I like to remember Huckerby how he was, not as an ageing winger with a hip injury. McVeigh didn''t leave on the best of notes, gained alot of weight etc, he can come back and try to reinstate the status he achieved in our promotion season.

[quote user="Henry VIII"]Come on, lets be honest, how good would i be to see Paul back in a City shirt?Here''s a guy who cares, who wants to play and knows enough about the club to realise how much it means to the fans.And don''t bother with all the blah blah blah he''s past it rubbish. Get him in on a no-risk performance and appearance related contract and let the good times roll.Lets not forget, it was only one bad game under Pointer which led to McVeigh''s premature end to life as a City player. He has unfinished business.Bring it on.[/quote]

Personally, I think he''d look great in a City shirt -- an Ely City shirt in the Ridgeons.Seriously, it matters not whether any of us approve or not - McVeigh is already on the books.

I think he''d be prepared to wait if he knew there was a chance of a contract here. He obviously likes it here, no way is a Championship team going to take a punt on him, and we are one of the top teams in this league.

I agree with your point though, I just think we need to make sure he''s worthy of a contract for all the right reasons, and not for sentimental value.

I wouldn''t trust the club to use anyone on a pay as you play deal when needed. I''d be suprised if McV would want to sign another deal like that anyway after Luton.

I bet he''s already got a contract if the truth be known, imo it''s a sign of the times when we are signing players who we got rid off only a few seasons ago,then again if he can still do a job then maybe a pay as you play deal is worth a punt,the jury is firmly out on this one!!

[quote user="Mushroom"]

To be fair though, the comparsion between ourselves and LTFC is a tad extreme...

...at the moment!

[/quote]This board watches the money very closely. The reasons may be different but the outcome is the same isn''t it?

[quote user="Mushroom"]

To be fair though, the comparsion between ourselves and LTFC is a tad extreme...

...at the moment!

[/quote]

Extreme?!?!  [:P]Norwich v Luton will be a regular fixture within a couple of seasons.

[quote user="PhatCanary"]I bet he''s already got a contract if the truth be known, imo it''s a sign of the times when we are signing players who we got rid off only a few seasons ago,then again if he can still do a job then maybe a pay as you play deal is worth a punt,the jury is firmly out on this one!![/quote]I thought that,  we have already gone from, training with us, to being on trial.

He will be O.K. if he doesn''t renew his previous association with fellow countryman ( P.M.) and keeps clear of a certain hostelry in St.Andrews ! [+o(]

How easily conned the majority of fans are!

He was always going to get his place. Training, Trial, playing every pre-season match, next surprise is he will be given a 1 year deal. Suckers....

The Old Boys network in action I''m afraid. It''s one of the reasons why our club is a joke in the rest of the footballing world at the moment.

.......before you comment, just remember the stupid Alice Band and gloves in October!

I used to love Small McVeigh... always thought he had that extra bit of class during our promotion winning season.

Ultimately, he must know this is his last chance saloon. No other club at this level would take the gamble - football is 9/10th motivation, confidence and passion - if he displays that, and importantly gets his fitness back (looking good for it in the pictures) - there is a *chance* he might be a useful player for us. Personally, I hope that he does prove all of us wrong, and become that useful player, just because I like him, but I''m under no illusions that it''s definitely gonna happen or that he is suddenly going to be the Small McVeigh of old and be amazing at this level...

Not gonna stop me having a big grin when we sing "we love you..." first game of the season, what anyone says or whether he plays or not!

I''d have him as a back up player at best if he really really really has to sign for us. And it MUST be on a pay-as-you-play contract.

Still don''t feel comfortable with the idea but like Shyster said its probably already done so who cares what us mugs/fans think.....

If he continues playing well and earns his place, I''d like to see it for his goal scoring potential and versatility (Striker, either wing or playing behind the strikers). He''s scored 2 class goals already and if he can continue performing well I''d like to see him in.

Is anyone else slightly concerned about McVeigh''s sudden good friendly form?

I seem to remember his form fluctuating back in the day when his contract was up for renewal. I appreciate he is ''on trial'' so will want to impress however I would be worried if he got a contract if his effort levels would stay the same?

[quote user="Road to Nowhere"]

I seem to remember his form fluctuating back in the day when his contract was up for renewal. I appreciate he is ''on trial'' so will want to impress however I would be worried if he got a contract if his effort levels would stay the same?

[/quote]

Must admit this crossed my mind last night as well. If I remember, he scored some important goals, got his contract then just stopped trying again. I for one, would prefer to see him on some sort of pay as you play type deal with bonuses based on performance.

Given that his missus would probably have now finished her degree in London and will be moving back to Norfolk, something tells me McSmall is going all out for a contract... mind, if it takes a foxy lady to keep him on his toes and away from the kebabs, then so be it (and trust me, she is foxy... she used to work with my Mum and came round my house one day... I just stood there gibbering... smooooooth....) [H]

[quote user="Road to Nowhere"]

[/quote]

Agreed.