Sign in to follow this  
Mason 47

Land of the Giants?

Being pre-season and all these academy products having signed up, had a little look at some of them on the official site and it appears that the ''bigger is better'' theory put forward by both Worthington and Roeder in their time here is finally being fufilled.

David Stephens- 6'' 4'', over 14st

Dario Dumic- 6'' 2'', over 14st

Sam Habergham- 6'' 0''

Tom Adeyemi- 6'' 1''

Danny Kelly- 6'' 1''

Adding them to OTJ (6'' 3''), Nelson (6'' 2''), Spillane (6'' 2'') and Doc (6'' 2''), it would appear that we are trying to see as much height throughout the squad as possible.

Bridges and (Troy) Powell are also in excess of 6ft and I think remember reading Berthal-Askou is too- though looking at McSmall, Craig and Whaley we seem to be getting in a decent contrast of stature for next season.

So the question remains, do you think this is a policy that will prove successful this coming season?

Yes this policy will help.  One of the biggest issues for NCFC in recent years is our teams have looked lighweight and been "out muscled" in so many games. I cannot see that happening with the players not being brought in.

I have to say that think the only time I thought Roeder might be the right man for us was when he talked about emulating Bolton, Stoke, Pompey et al and creating a team of big physical players to compete in the champ.

Really pleased to see us getting more stature, too many times last season I looked at the players waiting for set pieces and thought we were fielding our under 11 side!

I think its important. I think if a young player is going to break through they have a better chance if they are physically big and strong. In recent years we''ve produced plenty of skillful and technically decent players but they''ve not really had the athliticism to go with it.

Talking of Hambrgahabergahmber or whatever his name is has he gone on tour as would have expected him to get some time on the pitch up there?

[quote user="Jen_Jen"]

[quote user="KCanary"]Not forgetting Paul Mcveigh at 4ft 2 [;)][/quote]

Not Forgetting Hoolahan At A Mighty 5ft 6  [;)]

[/quote]

And Fatty Matty Patty at 4ft....wide [:P]

Not debating that mate, am happy as to have a strapping side.

Just pointing out that there are some little (chubby) ones in there as well.

Lets hope these lads have more going for them than being tall / built like a brick privy. I can understand a need to get more height and power into the side for next season, but not at the expense of real footballing talent. I can think of quite a few players who look the part (ie impressive physical specimens) but fall down in the attitude dept - a more physically imposing player will lose out to a player of more diminutive stature every time if the mental toughness / will to win isn''t there.

I think that height is good as long as you have players under the 6 foot mark aswell. To be honest although they got promoted, I wouldn''t like to see Stoke style football here next season. Hoof ball would get so boring to watch week in, week out IMO if you can get quality midfielders who can take it round a couple of opponents then pick the perfect pass (like another Hoolahan) then that would be much better to watch, all we need is the cash to be able to get these players in!

I wouldn''t want to see Stoke style football either, but one thing intrigues me. Is it possible to teach a player to throw like Rory Delap, if you can get one with the right physique? If so, why haven''t we all got one? If not, what is it that is so special about him? One for the football brains amongst you.

[quote user="if I promise to behave"]I wouldn''t want to see Stoke style football either, but one thing intrigues me. Is it possible to teach a player to throw like Rory Delap, if you can get one with the right physique? If so, why haven''t we all got one? If not, what is it that is so special about him? One for the football brains amongst you.[/quote]At the end of the day it''s not just down to luck - extra time spent on technique and more sessions on the weights in the gym and anyone could get themselves a decent throw. Suprised more players don''t take it on myself...if you were a, full-back, for example it''d give you a hell of an extra string to your bow and probably a guaranteed starting place in most XI''s.What''s more puzzling is the amount of players (in this country in particular) that are so predominantly one-footed. It''s criminal really considering the hours they have free that they could dedicate to working with the other foot...

[quote user="if I promise to behave"]I wouldn''t want to see Stoke style football either, but one thing intrigues me. Is it possible to teach a player to throw like Rory Delap, if you can get one with the right physique? If so, why haven''t we all got one? If not, what is it that is so special about him? One for the football brains amongst you.[/quote]

I remember hearing on talksport it was because he used to do javelin at a very high level at school, then opted for a career in football. Must be great to have that kind of option available to you!