Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Scrap Undisclosed Transer fees

I think undisclosed transfer fees should be scrapped in football. If you buy or sell someone then everyone should know what you paid or what you received. I don''t understand all the secrecy and the need for it. It creates a lot of rumours- such as have appeared on this board where people start reeling off figures about undisclosed transfer fees e.g. Whaley for instance according to this message board we are paying anywhere between 100,000 to 350,000. This has happened for other transfers as well, I just wonder why? I just can''t see who it helps.

It''s the seller who decides, isn''t it? I''m sure it''s just one side that chooses... I don''t trust my brain this morning tho!

Oh and it helps the seller keep secret the money that have available for the own purchases. When that seller comes to buy, if the club they are buying from knows the exact money available, they could drive a harder bargin - hence why Manchester City and Chelsea pay over the odds for each player simply because everyone knows that can/could afford it.

Even though it would be nice to know and a step in the right direction, I just can''t see it happening, because Clubs prefer to keep this information to themselves.

There''s also a further problem to consider, transfer fees aren''t paid in full at day one, but often spread over the a year or two, often with add ons, such as based on the number of appearance. So, using the Whaley example, you really wouldn''t know how much of the £350K was actually in the hands of the selling club at day one. Therefore, unless there is full disclosure, which I can never see hapening, your proposal will still result in the same amount of frustration!

There''s probably a complication too as far as add-ons go. Sometimes payments spread over a period of years in terms of appearances, international call-ups, promotion etc so where does the true valuation sit. The only way to get total transparancy is to publish the details of the contract between the clubs - but this contract is between two limited companies and therein lies further complications in terms of confidentiality etc.