Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

Happy with the signings - though we still need a squad cull

Really happy with some permanent signings (finally) - still think we need a few more centre mid (maybe), 2 strikers, and a full back - but what concerns me the most is the lack of serious squad cull.  Fotheringham + David Marshall, was a good start, neither seemed devastated.

Lappin deserved a new contract - he handled himself well - he may not be the worlds best player, but worked damn hard despite everything that happened to him - deserves to stay, plus can pass and with one of the new big boys (gill or OTJ he could play centre mid).

Same for Matty Patty - think will be good at this level, as well as championship and to be honest, if needed he will play anywhere across the midfield - very important in this time.

These are the types to players I want us to keep from last seasons team.  I still think we need to scrap: Jamie Cureton, Darrell Russell, Dejan and probably Jon Otsemeboor.  Its the same reason I dont want Bridges here and potentially McVeigh.  The only reason the 4 I have listed above (I know Russell is off - hopefully) will get in the team is because we are at a much lower standard - not because they care that much or are willing to fight.  I think this is a huge error in this divison, more so than the championship - yes its about ability (hoolihan + whalley) but its also about fight and desire to win.

Do i think Jamie, Rusty, Dejan and Otsemboor, let alone Bridges have that?  No.  McVeigh I just cant decide on - never appeared to have it, but maybe one last chance he would slim down and give it a go, but I remain to be convinced.

Look at trialists we could get in place - ex Barcelona B and a the big danish centre back, these guys sound like they want to prove themselves and have some ability too.

All I am saying is dont keep players who were poor last year just because think they will do well this year - many are older and will just get worse!

I havent mentioned Sammy as would love him to stay - like would of crofty, but can understand them leaving.

What do others think?  I know some people want Jamie to stay + Otsemeboor, Rusty is universally hated it seems - but Dejan?  I just want a squad of people I like and I think are good eggs.

After the Charlton game I wanted the following 11 players to leave:

Bertrand, Otsemobor, Marshall, Leijer, Mooney, Russell, Shackell, Gow. Also Renton, Eagle and Daley because they shouldnt even have contracts

So far we have got rid of 8 of these, so far so good.

Just need to get rid of Otsemobor, Renton and Daley

i do agree with the majority, but i think dejan wants to be here, and will be vital to the team, he is experienced, talented and a good leader.he will provide a mentor for the younger players and yet be able to deal with the rough and tumble of the league.

To include Dejan with some of the others is a little harsh. To dismiss a man who started last season looking a class act and then was injured as being only good enough bcause we are at a lower level and as having no fight is a little harsh.

Not so easy to just "scrap" players if they have a contract. Just ask Roeder and Lappin. Gunn knows he doesn''t need Russell: I''m sure he''s hoping someone will come in for him - even at a knock down price just to reduce the wage bill. The same goes for Pattison - though Gunn may be forced to keep him. (I don''t rate him highly but if he stays let''s hope Gunn doesn''t take the same blinkered approach Roeder took with Lappin).  And some of the trialists may be expensive in wages. I think team Gunn has done a good job on team buildiung to date and we may need some inexpensive utility players to play a game or two - especially if injuries - or, as is looking incrasingly possible, illness - affects the squad.

completely agree with the original post, though the only one slight disagreement is mcveighYep, I don''t want him here now, he''s just too old and small, however in the promotion year and the previous following year including the play-off years I thought mcveigh played an intergral part, wasn''t he our highest goalscorer with 15 goals?! but yeah...he was good then, but no longer now sadly

That''s very tough to include Dejan in that bracket.

He simply has not had the chance and is clearly a quality player, probably pound for pound the best at the club. Impossible to say what he will come back like but it already seems Gunn is trying to edge him out. He has already said he wants to stay and will have taken a bit hit in his wages due to relegation. I would love to see him given a chance.