Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

PARDEW OR GUNN

[quote user="Danielt88"]you really think comparing Gunn''s record is an even handed approach? Sigh.[/quote]Well, you are saying Pardew had two relegations (he had one).  And ignoring his promotions.And Pardew''s one relegation was when he took over a team halfway through a season, like Gunn did with Norwich.But you''re saying Gunn''s relegation doesn''t count, and Pardew''s relegation does count.Now tell me again about that "even handed approach"?

Gunn - let''s give him a chance to see what he can do with his players this season - get a couple of decent strikers signed up and I think we have a pretty decent squad.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Danielt88"]you really think comparing Gunn''s record is an even handed approach? Sigh.[/quote]

Well, you are saying Pardew had two relegations (he had one).  And ignoring his promotions.

And Pardew''s one relegation was when he took over a team halfway through a season, like Gunn did with Norwich.

But you''re saying Gunn''s relegation doesn''t count, and Pardew''s relegation does count.

Now tell me again about that "even handed approach"?

[/quote]

I am saying it on the basis of the success he had with west Ham up till departing and similarly last season with Charlton before jumping ship again.

[quote user="Danielt88"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Danielt88"]you really think comparing Gunn''s record is an even handed approach? Sigh.[/quote]Well, you are saying Pardew had two relegations (he had one).  And ignoring his promotions.And Pardew''s one relegation was when he took over a team halfway through a season, like Gunn did with Norwich.But you''re saying Gunn''s relegation doesn''t count, and Pardew''s relegation does count.Now tell me again about that "even handed approach"?[/quote]

I am saying it on the basis of the success he had with west Ham up till departing and similarly last season with Charlton before jumping ship again.

[/quote]And you''re ignoring his spell at Reading, where he was most successful, because...?  Still far from even handed.  Never let the facts get in the way of poor knee-jerk judgement, hey.  I assume the "88" in your user name refers to your IQ rather than the year of your birth.

agreed seems to me the is a lot more team spirit and players who really want to play for us .

this will be gunns team if it fails then it is down to gunn .

i feel its hardly fair to judge gunn on last season .

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Danielt88"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Danielt88"]you really think comparing Gunn''s record is an even handed approach? Sigh.[/quote]

Well, you are saying Pardew had two relegations (he had one).  And ignoring his promotions.

And Pardew''s one relegation was when he took over a team halfway through a season, like Gunn did with Norwich.

But you''re saying Gunn''s relegation doesn''t count, and Pardew''s relegation does count.

Now tell me again about that "even handed approach"?

[/quote]

[/quote]

And you''re ignoring his spell at Reading, where he was most successful, because...?  Still far from even handed.  Never let the facts get in the way of poor knee-jerk judgement, hey. 

I assume the "88" in your user name refers to your IQ rather than the year of your birth.
[/quote]

as much fun as it would be to share insults with you, I will leave it because I can see it truly isn''t worth it whatsoever. Have a lovely day.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Rough translation: I messed up there and am only digging a bigger hole for myself, but I don''t want to admit it so I''ll just quietly leave.[/quote]

not at all, just so much pointless bickering on this website I don''t wish to add to it quite frankly. I for one am looking forward to a new season and am satisfied Gunn is making progress whereas people on here wait for any opportunity to have a dig again and again. I don''t believe Pardew''s record is great, I accept he did well at Reading, but don''t believe this to be true the rest of the time. Gunn at the same time has ben relegated once having only a few months with a team of loanees. I draw fairly safe conclusions from that. You draw yours. I am not willing to sit and insult you for it as I will lose no sleep over the fact that you seem to think Pardew would make things rosier.

[quote user="Danielt88"]so you''d rather have a Pardew without thinking he''d be doing better? No digging here[/quote]

I said I''d rather have Pardew over Gunn, given the choice. But that doesn''t mean I think Pardew would be particularly good, either.

