Sign in to follow this  
In Dubious Battle

Alternative News Source

[quote user="Notts Canary"](This is a hypothetical situation and I''m not suggesting that we will defiantly be bottom after three games, although I certainly wouldn''t rule the possibility out [:P] )[/quote]I''m going to be bold and rule this out.  We are 10 points above southampton.  It will take at least 4 games for them to overtake us.Notts Canary OUT!

There is no such thing as an ''impartial'' news source. It''s always been in the best interests of Archant/EDP/Evening News/Pink ''Un to remain uncritical of NCFC as this will enable them to keep getting stories from the club. If the club had suddenly put the MD of a media company who had previously been critical of NCFC on the board then I could have understood the criticism but that''s not the case here. The real news of what is happening behind the scenes is often broken on sites such as this, as long as you don''t mind wading through the fantasies of bored teenagers, students, office workers, OAPs and/or wizards.

Good reasoning Shack, the archant vehicles have been found wanting for a long time, a fact that has not been lost on many of the posters on this forum.

However, I personally believe that having closer, cosier, links between the club and local media is not gonna improve the situation, quite the opposite in fact.

This scenario is especially critical now we are in the third division because of the lack of coverage anywhere else of lower league football.

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Now that Archant have a place on the city board I don''t feel that I can fully trust the reporting in the EDP, Evening News & Pink Un to be entirely impartial. Therefore I shall not be buying any of these publications again.Does anybody have any recommendations of where else I can find up to date and detailed news/analysis of city? Websites or printed. I am not usually as negative towards our board as some people on this message board, however this has really been bugging me recently. I do not approve at all it is a despicable move by the club. [/quote]

Do you not watch the BBC because it''s funded by the government? Perhaps you don''t read any of Rupert Murdoch''s publications because they might be influenced by his political beliefs? The point is, nothing in life is truly impartial, did you not realise that Archant were already a significant shareholder in the club before Stephan Phillips was appointed to the board? I think Mr. Phillips went some way to reduce my fears by doing the Q + A session and I think we have to trust him that he will not effect any decisions the editior makes. Finally nobody has actually answered your question of a decent alternative news source, there I think is your answer.

[/quote]The BBC is funded by us, not the government. It is independent  the only authority the government has is how much £££ it gets. I don''t read Rupert Murdoch publications because he is an evil fu*k! Sorry but im not going to trust somebody just because they say their motives are pure. The current boards recent performance has been poor and that is me being generous. They need to be cross examined very closely over the next few years, because if we slip much lower it could be the end of our club. Yet we are stuck in a situation where the only publication that can do such a job is operated by the same man that operates the club.

With respect to Pete, what else can he say? Surely no one expects him to put his career on the line by saying anything controversial at all, whatever he privately thinks.

Trying to look at this objectively, I can''t see why the MD of Archant was appointed. He brings no money to the table. Does the business of running a newspaper and its many spin offs contribute to helping running our football club? For that answer we have to wait and see what Mr Phillips does do. I am sure the board or Mr Phillips will say that there is much mutual benefit. Again, we must wait and see.

His editors obviously have some degree of freedom. However, as NCFC is only a part of their paper I wonder really just how much more attention will be paid to the club, given we have now occupy a very low rung of the football ladder. Of more concern to me is whether the editors and management of Archant will actually change their stance at all regarding how often their staff writers openly criticise the club or how many letters they might publish from readers who want to express their views. We all know that certain columnists will criticise the club but what about the reporters asking searching questions of the manager and board.

As Say Hello to the Angles has said above, the board of directors needs to be not only cross examined but watched very closely from now on on a number of fronts. We can''t sadly change the past, but we can start to ask some pertinent questions when the need arises. If Archant are now seen to be even more unwilling to do this, surely any bile will be directed now at the MD. Do we turn to Radio Norfolk now then as our independent media source?

Archant have done a great job by maintaining the spirit of the East Anglian way of life via their various newspapers. The EDP remains by far the most informative and neutral paper I have had the pleasure to read and it continues to remain an "institution" to be relied upon in general terms.....

As for the Norwich City element.... since when have intelligent people believed all they read? As before I suggest we take what we want to take and dismiss the rest. Nothing changes.

Pete assures us that this forum will remain "free" and his reasoning is sound. The minute posters see that a bias is being exerted by Archant.... the forum will die overnight. I''m not happy with the idea of a club "insider" wearing "two hats" either... but I trust my instincts and so should everyone else.

I''d sooner give them a chance to prove themselves than Smith and her new wardrobe anyday........