Sign in to follow this  
M.E

Raith Highlights

Cant really tell a lot from that but my limited impressions were that Nelson looked slow,  that most of their threat came down our right flank and that the midfield sat very deep.

The thing that made me chuckle was the previous post that raved about how good the defence must have performed as they kept a clean sheet and was conclusive proof that life was better without doc and then we see a 3 min clip which shows we are ponderous and disorganised and doomed to relegation.

Just a couple of questions.

How many new players did we have playing together for the first time?

Do Raith have a settled side?

How important are the results in a workout like this?

Was anything at stake?

Does anyone else understand what a pre season friendly is all about?

..............ok 5 then !!

Wow you really took the positives from that Zipper!  Must admit we would not be confused with Brazil on that performance but these guys have barely played together, give them a chance!

Thanks for the link.

One can''t tell much from highlights: as has  been said, the Defence looked awful, but by definition the highlights show the four or so best chances they had.  If we''d watched ninety minutes of solid defending with just those chances over the 90 minutes we might feel differently about the Defence.

Interesting to note that Matty Patty whipped in a great cross for the goal, and I think it''s him who puts in what appears to be the best through ball of the match immediately after the goal as well.   Based on those highlights he looks like our best creative player.  And I think he only played a half.  A sobering thought.

Don''t get me wrong its this to win but these games are to get the players match fit, give players a run out, try different formations and work on tactics.  Also i suspect this highlights probably showed more of the Raith chances than the Norwich ones, so i don''t think it is the great disaster everyone is making it out to be. 

We don''t exactly have a settled side - our team is far from complete. The game started with quite a few ''non-first team'' players, and we played an under 19.

This was our second pre-season game. The first was on Saturday

We were playing with two players I would classify as forwards, not strikers. We eed a goal scorer in our team - as you could see from Tade''s efforts.

Overall I was happy with how our team performed as you should be of a much higher standard. Slightly disappointed we didn''t score - I thought that we were clearly worth the draw. I am surprised that your reposts state that you were worth the win as you were clearly out-played in the first, and the second was 50/50 IMO.

What I would say is that you have to remember that the vast majority of our players are part-time... playing against your full time team.

It was an enjoyable game to watch. Good luck for the season.

For the last two highlights Drury just shows what an awful defender he is, for the cross come shit that nearly loops in, he''s not tight enough and should be doing more to stop it, and for the final one he''s just plain out of position, we desperately need two new full backs.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Duffman"][quote user="ndhscanary"]

Looks like Otsemobor has not changed one bit with that awful backpass there. Really have got to get rid of him

Is it just me or is anyone else failing to actually recognise who any of those people are

[/quote]

Dont let the facts get in the way of a good witch hunt.   Back pass was by Spillane.

I was rather positive about us until I saw that footage.   Very shocking at the back and Matty Pattison has not been working on his passing I see.
[/quote]

Agree that the defence looked very suspect, although Drury''s last ditch tackle was exceptional. Despite Chris Lakey''s comment last night, the little shown of him suggests that Maric is a bit pedestrian, but good to see Matty Patty looking lively again, although, as you rightly say, his passing didn''t look too cracky on occasions. Still think he could be a big player in League One if given the chance.

[/quote]

Maric was only in two clips and in both he almost scored? Are you sure you were watching the same player! That Craig lad looked farely nippy and dangerous as well.

Are Raith Rovers any good? There website tells me not, but they embarresed are defence. We need all the pre season we can get. We are passing the ball to where are team isn''t

Interesting to read the views based on a few minutes of highlights. As I was working in Edinburgh on Tuesday, I went to the game with a colleague who is a die-hard Hibby. I''ll give you my views on the match (which I gave to Chris Goreham after the game) and then his.

First and foremost it was a friendly, where we were introducing new players and giving trials to a few. These games are never realistic, but do give a feel about how the individual players are gelling and are likely to progress. For my money, a lot of our players looked okay. The young keeper looked okay, nothing spectacular to do. Drury looked like the Drury pre-2004: solid, calm, and unflappable. A fabulous last-ditch tackle as well. Spillane: solid and effective. Not an abundance of skill but a decent enough stopper. Nelson seems to do what it says on the tin: big and strong, dominant in the air, good talker, composed on the ball. Would be exposed against skillful, pacy strikers at the top end of the Championship, but that''s not relevant now... The other youngster, (Stevens) looked a real prospect at centre half. Pace, good in the air, knows when to stay on his feet. I wouldn''t be at all worried at the prospect of him coming into the first team when needed - far prefer him to the umpteem loan centre backs from seasons past.

For the midfield, lets start with Semi. For me a player with a lot of natural ability and athleticism. It''s easy to see why Liverpool took him on, hoping he would progress. Sadly, he hasn''t. He looked as adept at right midfield/wing as at full back. I hate to say it, but I have to conclude he never will make the progress you would hope - there comes a point when potential is no longer enough. Matty P looked good in patches, but seemed to be struggling for fitness. Interestingly, he played the full game. I wondered if Gunny has offered the olive branch, told him to get his head right and fight for his place. I hope so: a fit Matty P (with a settled off-pitch life) would be a terrific player in league 1. Gill: energetic, closes down well, plays simple passes. Not a lot of real class, but chases, tackles, wins headers, gets forward. A decent League one midfielder. As for the big fella, boy he is big and menacing! it was nice to watch our height at the set pieces: several tall players. Just need some decent delivery. Again, not overblessed with talent, but we''re in League One now...

Strikers: Maric looked tidy. Worked hard off the ball, certainly put himself about and ruffled up the opposition, and was a handful in the penalty area. If his attitude is right, he could be a TERRIFIC league one target man. I was impressed. Then to Jamie. Like Wiz, I have always had a soft spot for him. You know how much he wants it, how much he feels the clubs pain. So I am really sorry to give my opinion of him. He looked like me (aged 39) playing against my son (aged 14). Old, slow, unable to compete. I really cant see him troubling defences enough to warrant any more than a bit part. Sorry Wiz, just my assessment as another Jamie Fan.

Subs: McVeigh looked class. As always, the fastest thinker on the pitch. Without doubt the classiest player on the pitch. Worth a contract for me. Craig looked okay, would need to see more of him.

Far more positive signs than negative, given this game came so early in the season. Sure, gaps need filling, but encouraging signs. The glass is not half full yet, but the beer is starting to flow again. Maybe too slowly for some, but we were truly awful for most of last year.

My mate the Hibby, who is a football anorak (and a grumpy Scot, not easily impressed) said "Aye, nae bad. Would gae the Hibs a game".

So there you have it