I was, of course, merely taking issue with your ''facts'' (i.e. mythical relegation, failing to mention previous promotions) and then wondered why you accuse others of not being ''even-handed''.

Being even handed is impossible given who we''re discussing here though, isn''t it?You can''t compare records - one has been a manager for a decade, the other for less than a season.For me it''s who has the higher chance to bind a team of players and fans at this level for a decent push and that''s Gunn at the moment. Pardew may have just the one relegation to his name but he also spent unwisely and oversaw some very poor football, especially at West Ham, that resulted in years of fans demanding his sacking and huge upheaval. I''m going to see if I can find out what some Saints fans think of this but my gut reaction is that they were hoping for someone with a little more oomph!

My daughter was the away mascot for the Charlton match, and whilst she was doing the meet the players and changing room tour I spoke to a number of Charlton supporters in their equivalent of the Gunn Club pre-match about Pardew’s tenure at Charlton. One of them had been involved in local football in SE London for many years and was well acquainted with a number of the players.

All I will say about what I heard is that Alan Pardew, in my opinion, is not the type of character you would want around NCFC.

I have heard the same Tim. A good mate of mine is a Charlton supporter. Impressed he wasn''t.

If I was a Southampton supporter and having gone through all that and thinking there was money invested at last, I would be bitterly disappointed.

Gunn was a poor appointment by the board so I can only hope he proves me wrong, but Gunn over Pardew every time.

Pardew by a country mile, Reading, promotion, Westham, promotion and cup final. Gunn, sheriff of norwich, matchday host, no contest. I dont care if he is a nice guy or not, i personally found guy a arrogant twat but many others think he is the man so i would not worry about a couple of charlton supporters. I still think saints will end up nearer the top six than us even with the deduction, as usual, hope i am wrong.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Pardew by a country mile, Reading, promotion, Westham, promotion and cup final. Gunn, sheriff of norwich, matchday host, no contest. I dont care if he is a nice guy or not, i personally found guy a arrogant twat but many others think he is the man so i would not worry about a couple of charlton supporters. I still think saints will end up nearer the top six than us even with the deduction, as usual, hope i am wrong.[/quote]

Completely off subject, but your new team is playing at Dickleburgh next Wednesday, right?!

Gunn. Pardew would be another ''carousel'' type manager who would come in, change most of the players at great expence, and then move on when another offer came in.

Gunn is doing a great job of recruiting players, bringing in triallists who can be properly assessed before they are signed (or not), and developing youth players and bringing in promising youth traillists. Pardew would be looking at short-term bolt on players in the manner of Grant and Roeder - no thanks, we''ve had enough of that!

Facts are that Pardew is a far more experienced manager than Gunn and obviously has had greater success. But to dismiss Gunn on the basis that he wasn''t able to turn around Roeder''s legacy in the time available, is frankly ludicrous. His moves since have been positive and encouraging and I for one remain optimistic for this season (and what''s more, I won''t moan at all if Gunn is actually successful). A good friend of mine and a lifelong Charlton supporter (like his dad before him) has no time for Pardew. Funny how other clubs always seem to be much better placed than ours. Ron Saunders knew the need for motivation - I believe Gunn does too.

[quote user="ricky knight"]it is yes. do you play for the opposition.[/quote]

No, good mates with the manager though. Looking forward to it, although word is your team is very good (depsite being new?). Does Roy play for you? Dickleburgh are rubbish really, solid but unspectacular.

Pardew,  every time.

But have my fingers crossed that Gunn learns from his spectaculaar series of errors last season.

[quote user="The Undertaker"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]it is yes. do you play for the opposition.[/quote]

No, good mates with the manager though. Looking forward to it, although word is your team is very good (depsite being new?). Does Roy play for you? Dickleburgh are rubbish really, solid but unspectacular.

[/quote]

Yes Roy does play but picked up an injury at Norwich Utd the other night, hoping he will be fit though. Do you know Roy then.