Jim Smith

Deal or no deal?

I know very few of us have seen 2 of them play but:

Sign Mcveigh, Maric, Craig and Whaley

Save your money on a "big name" striker 

Use that money to keep Clingan.

Deal or no deal?

After watching the Raith and St Johnstone games I would say:

Maric - yes offer him a deal, assuming he keeps up this level of performance in other friendlies.

Mcveigh needs to show a little bit more. But could be a low wage squad player. looks hungry for the contract.

Craig - no. from what I have seen shown nothing out of the ordinary at all. No improvement on what we have. Too small as well I think (for a striker)

Clingan and Russell are as good as gone. This tour is a big team building exercise as well. If you are not on it, then its safe to say your days are numbered.

The other trialist (centr back) Jens who played today looked excellent. Hope he continues liek today as he would be a great addition.

Add Maric, Jens, and maybe Msveigh, and keep Wes. Then if Whaley comes, I will be very happy. Could evcen be another one up Gunn''s sleeve.

Too much criticism towards the squad already. We have looked ok this week, and there is more to come.

Firstly what money is there to save?

Also Clingan will definately leave because he deserves to be playing championship football.

But it would be good if we signed Mcveigh, Maric, Craig and Whaley.

I am working on the basis (because I believe it) that Clingan is not actually that desperate for a move but that we are looking to sell to reduce the wage bill and bring in some funds to buy a striker.

The other possible deal that occurs to me is that Palace have been sniffing around Russell in the past and I wonder if we could perhaps line up some kind of swap deal for Lee involving Russell.

I think Clingan could be class in this league and if we have somehow managed to unearth a free gem in Maric (or any of these others) I would not be adverse to us taking a punt.

I do actually agree with the comment above about the squad getting unecessary stick. I think with the youngsters coming through and a couple of the additions we have made we may well actually go into this season with a better and deeper squad than we had last season and I also think they will have a better spirit and attitude. The question is do we need to splash out for that extra little bit of quality up front. Previously I thought yes we do and i''m prepared to lose Clingan as the sacrifice. Now i''m waivering a bit because I think Cureton, Martin and Macdonald are all decent options at this level and the reports on Maric sound promising.

"Mcveigh needs to show a little bit more. But could be a low wage squad player. looks hungry for the contract" says Tom.

Just a thought Tom, wouldn''t you look hungry if there was the prospect of a contract at the end of it? You certainly wouldn''t play like you don''t give a toss.

As I''ve posted before; most seem to forget what happened the last time WLY was here under Worthington. Let me refresh your memory............

Contract due for renewal, played like a world beater. Contract signed, played like a Sunday league oaf. No way, Paul McVeigh.

Although I hear that the landlord of Delaneys is keeping his fingers crossed..............

Understand your point DC. Was giving my opinion.

But seeing as that''s the logic, please can you tell Chris Craig that he is on trial and also Bridges.

If you saw them today, you would think they both had a 5 year contract under their belts.

I was comparing WLY to them.....having seen them today.

And WLY is no better than a squad player. But would be a cheap one.

[quote user="It s only my opinion"]we still need a proven out n out striker who will get goals![/quote]Andy Bishop!!! proven at this level and wouldnt cost the earth

...Bishop is a name no one has mentioned in a while; might yet be a goer.

IMO we are in a decent position wrt the triallists - there was never any harm in looking at them and we could do with the depth in pretty-much any position - but there''s nothing yet to say that we''ll go for any of them or that they will not have other offers - for example, did Maric not play for Palace the other day?

We''ll just have to wait and see what happens in the coming days.

With clingan (and rusty) wanting out of the club (as they think they are better than us despite being key players on our relegation season) it a no deal for me. 

If any player has no desire to be here - shift them out - and with that attitude £750k IS enough - so a def  no deal for me,  take the cash and buy some talent.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="It s only my opinion"]we still need a proven out n out striker who will get goals![/quote]Andy Bishop!!! proven at this level and wouldnt cost the earth[/quote]

I don''t disagree, sounds like the kind of player who is decent at this level.

......... as I said in another post.

Wait untill we have the Clingan and Russell money and I think we will start looking to add some real quality to the squad.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I know very few of us have seen 2 of them play but:

Sign Mcveigh, Maric, Craig and Whaley

Save your money on a "big name" striker 

Use that money to keep Clingan.

Deal or no deal?

[/quote]

Its a very bad deal..............

If we keep Clingan and he walks next year for free (like Croft) it would have cost us over 1.1 Million to keep him for 1 season.

That''s exactly the same reason Leeds want to sell Beckford.

Beckford won''t sign a new deal so they would rather sell him now than let him walk for free.